Pipo X7s, "TV box" running Win 8.1 is on the way [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pipo X7s, "TV box" running Win 8.1 is on the way

Feanor
06-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Whereas most so-called "TV box" media players are proprietary or Android-based, the Pipo X7 runs Windows 8.1 -- a feature I hope to really appreciate. The model I've ordered (from China) is the Pipo X7s with 64GB which goes one better: it dual boots Win 8.1 or Android 4.4

See HERE (http://www.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO-X7s-Dual-Boot-Smart-Media-Player-Mini-PC-Windows-8-1---Android-4-4-Intel-Z3736F-Quad-Core-2G-RAM-32G-ROM-WiFi-Bluetooth---Golden-343087.html), (the one there is 32GB). I will relate my early experience with thing when it arrives which is likely to be a few weeks.

Feanor
07-08-2015, 06:45 AM
My Pipo X7s has arrived and is working well. I'm using mostly to play videos and interface with Netflix.

The X7s version of the Pipo dual boots Win 8.1 and Android; so far I have used only the Win 8.1 which is the major reason I bough the X7 versus the more numerous Android "TV boxes" that are available. The X7s has 2 GB RAM and 64 GB of static memory which ought to be enough for my purposes. I paid US$150 including shipping from China.

I connected my Pipo to my Onkyo AVR via HDMI, and to my network via hardwire RJ45, unfortunately only 100 Mbps but that has proven fast enough. For control, I'm using a Logitech wireless keyboard with touchpad, which is working fine.

The programs I have loaded are:

Drivers for the Logitech
Classic Shell freeware program to provide a 'Start' button, 'cause I have no use for the 'Metro' interface
VLC freeware media player, and
Irfanview freeware photo viewer.

I don't expect to load very much more, and I don't expect to add an antivirus program since I won't be doing random Internet browsing or downloading.

I problem I had was that default Windows theme was difficult to read on my Panasonic plasma TV, even with 'Large' text and icon. However I was able to fix this completely by switching to a 'High contrast' theme which displays, (e.g.) white text on black instead of vice versa.

A fair number of Pipo X7 users have complained of overheating of their machines; so far I have encountered no problems myself. By the sound of it, most of the complainers were running intensive benchmark tests and/or games. I don't expect to be doing these things, nevertheless I ordered a sheet o 5mm heat disbursing foam to effect the simplest overheating protection which is to put the foam between the bottom of the circuit board and the aluminum bottom sheet of the device. The foam hasn't arrived yet but things are working so far w/o apparent overheating.

blackraven
07-08-2015, 07:43 AM
Glad to hear that it is working for you. I was considering buying the PiPo instead of the Vensmile but I read that the USB won't work unless the unit was connected to a monitor or TV. Have you found that to be true?

Feanor
07-08-2015, 09:18 AM
Glad to hear that it is working for you. I was considering buying the PiPo instead of the Vensmile but I read that the USB won't work unless the unit was connected to a monitor or TV. Have you found that to be true?

That's not something I've looked into because, in my case, the whole point is being connected to the TV. But it does seem odd that the USB wouldn't work without a TV or monitor; obviously it would be a show-stopper if one wanted to use a remote app to control the Pipo using a tablet or smartphone.

The only USB device I'm using is the Logitech receiver for the Logitech keyboard/touchpad. My media content is either stored on my network or comes from the Internet.

To reiterate, things I like about the Pipo are:

Hardwired LAN via RJ45 connector
Five USA connectors (albeit no USB 3)
Full-sized HDMI connector, and
Most of all, Win 8.1(vs. proprietary or Android OS).

Feanor
07-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Though my interest in the Pipo X7s was always for Windows, I decide I'd give the Android OS brief try. This worked pretty well but with one significant glitch.

My incentive was that my Internet provider, Rogers, has a Netflix knockoff called 'Shomi' which, as I understood, I couldn't view in a Windows browser but need an Android app.

Accordingly I booted Android, did a few setup operations including connecting to my network and Internet. Android recognized my Logitech keyboard/touchpad that worked OK though I had the impression that the OS really expected a touchscreen. I downloaded the Shomi app (from Google Store); it installed and operated satisfactorily.

As mentioned in my earlier post, my Pipo is connected to my Onkyo AVR via HDMI. Unfortunately this connection usually made a weird clicking whenever I clicked or otherwise interacted -- as though the AVR were redetecting the device or switching modes. So I tried a direct HDMI connection to the TV which worked fine. Of course this limited me to the TV sound which is the pits. I can work around this by feeding sound back from the TV to the AVR via S/PDIF or, at worst, and an analog connection.

Since then I discovered that Shomi does, indeed, work through a Windows web browser so it's unlikely that I'll be using the Android boot in future.