looking for a good microphone [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : looking for a good microphone

Thentort51
07-09-2015, 03:45 PM
I need a microphone and if it's possible to deliver via bestshop-usa.com. I'm going to be using this indoors, in my office and it's going to stay there. I'll use it for video production, just me talking like a podcast.
I'm looking for a good sounding solid microphone, it would help if I could get a nice stand for it down the line but not required.
My price is around $200 lower is better, that's not including a stand.

If you could help me out that'd be great of you, I'm an audio noob, tell me if I need to give any additional info :)

JoeE SP9
07-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Be aware that most of the better microphones are condenser type and need a phantom power supply to work. This means a microphone preamp is necessary in addition to the microphone.

What other gear will you be using with said microphone?

Mr Peabody
07-10-2015, 01:36 PM
I haven't dealt with mics in a while but the Electro Voice neodynium series was excellent. We used to call them the "voice of god" because they were so superior at the time. I'm sure others have similar products by now. The Shure..... S54, I believe, used to be a great seller as well, sort of a classic. Both of these are pro mics though I'm sure you could get a good performer in your budget I've just been out of that loop for a while. Both brands make stellar products though.

RoyY51
07-12-2015, 05:19 PM
The Shure SM-58 has been the go-to microphone for live vocal performances since at least the 70's. I still have mine from that time, and it still works great! You can find it for sale all over the web (Amazon) as well as at most bricks-and-mortar music stores (Guitar Center). The current price looks to be just under $100. Have fun!

Mr Peabody
07-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Sm58! That's the model I was trying to remember, not 54.

The Shure SM-58 has been the go-to microphone for live vocal performances since the 70's. I still have mine from that time, and it still works great! You can find it for sale all over the web (Amazon) as well as at most bricks-and-mortar music stores (Guitar Center). The current price looks to be just under $100. Have fun!

Finch Platte
07-26-2015, 11:05 AM
Sm58! That's the model I was trying to remember, not 54.

And I believe the SM57 is the same mic, just with a squared-off windscreen (or whatever the end is called you speak into).

RoyY51
07-27-2015, 05:05 PM
And I believe the SM57 is the same mic, just with a squared-off windscreen (or whatever the end is called you speak into).

It is a windscreen, and you're right...it is virtually the same mic. However, the windscreen design in the 58 is optimized for vocals, while the 57 was designed to mic instruments and amplifiers.