TT system on a budget! - noob [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TT system on a budget! - noob

jack hogarth
05-24-2015, 05:05 AM
Hi guys first time on the forum and just getting into sound quality, it's an enjoyable realisation of some of the classes I take at uni.

basically completely new to the audiophile scene, and if i'm fully honest I'm mainly here because from what i read on other threads in this forum there are some really knowledgeable friendly people willing to help noobs like me, i really like the idea of vinyl records, not sure what it is, as well as the truer sound i've read about.

I really appreciate a more accurate sound. (after getting a reasonably decent pair of headphones, ath-m50x, I find myself wanting more and more from my music.)

Basically I'm willing to drop about 500 total (australian dollars) and i'm looking to buy completely used (I should be able to do basic repair jobs - engineering student, but still fairly limited in practical knowledge so nothing to intense- do have access to decent workshop)

from what i've seen looking through audiophile forums is that i want to sink most of that money into speakers (can only use two for TT? confused about this!), then get a decent receiver (although i'd like an explanation of exactly what a receiver/amp does and the difference - just distortion-less amplification and distribution?) and then - just for now - settle with a TT that has reliable spin and just basically works, as that can be upgraded when i have the money for a better system and retire this one.

The problem is everything in Australia is overpriced as hell and even second hand stuff is hard to come by at a reasonable price - not helped by the fact that i don't really know what 'good' is here.

I live in Tasmania which is a state in australia and apart from garage sales (would also love some advice on what i should look for at garage sales) i basically have access to - Tasmania | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-tas/l3008843) - similar to your craigslist i assume, based on my basically zero knowledge it's mainly BPC (had to google what that meant) but then again some of it might not be soo bad for what i'm looking for, again i have no idea.

I found this and was wondering whether i should look into any of the components yamaha RX-v675 plus other Yamaha BD, CD Gear, Home Cinema | Radios & Receivers | Gumtree Australia Sorell Area - Sorell | 1078976168 (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sorell/radios-receivers/yamaha-rx-v675-plus-other-yamaha-bd-cd-gear-home-cinema/1078976168) and apart from that any general advice/tips appreciated.

After reading this if you think this thread should be in a different place just let me know :)

jack hogarth
05-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Can anyone comment on the quality of these speakers,

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speakers - Computer Speakers | Harvey Norman Australia (http://www.harveynorman.com.au/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers.html?CAWELAID=720013240000020131&gclid=CN7AmKrJ28UCFQIJvAodar8ADA&gclsrc=aw.ds)

(currently used on my pc) purchased about a year ago before i even though about sound quality. - could they work for decent sound?

blackraven
05-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Jack, take a look at the Denon dp-300f and Teac TN-300 turn tables, both are excellent budget TT's and great starter turn tables. There are cheaper TT's but they will be of lesser sound and build quality. Both of these have cheap built in Phono Preamps which will do until you can afford to upgrade to a stand alone phono preamp which will greatly improve the sound.

The Orbit U-turn TT is another budget TT with pretty good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FMNBXG/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=28630141047&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14000877334071979524&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_21k9d9ssim_b

TEAC TN-300 (Cherry) Manual belt-drive turntable with pre-mounted cartridge, USB output, and built-in phono preamp at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_063TN300CH/TEAC-TN-300-Cherry.html?tp=200&awkw=104912733385&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=59220123985&awdv=c)

U-Turn Audio (http://uturnaudio.com/)

Here is another budget TT from Denon-

Denon DP-29F Analog Record Turntable at World Wide Stereo (http://www.wwstereo.com/Denon/DP-29F?gclid=CMHWorjR28UCFQwMaQody5oAXw)

You will want a set of real home audio speakers instead of the Klipsch computer speakers for good sound.

You can use a 2ch receiver or a multichannel home theater receiver for the TT. A 2ch would be better but you may be able to find good deals on used and out dated home theater receivers. Look for Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha. Just remember that if the TT does not have a built in Phono preamp ( most don't except for budget TT's) then the receiver should one built in or you will need to buy an external phono preamp.

TT's and CD's are only 2ch. Multi channel is for home theater (movies) and surround sound or multichannel SACD.

What gear are you exactly looking for on the $500 budget?

Larry

jack hogarth
05-24-2015, 04:39 PM
The main focus of the system will be good sound from vinyls. if it at all improves my PC sound (using the klipsch speakers throught the reciever as-well) that's just a bonus

Having just contacted my 'life long musician and music teacher' step father, i've been informed he has an old high quality receiver (will post the make/model when i get it) with 2 home built speakers that i can have, i'm thinking this might do me for now (possibly upgrade the speakers as he implied they're not ideal).

upon learning this i was thinking maybe all i really need is a decent turntable and i thankyou for your recommendations - furthermore do you recommend buying new or trying to pick up a used TT

One of the major problems being in Australia is our ridiculous price mark-ups

jack hogarth
05-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Update:

The receiver I can get from my stepdad is a Proton D540 any comments on the quality of this unit, and whether it could be used effectively in conjunction with a decent turn table and 2-channel speaker setup?

blackraven
05-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Proton use to make nice gear, unfortunately they went out of business. I use to like their gear and owned a pair of their car speakers. Here is a review on the D540.

Proton Integrated Amplifier May Solve Power Dilemma - tribunedigital-chicagotribune (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-01-10/entertainment/8601030337_1_amplifier-dynamic-power-musical-peaks)

As far as used TT's, consider a Rega P3 or P5, Music Hall MMF 5.1 or 7.1's, Pro-Ject Xpression, Debut Carbon

Mr Peabody
05-26-2015, 08:39 PM
The Proton D540 is an excellent starter amp and a nice piece to build around. The design is similar to NAD if that helps any. As you stated make do with the free speakers and sink your budget into the turntable and cartridge. For new see what a Pro-Ject Carbon Debut would cost, it should come with a cartridge. Used many of the old Japanese direct drive tables have a big following, Pioneer, Kenwood, Technics etc. Also, the DJ table Technics 1200 is legendary and some say it's a good music table.

There's good info/videos on turntable set up etc on youtube.

$500 Austrailian dollars is $387.00 USD guys.

If you see some tables for sale let us know what they are and we can let you know whether it's a decent option. I'm happy to see you getting the D540 it's so much better than what you could have ended up with.

A receiver has the tuner, preamp and power section in one box. An integrated is the pre & power amp in one box with no tuner.

thekid
05-30-2015, 02:00 AM
Jack welcome to AR!
It looks like you are off to great start with your system.
As someone who has has built several budget systems let me recommend using garage sales or your equivalent of Craigslist. You may be very surprised what you can find there. Just do a little research (AR can be a good source) on the brands to look for. The beauty of this method is that you can spend a little money and gradually increase the quality of your system. Specific to Turn Tables Older Technic tables can be fairly common and with a good cartridge be a good performer. Good Hunting!!!

hifitommy
07-20-2015, 03:30 PM
jack hogarth----yes, i can. these are the Klipsch speakers that i use with my computer every day and they are quite satisfying tonally if i cut the bass nearly all the way down. still, the bass is aplenty even though they dont go to 20Hz, as well they shouldn't for their size. they image nicely and have good depth.

i am going to guess that that is the Oz price, they are considerably less here. that you have them is good and you should feel lucky to have such good speakers on the comp.