Funkadelic, anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Funkadelic, anyone?

dean_martin
05-28-2015, 02:17 PM
While taking a break from trying to keep up with new artists and releases, I've taken the plunge into the Funkadelic catalog. So far, side one of Let's Take It to the Stage, almost all of Free Your Mind . . . and side one of Uncle Jam Wants You are standouts. There's some serious guitar rock with dance-able grooves goin' on here, especially on Free Your Mind and Let's Take It to the Stage.

Drinking game - drink every time you hear "freak" on side one of Uncle Jam. Warning: Not for the Novice!

I'll be trying at least 2 more titles in their catalog as well as a couple of Parliament titles soon.

Bring the funk!

Mr Peabody
05-28-2015, 07:49 PM
I've been known to funk around. I have Parlament's album Mothership Connection.

dean_martin
05-29-2015, 10:30 AM
I've been known to funk around. I have Parlament's album Mothership Connection.

A little funk never hurt nobody.

Mothership Connection is one I want to check out as well as the Parliament album with the song "Flash Light" which was included on one of my early K-Tel compilation albums or tapes. I still have 2 of those old K-Tel albums. No skips or scratches, but they're awfully noisy now.

Mr Peabody
05-29-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm glad you brought this up, I didn't realize Funkadelic & Parlament were actually two different groups, I did some research and checked out the Clinton history. I will have to go back and check out some Funkadelic.

dean_martin
05-29-2015, 01:52 PM
I'm glad you brought this up, I didn't realize Funkadelic & Parlament were actually two different groups, I did some research and checked out the Clinton history. I will have to go back and check out some Funkadelic.

In addition to the 3 albums I mentioned, I also intend to check out Funkadelic's Maggot Brain and One Nation under a Groove. I'll probably be ready to move onto something else before I get through all their albums (and the Parliament stuff, too). I based my choices on allmusic.com reviews and word-of-mouth from a couple of folks that are huge fans of Funkadelic/Parliament/P-Funk.

Here's my abbreviated take on the Funkadelic albums I've been listening to:
"Free Your Mind and Your A$$ Will Follow" and "Let's Take it to the Stage" have guitar rock elements in the funk while "Uncle Jam Wants You" is funk, but leans towards disco. Considering everything that's going on in the music, the production is outstanding. All I can say about the lyrics at this point is that they're amusing. These are great party records.

recoveryone
06-01-2015, 08:20 AM
One Nation under a Groove is a all time party jam
Chocolate City was 40 years before its time
Mothership Connection By George Duke or Parlament is awesome
Aqua Boogie
Flashlight
Atomic Dog
Knee Deep

All can stand on their own as great funk jams

noddin0ff
06-01-2015, 08:47 AM
I have a few Funkadelic albums--Funkadelic, Free Your Mind, Maggot Brain, One Nation Under

I think I'm partial to the the early years with more of the psychedelic rock-funk, at least compared to One Nation (1978). Someday I'll build the collection further and listen my way along.

Finch Platte
06-02-2015, 10:12 AM
There's a really good thread on Maggot Brain on the Steve Hoffman Music Forum, just go there and search for Maggot Brain.

noddin0ff
06-03-2015, 07:10 AM
I find that forum a bit overwhelming. The first two pages updated within the last 30 minutes and the vast majority of threads about music from the 70s...

Blink and you miss it trying to find a post on anything new. At least it's active, however.

Finch Platte
06-03-2015, 02:21 PM
I find that forum a bit overwhelming. The first two pages updated within the last 30 minutes and the vast majority of threads about music from the 70s...

Blink and you miss it trying to find a post on anything new. At least it's active, however.

Yup, there's a lot of action. I just check it a couple of times a day, and there's usually something on the first couple of pages that interest me.

Or, I'll enter a band in the search box and read 'em that way.

And the last time I looked, Funkadelic was from the seventies. What's yer beef? :*D

noddin0ff
06-04-2015, 06:02 AM
And the last time I looked, Funkadelic was from the seventies. What's yer beef? :*D

Well, yeah. But. But. But.. I don't need to go read and discuss several pages of posts about 'em. I mean three separate threads this year with Maggot Brian as the subject? O v e r k i l l

Oh hey, Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard have a new album out!

dean_martin
06-04-2015, 08:13 AM
I have a few Funkadelic albums--Funkadelic, Free Your Mind, Maggot Brain, One Nation Under

I think I'm partial to the the early years with more of the psychedelic rock-funk, at least compared to One Nation (1978). Someday I'll build the collection further and listen my way along.

I tend to agree at this point, but I'm just getting started. Free Your Mind and Let's Take It to the Stage have a Hendrix vibe going' on. They even mimic Hendrix's voice on Be My Beach and take shots at James Brown, Earth Wind & Fire, the OJs (I think) and probably others. It's hilarious and it grooves.

I had 2 Barnes and Noble gift cards from Christmas and last year's b-day that I used on their $4.99 cd sale. All their Parliament titles were included in the sale. I ordered 3 along with some other stuff. I hope they get here by the weekend.

Most Funkadelic titles were reissued on vinyl not too long ago and are readily available. I just got Free Your Mind and Let's Take It on vinyl. I like'em so I'll be getting a couple more Funkadelic titles soon.

Finch Platte
06-04-2015, 09:01 AM
Lol, "Maggot Brian".

Can't wait to call my friend Brian that. :*]

dean_martin
06-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Lol, "Maggot Brian".

Can't wait to call my friend Brian that. :*]

I saw that! Maggot Brian had 3 separate threads. Thanks, noddin.

noddin0ff
06-04-2015, 12:51 PM
I aim to please

Worf101
06-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Ah right in my wheelhouse...

We're about the only band in the area that does any Parliament/Funkadelic. We do:

"Cosmic Slop"
"Red Hot Momma"
"Standin' on the Verge"
"Hideous Mutant Freaks"

We also play snippets of:

"Flashlight"
"Atomic Dog"
"One Nation Under a Groove"

These are usually intermixed with other grooves particularly James Brown. Not easy to play, not easy to emulate. One of the few things from the 70's I actually enjoy...

Worf

frenchmon
06-24-2015, 05:19 AM
Oh...I'm late to this party! I lived all the P-Funk, Bootsie, Brides of Funkenstien days to the fullest! Back in the day, while they where in their prime, theyed have all the musicians come and do a concert with all those bands that shared all the same band member....with only a few changes. And all the crazy costumes and the drugs. At one Parlament-Funkadelic concert, on stage, their was a huge skull which appeared to be just hanging in mid air...and it had this huge joint in its mouth that looked like it was lit and it smelled like weed. Boy....those where the days. And the original maggot brain....yes, I saw it live....Eddie Hazel and Michael Hampton both on guitar...and if memory serves me right...Eddie Hazel played the entire show with only a huge diaper on with a passifier in his mouth.

Here's the original Maggot Brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao

3LB
07-18-2015, 06:29 PM
What Worf, no Unfunky UFO?