Mananana is Record Store Day [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mananana is Record Store Day

Finch Platte
04-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Had such a massive response from last year (4 posts?), I thought I'd try again.

Anyone going?

I have no interest in vinyl, but I sure dig the freebies and promo stuff. Let's see your haul!

Jack in Wilmington
04-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Big day here at the record store, Finchy. Luckily I can walk to the store (about 100 yards away), as there wasn't a parking spot to be had in the lot. Picked up a couple Saint Sans LP's in the used area, but the only things I could find new were ones that I have on order. Nice though just to chat with other vinyl collectors about turntables and phono preamps.

Finch Platte
04-18-2015, 02:00 PM
Big day here at the record store, Finchy. Luckily I can walk to the store (about 100 yards away), as there wasn't a parking spot to be had in the lot. Picked up a couple Saint Sans LP's in the used area, but the only things I could find new were ones that I have on order. Nice though just to chat with other vinyl collectors about turntables and phono preamps.That's cool that you live so close by, I would be in serious trouble, money-wise. :p

As it is, I work in the center where the Rasputin's is, so I was able to view the action from the get-go. The first in line was a group of older ladies, who were waiting to get stuff for their nieces. They got there at 7, the store opened at 11 :eek: I was able to take my lunch at 11, but when they opened the doors, there were about 30-40 people in line. The line progressed slowly, as people were funneled directly to the bins that held the RSD exclusive items. Eff this, I thought, as I had no wish list*, and didn't want to wait in line just to see what they had, out of curiosity's sake. So, I went and grabbed some lunch.

When I got back, about a half hour later, the line was gone, so I was able to look through the records. The absolutely ONLY thing I saw that I liked was an LP of Gov't Mule doing some Stones songs. I set it aside, briefly, then put it back. Like the Mule, dislike the Stones, so why should I pay $20 for songs I don't even like, on a format that I rarely use, if ever?

I then hied over to the small swag table, where pickins were slim. Picked up a couple of stickers, a metal cd comp and a couple of beer cozies. Then I rummaged through the promo posters and scored gold, Jerry, GOLD. On the bottom were several posters put out by Dogfish Head Brewery, especially for RSD. Dogfish Head, Analog Beer For The Digital Age, with a troll-like creature dropping the needle on a Victrola sitting on a mushroom. Score! I grabbed 3 of them and ran. I'll try to find a picture and post it.

All in all, fun, and I'm thinking it was good times for all. RSD lives, may it never die!

* Edit:: Not entirely true, as I would have picked up the Metallica cassette if they had one, but the clerk said they got about 6 and they were all gone. Oh, well. Another format I don't use. Meh. http://d16rdsjyxf6oae.cloudfront.net/files/images/DFH_RSDpostersmall.jpg Lol. These are already going for $21 plus $6.50 shipping on eBay. :mad:

Swish
04-19-2015, 03:24 PM
I stopped at a great store in Ephrata, PA called the 'Record Connection'. It was packed, making it really tough to browse. I did buy a few nice slabs of vinyl, including the new Hiss Golden Messenger named 'Lateness of Dancers', along with two old-timey jazz records; Coleman Hawkins - 'Night Hawk' and Sonny Rollins - 'Moving Out'.

I haven't bought jazz records (or CDs) for a long, long time, but got hooked again by watching 'Bosch' on Amazon. It's about a detective who had a rough upbringing (mom was a hooker, became an orphan) who listens to lots of jazz. I used 'Shazam' to find out what he was listening two and they led me to those 2 slabs. I certainly knew of both artists, but would never be able to tell who they were by hearing those instrumental tunes.

When I was checking out, a guy who I assume was the owner said it was the biggest day he's had in over 20 years. They had a huge selection of vinyl, as well as a large CD and 45 section. I'll be back!

Finch Platte
04-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Sounds like you've never been to that store before?

If they hadn't had people form an orderly line to look at the RS vinyl, I shudder to think what chaos would have ensued inside Rasputin's. :eek6:

dean_martin
04-20-2015, 09:50 AM
I went to 2 stores in the Mobile, AL metro area. I picked up 3 of the "side-by-side" 45s, a Bonnie Prince Billy 45, the soundtrack to Shogun Assassin, Lemonheads Peel session release called Bored on the 4th of July, and a Replacements 10" EP.

My fave is the Shogun Assassin soundtrack (from the Lone Wolf and Baby-cart/Cub films). It's a gatefold with full-size movie poster! The opening track is the opening to the movie in which a child narrator sets up the story of how his father became a vengeful killer. It's chilling!

The rain here on the Gulf Coast kept the crowds steady but smaller than last year. I missed out on my main items from the list - a couple of soundtrack LPs and Kinks 45s. I wasn't quite "feelin' it" this year compared to previous years probably because I expected that both stores I went to would have The Lego Movie soundtrack which I intended to get as a gift for my nephew. Neither store got a copy.