Canada forcing cable companies to go a la cart [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Canada forcing cable companies to go a la cart

Smokey
05-03-2015, 10:41 PM
As cable companies in USA debating whether to go ala cart or not, citing reasons such as it will kill niche television channels, or will drive up the cost of cable.

Canada has decided to force the issue on cable industry and exploring what an a la carte future would look like. After holding fifteen months of consumer hearings, Canadian regulatory agency the CRTC has decided to take some action.

The CRTC this week issue a ruling requiring not only that Canadian cable operators provide a discount $25 entry level core TV tier, but that above that, users are allowed to pick channels a la carte.

In a statement, the CRTC explained it this way:

"Canadians, who choose to do so, will be able to supplement the entry-level television service by buying individual channels that will be available either on a pick-and-pay basis or through small, reasonably priced packages. If they so choose, they will have the option of selecting theme-based packages—such as sports, lifestyle or comedy—offered by their service providers.

By December 2016, Canadians will be able to subscribe to channels on a pick-and-pay basis, as well as in small packages. In addition, Canadians will have the choice of keeping their current television services without making any changes, if these continue to meet their needs and budgets."

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150326/07420230449/canada-forces-la-carte-rules-cable-industry-bell-pouts-refusing-to-show-regulator-television.shtml

With high rising cost of cable and consumers looking at internet as alternative (Netflix, Ruko, etc..), IMO cable and satellite companies in USA have no choice but to offer ala cart service too.

Cable giants such as HBO already offering stand alone internet subscription, and others may soon to follow.

Feanor
05-04-2015, 03:16 AM
As cable companies in USA debating whether to go ala cart or not, citing reasons such as it will kill niche television channels, or will drive up the cost of cable.

Canada has decided to force the issue on cable industry and exploring what an a la carte future would look like. After holding fifteen months of consumer hearings, Canadian regulatory agency the CRTC has decided to take some action.

The CRTC this week issue a ruling requiring not only that Canadian cable operators provide a discount $25 entry level core TV tier, but that above that, users are allowed to pick channels a la carte.

In a statement, the CRTC explained it this way:

"Canadians, who choose to do so, will be able to supplement the entry-level television service by buying individual channels that will be available either on a pick-and-pay basis or through small, reasonably priced packages. If they so choose, they will have the option of selecting theme-based packages—such as sports, lifestyle or comedy—offered by their service providers.

By December 2016, Canadians will be able to subscribe to channels on a pick-and-pay basis, as well as in small packages. In addition, Canadians will have the choice of keeping their current television services without making any changes, if these continue to meet their needs and budgets."

I can hardly wait for the implementation of a la carte, although I don't expect to save any money personally. Perhaps for some people the good news is that basic packages will be cheaper then presently, but in my case a basic package would be worthless.

I'm a bit of a new junkie and I watch various news channels: CBC, CTV, (these are Canadian), BBC, CNN, MSNBC, and Al-Jazeera. (No, I never watch Fox News, and yes, Al-Jazeera is good, more objective than Fox, and has no commercials.) I also watch Canadian versions of Discovery, History, Science, and Space; also I watch PBS. These channels are about it, but presently several are scattered in separate packages; depending on a la carte prices, I might or more likely won't save any money.

ForeverAutumn
05-04-2015, 01:12 PM
I believe that the purpose of this move was to ensure that everyone has access to basic television. With the cost of cable rising and so many channels being added, it has become unaffordable for many people.

I just looked at my own provider's web site (Bell) and the lowest priced package would cost about $51.92/mth after tax, and that does not include a PVR. With a PVR the cost is $60.96. For a low income family, that's a huge amount of money to have to dish out each month.

Smokey
05-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Thanks Feanor and FA

I don’t have cable so can’t give perspective in that regard, but like Feanor said, basic chhnel packages are mostly crap, poplated by shopping networks, talk or Tv show channels infested with commercials.

If they ever offer ala cart options in USA, there would be only two channels I be interested in. Premium channel Cinemax (they have the best variety), and classic movie channel TMC. They can have the rest :)