Need recommendation for simple FM radio to plug into my Vizio soundbar [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for simple FM radio to plug into my Vizio soundbar

sandy_bauer@yahoo.com
06-25-2015, 03:47 PM
I need a simple solution to a problem. I bought a Vizio soundbar for my HDTV and love it. I also use it to play music from my iPhone. But I still would like to have FM radio to play through it for a local station I live that plays oldies. Anyone have a suggestion on a cheap radio or receiver I could purchase to give me this capability?

blackraven
06-25-2015, 06:48 PM
What type of inputs do you have on the sound bar? You should be able to find a stereo tuner for cheap at your local pawn shop.

sandy_bauer@yahoo.com
06-25-2015, 07:04 PM
What type of inputs do you have on the sound bar? You should be able to find a stereo tuner for cheap at your local pawn shop.

Inputs on the soundbar are:

Optical (Digital)
Coaxial (Digital)
Analog Audio (2 of these)
USB

blackraven
06-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Inputs on the soundbar are:

Optical (Digital)
Coaxial (Digital)
Analog Audio (2 of these)
USB

You should be able to connect the tuner to the analog inputs as long as the Tuner has RCA jacks or cables.

Mr Peabody
06-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Since you already use your phone, there is a radio ap you can download. I can't remember the name but our local Rock station advertises it so you can listen and not run your battery down.

If your area has a lot of stations you might search Amazon for a HD tuner in order to pick up the extra digital stations regular tuners can't get.

If only interested in the one you mentioned I'd probably check like Craigslist or similar for something used for not much money.

If you already have a radio with headphone jack just buy a connecter where one end fits the headphone jack and the other the analog input of your Vizio and you are in business.

blackraven
06-27-2015, 04:51 AM
You could also buy a cheap 2ch Onkyo receiver like this one-

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8255-Receiver-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B001AMSPQI

Feanor
06-27-2015, 05:08 AM
Since you already use your phone, there is a radio ap you can download. I can't remember the name but our local Rock station advertises it so you can listen and not run your battery down.

If your area has a lot of stations you might search Amazon for a HD tuner in order to pick up the extra digital stations regular tuners can't get.

If only interested in the one you mentioned I'd probably check like Craigslist or similar for something used for not much money.

If you already have a radio with headphone jack just buy a connecter where one end fits the headphone jack and the other the analog input of your Vizio and you are in business.

Tuners are among the most durable of hi-fi components and at the same time demand for them is declining: that makes used tuners are great deal. There are innumerable choices on eBay ... e.g. Sony FM Stereo Quartz Digital Synthesizer Tuner ST JX521 FM AM Tuner VGC | eBay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sony-FM-Stereo-Quartz-Digital-Synthesizer-Tuner-ST-JX521-FM-AM-Tuner-VGC-/361320795379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item542065ccf3)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/ZTQAAOSw7ThUi883/$_57.JPG

Mr Peabody
06-27-2015, 05:41 AM
The vizio already has power so a receiver really would not work for this application.