Computer speakers to TV? DAC? Help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Computer speakers to TV? DAC? Help!

nrgcreator
06-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Hi friends, im having some issues and hoping someone out here can help out!

I have my old computer speakers connected to a cheap TV in my workout room. I have always used a roku box connected (hdmi) to tv and then the tv going into (rca) a fiio D03k to (rca to 1/8'') computer speakers for volume.

My roku died so i moved my wii to this room and connected to TV and lost sound. Im guessing it has something to do with the wii being connected with rca cables to TV instead of the hdmi like the roku was. Having a hard time understanding why the different connection to TV (roku vs wii) effects the audio output from the TV to speakers (via DAC)??? Help!

Can someone / anyone guide me through how to get my computer speakers to revert to working when the tv is on using the wii ? Previously, with the old set up using roku, i did notice the TV volume never worked either, only when it was being used via roku did sound come out of the speakers. Im praying i can just rewire this correctly to work, right?

Here is my set up:
coby TV TFDV03295 - https://www.manualowl.com/m/Coby/TFDVD3295/Manual/185334

Altec lansing computer speakers MX6021 - Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra MX6021 - HardwareZone.com (http://www.hardwarezone.com/product-altec-lansing-expressionist-ultra-mx6021)

Fiio D03K DAC - http://www.noisymotel.com/resources/FiiO_D03K_large4.jpg

wii game console - https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/downloads/WiiOpMn_setup.pdf

thank you all in advance for any possible help you can provide and for everyone else you have spent your time helping!!!

Joey

Mr Peabody
06-03-2015, 07:45 PM
The RCA output of the Wii is analog, so take the DAC out of the chain and hook your computer speakers directly either to an analog audio output, or even the headphone jack of the TV.

A DAC is (digital to analog converter) so if already analog, no conversion needed. The Roku passed digital signal to the TV via HDMI so you used the Filo to convert that digital signal to analog so the speakers could play it.

Be excellent :)

nrgcreator
06-04-2015, 08:40 AM
The RCA output of the Wii is analog, so take the DAC out of the chain and hook your computer speakers directly either to an analog audio output, or even the headphone jack of the TV.

A DAC is (digital to analog converter) so if already analog, no conversion needed. The Roku passed digital signal to the TV via HDMI so you used the Filo to convert that digital signal to analog so the speakers could play it.

Be excellent :)

Hi Mr Peabody (http://forums.audioreview.com/member.php?u=210010) and thanks for the reply! I feel very silly now that you explain this. I was thinking the DAC resolved the sound issue previously with my Roku so it being the source of the issue now did not cross my mind. I thought was ever went into the TV (roku or wii) would take that audio signal and i suppose turn it into its own and then send to audio out. I did not realize the TV simply is transferring the audio source to the output. It makes perfect sense and i appreciate you taking a moment to explain something so elementary to myself! I look forward to sound this evening when i get home!!!

take good care :)

Mr Peabody
06-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Not a problem

nrgcreator
06-04-2015, 04:00 PM
so i just connected using 1/8'' stereo plug from tv directly to speaker and no sound. I checked to ensure it was not the cable. Input on speakers is 1/8'' (has 2 - one on sub which is used for main connection and one on volume remote for aux) and tv has 1/8'' output. ???? any other ideas?

nrgcreator
06-04-2015, 04:16 PM
so i just connected using 1/8'' stereo plug from tv directly to speaker and no sound. I checked to ensure it was not the cable. Input on speakers is 1/8'' (has 2 - one on sub which is used for main connection and one on volume remote for aux) and tv has 1/8'' output. ???? any other ideas?

update - if i turn the TV off, the sound comes through the computer speakers from the wii. turn the tv back on and the sound reverts to tv speakers?

The TV only has a digital coaxial audio out and a 1/8'' (3.5mm) audio out. When the wii is on (streaming netflix or playing game) sound comes out of tv speakers only, does not work on computer speakers. If the wii is left on and tv turned off the sound then gets sent to computer speakers. wtf? Is my TV broken or am i missing something?

William008
03-01-2016, 02:05 AM
I feel senseless now that you clarify this. I was thinking the DAC determined the sound issue already with my Roku so it being the wellspring of the issue now did not enter my thoughts. I believed was ever went into the TV (roku or wii) would take that sound sign and i assume transform it into its own and after that send to sound out. I didn't understand the TV essentially is exchanging the sound source to the yield. It bodes well and i welcome you pausing for a minute to disclose something so rudimentary to myself! I anticipate sound tonight when i return home!!!

muylujonet
02-24-2020, 04:35 AM
It has never been easier to discover new music, fire up a favorite song, or unearth a forgotten gem. That’s all good. But how do you get the best sound when you listen to Spotify, Apple Music, and other digital music on your tv or laptop?

raovatcovy2020
05-20-2020, 07:11 PM
yes ok