Reference 3A Royal Master [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Reference 3A Royal Master

scenic
05-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Hi everybody, I have pair of . They sounds wonderful. When I glanced inside, I saw that high frequency speaker is connect through Mundorf Supreme 4,7 uF capacitor, but there is one more , very cheap chinese capacitor 3,3 uF. Does somebody know, why here connect two capacitors? Maybe somebody have these speakers or a scheme how must be connect the high frequency speakers in theese monitors?

bfalls
05-13-2015, 08:36 AM
The work doesn't look very clean. I may be a modification made by the last owner. Did you buy them new? Is this the entire crossover, it looks pretty simple?

bfalls
05-13-2015, 08:44 AM
I found an article about these by Jonathon Skull. In it he states "Importer Goldstein gleefully described a minimalist single capacitor and three resistors that make up the crossover for the tweeter." I didn't see any resistors in your picture. The previous owner may have been adjusting the tweeter to his own taste. If they're "wonderful " now, I wonder what they sounded like before.

scenic
06-18-2015, 12:59 AM
Yes, Stereophile magazine, for example, describe Royal Master :
Crossover: impedance-compensated slow-rate–type high-pass, –3dB at 3kHz; no low-pass, the woofer/midrange rolls off naturally from 3kHz to 10kHz at 6dB/octave...
Importer Goldstein gleefully described a minimalist single capacitor and three resistors that make up the crossover for the tweeter.
Another site describe crossover like:
The crossover contains special a Musicap capacitor which assures a smooth decline of the characteristics from 3 kHz upwards (-3dB, then 6 dB per octave) and proper impedance corrections. I don't know must be there 1-st order filter, only capacitor? If yes it must be about 8.8 uF for cutoff at 3000 Hz, if second order - about 4,7 uF?