Star Trek films on Bluray [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek films on Bluray

Smokey
04-26-2015, 09:32 PM
http://www.blam1.com/startrek/images/FilmCast.jpg

Being a big fan of original Star Trek movies, I had them on VHS and then DVD. So step up to bluray was next natural step J

Bought first four films (Motion picture, Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage Home) on Bluray and picture and audio quality is definitely step up from DVD. Higher resolution give picture quality that oomph that was missing from earlier format.

For example, in Wrath of Khan switch and instrument panels aboard Enterprise are much sharper and you could actually read some of them. And higher resolution makes special effects more effective. Such as Genesis planet scene blowing up

Of all four films, The Voyage Home is the weakest link in term of picture quality. Compare with the other three, picture is way too soft and less dimensional. Definitely not living up to its bluray format potential..

Jack in Wilmington
04-27-2015, 04:14 AM
http://www.blam1.com/startrek/images/FilmCast.jpg

Being a big fan of original Star Trek movies, I had them on VHS and then DVD. So step up to bluray was next natural step J

Bought first four films (Motion picture, Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage Home) on Bluray and picture and audio quality is definitely step up from DVD. Higher resolution give picture quality that oomph that was missing from earlier format.

For example, in Wrath of Khan switch and instrument panels aboard Enterprise are much sharper and you could actually read some of them. And higher resolution makes special effects more effective. Such as Genesis planet scene blowing up

Of all four films, The Voyage Home is the weakest link in term of picture quality. Compare with the other three, picture is way too soft and less dimensional. Definitely not living up to its bluray format potential..

That's a shame, because The Voyage Home is my favorite of the original movies. I figured that I would start to build my BluRay collection when I had a dull minute.

Feanor
04-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Thanks, Smokey,

But frankly if I never saw any of these flicks again, it would be too soon.

Jack in Wilmington
04-27-2015, 07:08 AM
Thanks, Smokey,

But frankly if I never saw any of these flicks again, it would be too soon.

It's safe to say then that you are not a "Trekie", correct?

Feanor
04-27-2015, 10:48 AM
It's safe to say then that you are not a "Trekie", correct?

Well yes & no. It's fair to say I enjoyed the TV series more than the movies. BTW, Voyage Home was my favorite of the latter.

Smokey
04-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Well yes & no. It's fair to say I enjoyed the TV series more than the movies.

TV series (don’t have it yet) also got some excellent episodes too. Paramount studio added more special effects to TV series which are also on bluray.

Form the previews, picture quality seem to be excellent. And since Tv series was shot on film, the resolution should also be good too.

And also agree about Voyage Home being as favorite. Of all four films, Wrath of Khan seem to gotten most special care in terms of remastering video and audio. I don’t think studio spend the same effort to Voyage Home.

sarkis
04-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Great film
кошки найди отличия (http://koty-online.ru/)