How long can you store speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How long can you store speakers?

WorgenPower
06-04-2015, 08:13 PM
I have a pair of JBL 4312M bookshelf speakers that I got from my grand father from Japan and my question is that do I have to continue to use them to keep them sounding good? Can I put them in the original box and keep them stored under my stairs in my house for many years so I can use different speakers? It will stay dry there under the stairs but I just didn't know if its bad for the speakers to not play any music on them for long time. I thought originally its best to keep them stored since they are a collectors item but if they go bad because of not using them then I better use them.

bfalls
06-05-2015, 04:58 AM
I've had my Klipach Kg4s since the early to mid 80s. The woofers have rubber surrounds, so won't rot like many with foam surrounds. The Kg4s play as well as they every had.

On the other hand I have a pair of T&A P-30 3-ways since the late 80s to early 90s. I discovered just last weekend the foam surrounds of the mids are gone. Of course Dynaudio in CA, who are the current distributor, don't have replacements for the 25-30 year old drivers. I'll have to have the surrounds replaced.

I've also heard that it's good to turn your speakers upside down so the cones don't sag after many years. I haven't noticed any cone sag on any driver of the speakers I have. So as long as your speakers don't have foam surrounds and you store them in a clean dry environment, you should be OK.

JoeE SP9
06-05-2015, 06:48 AM
Replacing foam surrounds is not very difficult. The first time I did it (Advent Mini's), it took an hour from start to finish for the pair.

metalmen
07-08-2015, 10:53 AM
I am new member and joined just now. I have been reading this website forums for last few days. Pls help me if u can

I am upgrading to new Home theater and biggest confusion is speakers. Room size 16 x16feet. 80%movies and 20%music. I have shortlisted following pls suggest in details pros and cons and what should I do.
Sonus faber liuto monitor book shelf 4 speakers + center. 2nd choice is B&W 683 s2 + htm61 + ds3 for surround.

Sonus faber original price is usd9800 and I am getting for usd 4900. It is brand new packed and was discontinued I think in 2012. No doubts is it genuine
B&W 5 speakers will cost me usd 3800.

money is not a problem but I am confused which is better for me. Some say liuto monitor book shelf is much better than 683 s2 towers and normally compare liuto monitor with B&W diamond series 805.

my doubt is whether book shelf speaker can deliver good bass for movies as compared to 683 s2 towera and though I have heard both at different Places but I am not an audiophile who can judge which sound was better.

I understand there might be lesser bass in liuto since they have 1 driver less and are bookshelf. But I plan to compensate this by buying a good subwoofer REL or Velodyne - if all of u suggest that sonus faber is a better deal.

I plan to add AVR of Onkyo 1030 or 3030 with this set up. Projector I have not decided but I will not put screen and use white wall base.

I need to decide immediately as the person is leaving country. Pls if u have any experience