USB Cable Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : USB Cable Question

blackraven
07-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Is any one using a Wire World Starlight 7 USB cable or an AQ Cinnamon or Carbon cable? How would you rate them? I am leaning to the WW cable. I would prefer to keep the cost under $100 but I could spring for the AQ Carbon.

Jack in Wilmington
07-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Is any one using a Wire World Starlight 7 USB cable or an AQ Cinnamon or Carbon cable? How would you rate them? I am leaning to the WW cable. I would prefer to keep the cost under $100 but I could spring for the AQ Carbon.

I am using the WireWorld Starlight 7 USB cable. Bought it from The Cable Company. I was just getting my hi-rez setup going and didn't want to spend too much on cables. I also bought a Starlight 7 AES/EBU cable at the same time.

blackraven
07-06-2015, 04:14 PM
I am using the WireWorld Starlight 7 USB cable. Bought it from The Cable Company. I was just getting my hi-rez setup going and didn't want to spend too much on cables. I also bought a Starlight 7 AES/EBU cable at the same time.

Jack, have you compared it to other usb cables? I have a friend that bought a $600 cable and swears it makes a huge difference. I have heard that the Anti-Cable USB is great but it sells for over $200. My limit is about $100 and around $75. I have not found that cables make much of any difference in my system. The one cable that made a difference was an AQ Coral IC which tamed some sibilants. A guy on the forum sent me some Synergistic Research cables and they sounded about the same as BJC IC's.

I will probably by the Starlight 7 as people seem to like it and it is not too expensive.

Jack in Wilmington
07-06-2015, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=blackraven;405107]Jack, have you compared it to other usb cables? I have a friend that bought a $600 cable and swears it makes a huge difference. I have heard that the Anti

I had a cheapo USB cable that I used when I was first trying out the whole hi-rez thing. Then when I started to find more material to download, I got more serious with my source and my cables. When you have your next DAC shootout, you should get your guests to bring any USB cables that they are using.

Mr Peabody
07-06-2015, 05:39 PM
I haven't tried the WW USB but had a chance to play with some of their RCA's and they make a very good cable. Just in general I'd prefer the sound of WW over AQ. You might also see what an entry Analysis Plus USB runs.

frenchmon
07-06-2015, 07:07 PM

Yes...I've used the starlight 7 before I got the Neutral cable. Nice rich tones....I still use a Wireworld Ultra Violet 7 from the computer to the iFI PSU and the Neutral from the PSU to the DAC. But whats really the star of the show is the WireWorld RCA cable I have coming from the DAC into the preamp. Its a Silver Eclipes 7 OCC Silver over OCC copper. But its $700,,,But an Excellent RCA!

Feanor
07-07-2015, 04:43 AM
Jack, have you compared it to other usb cables? I have a friend that bought a $600 cable and swears it makes a huge difference. I have heard that the Anti-Cable USB is great but it sells for over $200. My limit is about $100 and around $75. I have not found that cables make much of any difference in my system. The one cable that made a difference was an AQ Coral IC which tamed some sibilants. A guy on the forum sent me some Synergistic Research cables and they sounded about the same as BJC IC's.

I will probably by the Starlight 7 as people seem to like it and it is not too expensive.

Shortly after I got a latest DAC, my Schiit Bifrost Uber, I got a Pangea USB that used silver plated signal wires and cost about $100. I had a 15' cable run which is the official limit for USB, so I thought it might make a difference. In fact it make no difference, that I that I was aware of vs. my $15 USB from TigerDirect; (I didn't do a lot of A-B'ing so I can't be completely sure).

Some time ago, as some might remember, I compared 5 or 6 interconnects, (which are analog, of course). I felt I could hear a difference and I ended up buying a Transparent 'The Link' from a fellow forum member. However I certainly felt too that the differences were very small -- nothing like swapping amps, DACs, or other active component.

When you're into $5000+ components, a couple of hundred bucks for a fancy cable isn't excessive for a slight improvement, but I suspect "huge differences" are delusional -- either that or the replaced cable was defective.

Of course, there are folks who will argue that if you hear not difference with the $200 cable then obviously you need to step up to a $1000 cable, but I'm skeptical.

Mr Peabody
07-07-2015, 06:00 AM
Frenchmon, is Neutral a brand or who makes it? Would that be in Blackraven's budget?

Jack in Wilmington
07-07-2015, 06:59 AM
Frenchmon, is Neutral a brand or who makes it? Would that be in Blackraven's budget?

I looked at the Neutral Cable too, and it looks like a very nice product. The cheapest USB cable is 120 euros which converts to $131 US, so it would stretch Blackraven's budget. The Analysis Plus that you recommended runs $79 for the better of the two listed on The Cable Company website.

frenchmon
07-07-2015, 04:34 PM

Peabody...Neutral cable is a brand and its made in Italy. The owner is Fabio Sorrentino. He makes great cables. Each is made to order. Their budget cable is a little out of Ravens range.....but he is welcome to send Fabio an email to specify what he wants in a cable and he may be able to get a better price than whats showing on his site.

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: Neutral Cable FASCINO interconnect and Power Cable review (http://www.monoandstereo.com/2013/10/neutral-cable-fascino-interconnect-and.html)

Neutral Cable - Fascimo Interconnects and Power Cables | Hifi Pig (http://hifipig.com/neutral-cable-fascimo-interconnects-and-power-cables/)

Here is a great company that makes great cables and is in his price range.

USB - Forza AudioWorks (http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=24)

blackraven
07-08-2015, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys, I will probably go with the Starlight and then buy a Regen after speaking with my friend who bought the Regen and loves it.

blackraven
07-15-2015, 05:29 PM
One of the guys on the Audio Shark forum recommended the new Straight Wire Level 3 USBF 2.0 wire for $150. It has filters on each end of the cable. The dealer says he uses one and it sounds better than the $2K cable he was using. I am concerned that the filtering wound be redundant if I get a Regen.

frenchmon
07-30-2015, 09:13 AM
IF your going to get a Regen...dont worry about spending great money on USB cables. The Regen is the dominate component and chances are 90% that the cable plays a great roll in your system. Users of the Regen are reporting the Regen pretty much only yields about 10% of a cables abilities.