Power Cuts in Asia [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Power Cuts in Asia

tony340
04-21-2015, 05:42 AM
Hello everyone, i live in vietnam and my office is subject to random power cuts, there is about a 10 sec gap where the generator kicks in to power the building. I must note, these arent power surges or anything, just where the power goes off. Now i have a system in my office, a Nad 3020i with Pioneer bs-22lr and a marantz player. My question is, can these power cuts have any affects to the system? Today the power went off, and came back on in like ten secs, the cd player goes automatically to stby but the amp switch being physically on meant it came on when the power came on. And i heard a very slight noise thru the speakers went the power came. The system sounds fine. But can this cause any damage to it? Cheers

blackraven
04-21-2015, 08:26 AM
Yes it can hurt your gear. Power surges are never good. You may want to get an APC with battery back up-

http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=29

tony340
04-21-2015, 08:42 AM
Thanks BR, actually it isnt a power surge per se. Whats happening is a total loss of electricity (power cut) there isnt any issues regarding lightening strikes or a sudden surge in high voltage. Just a power failure. But when the power comes back on, if i am out side the office or something, the amp switch being still in the On position, comes on. Is this still something to concerned with, do i need to get one of these APC's? Thanks

Mr Peabody
04-21-2015, 01:50 PM
I would get some type of power conditioner or protection. In your case it may be best to get one where the unit shuts off and stays off until you turn it on or reset it. You really wouldn't be aware of a power surge unless measuring the voltage at the time. Your gear is probably designed to take some surge and dip within a parameter but a power conditioner can be sure the voltage stays within that parameter or even stable. There's various types and styles of these devices.

tony340
04-26-2015, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the advice as always Guys. Appreciate it. I'll check on what's best I can get over here in terms of a power conditioner. But just to clear my mind, is there anyway to actually make sure if there was any damage done to either amplifier or speakers? As far as I can hear, the sound is the same, but any checks that can be done to really know if it's ok or damaged? Cheers

Mr Peabody
04-27-2015, 09:47 AM
I think if everything sounds alright you are fine. The only check I'd know of would be to send it back to the factory or a tech to go through it and make sure everything is measureing alright. That could be expensive.

tony340
05-20-2015, 01:05 AM
Just checking if any of u guys have had this product with ur components, 'Tripp Lite Isobar surge suppressor- premium surge, spike and line noise protection'

Would this protect the equipment good enough from power cuts etc? Cheers

Mr Peabody
05-20-2015, 03:39 AM
I'vI've not used the Tripp Lite before but it should be fine for protecting your gear. They've been in business for a long time. Be sure to get the correct version for your country's voltage and frequency. U.S. is 110v & 60Hz where Europe and many other areas use 220v & 50Hz. What voltage do you receive?

Feanor
05-20-2015, 07:22 AM
Just checking if any of u guys have had this product with ur components, 'Tripp Lite Isobar surge suppressor- premium surge, spike and line noise protection'

Would this protect the equipment good enough from power cuts etc? Cheers

Tripp Lite protectors work as well as anything for surge protection. I have 3-4 of them. Their 'Isobar' versions provide multiple isolated RMI/EMI plug banks that also work very well. I haven't tried any of their voltage regulating products; these are in a higher price category than their Isobar simpler surge & RFI/EMI filter products.

tony340
05-20-2015, 07:30 AM
Thank you Mr P and Feanor very much, highly appreciated. Yes, its 220-230 here in Nam. I will get it for both my systems thanks very much.