Got a surprise phone call from Mariska Hargitay last Thursday [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Got a surprise phone call from Mariska Hargitay last Thursday

Hyfi
04-14-2015, 10:17 AM
If you are unaware, Mariska Hargitay is one of the stars of Law & Order SVU. She is also the daughter of the late Jayne Mansfield and Mr Universe- Micky Hargitay. I'm not going to retype the whole ongoing story but will give a few details. For the complete blog, see this link-

Boardwalk Empire – A real life connection (http://audioshark.org/general-off-topic-forums-103/boardwalk-empire-real-life-connection-6660.html#.VS1WFuGPb9Y)

Long story short, my wife's Uncle was a beautician and worked with many starts visiting the 500 Club in Atlantic City NJ during the 50s, 60s. He was also close friends with the owner of the 500, Paul Skinny D'Amato who was closely connected to the mob.

We recently came into possesion of a portfolio of pictures, some signed and some not, of some of the greats including 5 personally inscribed and signed pics of Jayne Mansfield having a wig worked on in his shop, one with then husband Micky Hargitay in it.

Thru much research I found Mariska had a foundation, Joyful Heart, for domestic violence and abused women. I reached out to their Contact Us email asking if there was any way I could get in touch with Mariska to share the pics. Several weeks went by until we got a response with the name, addy and email of Mariska's Personal Assistant. We corresponded several times with our intentions and asked for an autographed pic of Mariska in return and maybe something about the pics. Before we could even make the copies, we received a L&O Promo pic of Mariska inscribed to my wife, so that was cool.

Just before Easter we got the copies made and sent of to NY to the assistant, So we waited to hear back when she would see them but a week and a half passed with nothing, but we knew they arrived safely.

So last Thursday night we were chilling out watching the Flyers game when the phone rang. We screen our calls to see who it is and to our surprise, it was Mariska Hargitay calling us to personally thank us for the pictures and to say how touched she was and excited to share them with her family. She talked with us for about 5 minutes and before ending the call, she asked us again what we wanted in return, anything. (sight unseen, she offered to purchase them from us after the first email to her assistant, but that was out of the question) We only asked for a hand written note talking to the pics we sent so we can include it in the collection we now have for provenance.

How cool is that for her to call us and talk?

Other signed pics include Diana Dors, the UK version of Marilyn Monroe, Perle Mesta, Denise Darcel, a few others and a famous pic of both Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin on stage at the 500, with both autographs. Also pics of Pal D'Amato as the Best Man in my wife's Uncle's wedding and more back room gangster pics form the 500.

We are heading to AC next week to meet with the curator of the History Museum, the Archivist at the library to go thru Census and Birth records for info we are seeking, and then meeting with an Antique dealer/collector who also offered to buy the whole package after our first call to him.

On top of all this, these pics have been hidden away in a closet for the last 55 years and were actually in the trash on the curb when my wife's mother finally said something to her.

JohnMichael
04-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Awesome story, thanks for sharing. I am such a fan of Mariska's I would have been tongue tied.

Hyfi
04-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Awesome story, thanks for sharing. I am such a fan of Mariska's I would have been tongue tied.

We were. Had no idea the call would come so no time to prepare. It was over as fast as it happened. I was able to save the 5 seconds of her identifying herself before we picked up.

It will be interesting to see if she sends anything more than we asked for.

thekid
04-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Pretty cool story and kudos to you Hyfi for being a stand-up guy who did the right thing.

TheHills44060
04-16-2015, 10:51 AM
...She is also the daughter of the late Jayne Mansfield...

Wow i did not know this at all.

dean_martin
04-16-2015, 02:30 PM
Nice! Thanks for sharing your story, Hyfi.
http://photos.vanityfair.com/2015/01/21/54c036e810516d590a779ab3_loren_mansfield_better.jp g

I'm kinda enamored of the Hollywood bombshells of the 50s/60s. I love that Mansfield "out-breasted" Loren!

Hyfi
04-17-2015, 03:29 AM
Nice! Thanks for sharing your story, Hyfi.
http://photos.vanityfair.com/2015/01/21/54c036e810516d590a779ab3_loren_mansfield_better.jp g

I'm kinda enamored of the Hollywood bombshells of the 50s/60s. I love that Mansfield "out-breasted" Loren!

You are going to want to look into Diana Dors, who was the UK Monroe of the day. We have 3 pics of her getting her hair done my wify's uncle, 1 of them signed twice.

http://img28.fansshare.com/photos/dianadors/diana-dors-wallpaper-1714036868.jpg