My new DAC [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My new DAC

blackraven
04-13-2015, 02:44 PM
I just purchased the Marantz NA-11s1.

Marantz NA-11S1 Reference Network Enabled DSD DAC **B-STOCK** at Music Direct (http://www.musicdirect.com/p-278965-marantz-na-11s1-reference-network-enabled-dsd-dac-b-stock.aspx)

Marantz Reference NA-11S1 Network Audio Player/DAC | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/marantz-reference-na-11s1-network-audio-playerdac)

Feanor
04-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Congrats! That's seems like a very impressive and versatile piece of equipment. Update us on your further conclusions.

blackraven
04-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Thanks!

I will post a review once it is broken in and I have my BAT preamp back in action. I am replacing the 12 out put capacitors. Hopefully I will have the preamp back by next week. I have a friend that is replacing them for me. BAT wanted $75 a cap but I bought the same caps direct from Jensen in Denmark for $20 each.

Jack in Wilmington
04-13-2015, 05:20 PM
Looks like it's going to be time for another shoot out, with the Marantz included.

blackraven
04-13-2015, 06:18 PM
I will have another shoot out in May. I am hoping that the Marantz will be the last piece of the puzzle. I was also considering the Cary DAC-100t, a tube DAC but it does not do DSD and there were a couple of user reviews where guys had both the Marantz and Cary and they ended up keeping the Marantz.

The Marantz I bought was a B stock and discounted for $1000 off. It was a no brainer to buy it. If I don't like it I can sell it for what I paid as used ones are going for about $2500 which is what I paid for it.

I have been resisting computer based music as I like the no hassle of putting a CD in a player without having to fire up the computer (although, this will make me buy a SS hard drive for instant on) , scroll through menu's and play lists. I doubt that I will ever get rid of spinning disc's. When I come home from work and I want to listen to music I can have it going in 30 seconds then crash on the sofa. However, I recently bought JRiver and have downloaded some Blue Coast music.

Mr Peabody
04-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Congrats. It will be interesting to see how the 11s does against the other DACS

Feanor
04-14-2015, 05:48 AM
I have been resisting computer based music as I like the no hassle of putting a CD in a player without having to fire up the computer (although, this will make me buy a SS hard drive for instant on) , scroll through menu's and play lists. I doubt that I will ever get rid of spinning disc's. When I come home from work and I want to listen to music I can have it going in 30 seconds then crash on the sofa. However, I recently bought JRiver and have downloaded some Blue Coast music.
Personally I wonder with an 'network player' of this sort could work for me. As a classical music listener almost exclusively, I deal with multi-movement works so selecting single "songs" and random play are basically useless. Construction permanent playlists is also pretty useless. Further, I like to be able to have variety of music search approaches.

Wrangling discs is a process I've always disliked -- that goes back to the pre-CD LP days, and was probably the biggest single reason I abandoned LPs for CDs, (even though early CDs and CDPs sounded no better, if as good, as LPs). There is still disc handling in case of CDs though it much, MUCH less of a hassle.

So for me I really want the power of a flexible, full-scale UI that Foobar2000 or JRiver can provide. For me it seems effectively faster to boot my computer and use Foobar to locate the compositions I want to suit my current mood.

Be this as it may, the Marantz looks like a great DAC. I note in the Stereophile review that John Atkinson suggest that a USB link to a computer gives the best result vs. S/PDIF or Ethernet.

Jack in Wilmington
04-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Personally I wonder with an 'network player' of this sort could work for me. As a classical music listener almost exclusively, I deal with multi-movement works so selecting single "songs" and random play are basically useless. Construction permanent playlists is also pretty useless. Further, I like to be able to have variety of music search approaches.

Wrangling discs is a process I've always disliked -- that goes back to the pre-CD LP days, and was probably the biggest single reason I abandoned LPs for CDs, (even though early CDs and CDPs sounded no better, if as good, as LPs). There is still disc handling in case of CDs though it much, MUCH less of a hassle.

So for me I really want the power of a flexible, full-scale UI that Foobar2000 or JRiver can provide. For me it seems effectively faster to boot my computer and use Foobar to locate the compositions I want to suit my current mood.

Be this as it may, the Marantz looks like a great DAC. I note in the Stereophile review that John Atkinson suggest that a USB link to a computer gives the best result vs. S/PDIF or Ethernet.

I read that about the USB cable giving the best connection to the DAC also. That's how I have my laptop hooked to my Bryston BUC-1 and then AES/EBU cable from the BUC-1 to the BDA-1 DAC. I was surprised when I read that as I never considered a USB port as top of the line connection.

blackraven
04-14-2015, 09:16 AM
I will be using the digital coax input to play my CD's. Eventually I will rip music to a NAS.
The differences in sound quality are going to be subtle at best from user reviews that I have read.

harley .guy07
04-14-2015, 09:38 AM
I was skeptical of computer audio when I first got into it and now almost all I use is my desktop computer running a USB connection to my PS Audio DAC and this is my preferred way of playing music now. It kills my other options in sound quality and is easy to use. If you really get into computer audio and are a windows user I would highly recommend Fidelizer from WindowsX website. The guy that designed the software is a computer guy and an audiophile and he believes that windows with help from his software is the way to go. I totally believe since I run it and my system now sounds way above its price class. Fidelizer is easy to use and it shuts down processes that are not for audio while you are running it and when you are done just restart the computer and you are back to normal.

frenchmon
04-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Harley....thanks for the infor about Fidelizer ...I will look into it.

Ravin, congrats on the new NA!....what processor are you using? I can have my computer on and playing music in less than 30 seconds....but its a dedicated computer for music only...nothing else but down loads. I've thrown my CDP out as DSD 128 is tops.

Mr Peabody
04-14-2015, 05:21 PM
Frenchmon, where did you throw that CDP?

blackraven
04-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Frenchmon, I am running a Core Duo P9500 CPU at 2.53gHz with high speed ram and a gaming GTX 9800 video card running 64bit Vista. It was a SOTA custom built lap top computer a few years ago. It still runs well and turns on in 30 seconds. I have more modern computers with windows 7 and 8 but this one still works fine. The windows 8 computer turns on in about 12 seconds. Adding a SS drive will boot up this computer in about 15 seconds.

frenchmon
04-16-2015, 02:26 AM

I was going to sell it, but wife wanted it for her office

frenchmon
04-16-2015, 02:38 AM

Just remember that DSD takes one heck of a strong processor. At least an i5 with 3.3 GHz, 6 MB cache, and at least 8 GB memory. Going from the P9500 to an i5 will like going from a 4 cylinder to a 8 cylinder....the extra power/processing will be heard and felt in your system.

I went from a AMD A8 4500 to an Intel i5 and was floored at the difference.

You can check your CPU's benchmark here.

PassMark - Intel Core2 Duo P9500 @ 2.53GHz - Price performance comparison (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Duo+P9500+%40+2.53GHz)

Feanor
04-16-2015, 04:37 AM
Just remember that DSD takes one heck of a strong processor. At least an i5 with 3.3 GHz, 6 MB cache, and at least 8 GB memory. Going from the P9500 to an i5 will like going from a 4 cylinder to a 8 cylinder....the extra power/processing will be heard and felt in your system.

I went from a AMD A8 4500 to an Intel i5 and was floored at the difference.

Wow! Well I guess I won't worry about DSD while I'm still using my old AMD Athlon. BTW, it will handle 24/192 PCM just fine.

frenchmon
04-16-2015, 06:09 AM
Feanor.....DSD has a sample rate of 2822.4 kHz. It is 1 bit,(closer to vinyl than PCM will every be) and is very difficult to process...especially if one bi passes DoP and go native DSD.

if one doesn't have a capable strong processor...especially in native, he will have lots and lots of drop outs and buffering.

Feanor
04-16-2015, 06:56 AM
Feanor.....DSD has a sample rate of 2822.4 kHz. It is 1 bit,(closer to vinyl than PCM will every be) and is very difficult to process...especially if one bi passes DoP and go native DSD.

if one doesn't have a capable strong processor...especially in native, he will have lots and lots of drop outs and buffering.

Yes, but the (single) DSD rate of 2822.4 kHz or 5,644,800 bps (2 channel) can be compared with PCM 24/192's rate of 9,216,000 bps. We might also consider the a 1.5 GHz, 64 bit processor handles up to 96,000,000,000 bps.

blackraven
04-16-2015, 07:25 AM
Eventually I will upgrade my laptop but it is not a priority. I have a laptop with a higher end I3 that I can use.

I think I found a way to stream wireless with this MoCA and using a NAS controlled by my laptop.

https://www.actiontec.com/257.html

It connects to my Cable for TV and will connect to the Marantz via ethernet cable.

For DSD I will need to connect via usb cable directly though

I just did some checking on DSD and my current laptop. There are people using lesser processors and some work fine and others don't. I have a feeling that this computer will do OK. It was custom built and has a high end motherboard, 4 gigs of very fast high quality ram and a high end video card that handles all the graphics and it does not share the computers ram. It was a $2,200 computer. Plus I dont have much running in the background. I can always turn off the antivirus and malware programs when playing.

Of course, I won't know until I try though.

frenchmon
04-16-2015, 08:53 AM
Hi Ravin...Let me know how the MoCA works out for you.

Have you got this one? Lots of good music in there.

https://www.nativedsd.com/

blackraven
04-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Hi Ravin...Let me know how the MoCA works out for you.

Have you got this one? Lots of good music in there.

https://www.nativedsd.com/

Thanks for the tip, I will have to check out the music.

I will probably buy the MoCA in May, once I have had some time with the Marantz and decide if I want to keep it. I have 60 days. It just arrived today.

frenchmon
04-17-2015, 06:20 AM
Cool...cant wait to read your first impressions!

frenchmon
05-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Raven....whats the word on that new Marantrz DAC?

Jack in Wilmington
05-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Raven....whats the word on that new Marantrz DAC?

He must be enjoying it, I'd say. We haven't heard a peep from him since he got it. Not even a review on Axpona.

frenchmon
05-02-2015, 03:35 AM
I'd say you're spot on!

blackraven
05-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Sorry for not posting sooner. I have been very busy with work and then the trip to Axpona. My computer also died, the GPU crapped out on my laptop and can't be replaced. I am going to pick up a new one thursday. In addition, I had my BAT preamp recapped so it was out of action for several days as all 12 output caps in the 6 packs were replaced.

So here's my review of the Marantz. It was not a good match for my system which was unfortunate because the build quality was superb. The sound was another issue. It was way too forward and in your face. Bass was too pronounced. I had to turn off my sub and even then it still sounded like the sub was on. The midrange was recessed and the lower treble was in your face. Female vocals were too forward. The sound was very uneven. I did like the 2 filters. Filter one gave a more airy sound and filter 2 was more focused and analog sounding. The only other thing I liked about the Marantz was the texture of piano, guitars and vocals. They were excellent. The decay of the piano just went on forever especially with filter 1.

I tried the Marantz with my Van Alstine preamp first since the BAT was getting worked on. I figured things would improve with the BAT but it only made things worse as the BAT has great dynamics and powerful bass. So I returned it to Music Direct and it is going to cost me about $130.

I have narrowed my choices for a DAC to the Cary Audio 200ts ( I can get a good deal on this new DAC which has a switch on the fly SS and Tube output stage), Auralic Vega as it sounded great at Axpona and the PS Audio Direct Stream which I would buy used.

Mr Peabody
05-05-2015, 04:07 AM
Blackraven, I liked the DSD DAC but trust me when I say it's not a good match for you. It's pretty much opposite of everything you want, except for detail. The DSD is not overly analytical to where it's not enjoyable but I think it would be more than you would enjoy.

Jack in Wilmington
05-05-2015, 05:12 AM
Sorry for not posting sooner. I have been very busy with work and then the trip to Axpona. My computer also died, the GPU crapped out on my laptop and can't be replaced. I am going to pick up a new one thursday. In addition, I had my BAT preamp recapped so it was out of action for several days as all 12 output caps in the 6 packs were replaced.

So here's my review of the Marantz. It was not a good match for my system which was unfortunate because the build quality was superb. The sound was another issue. It was way too forward and in your face. Bass was too pronounced. I had to turn off my sub and even then it still sounded like the sub was on. The midrange was recessed and the lower treble was in your face. Female vocals were too forward. The sound was very uneven. I did like the 2 filters. Filter one gave a more airy sound and filter 2 was more focused and analog sounding. The only other thing I liked about the Marantz was the texture of piano, guitars and vocals. They were excellent. The decay of the piano just went on forever especially with filter 1.

I tried the Marantz with my Van Alstine preamp first since the BAT was getting worked on. I figured things would improve with the BAT but it only made things worse as the BAT has great dynamics and powerful bass. So I returned it to Music Direct and it is going to cost me about $130.

I have narrowed my choices for a DAC to the Cary Audio 200ts ( I can get a good deal on this new DAC which has a switch on the fly SS and Tube output stage), Auralic Vega as it sounded great at Axpona and the PS Audio Direct Stream which I would buy used.

Sorry the Marantz didn't work out for you. I'll be routing for the Cary, as it is on my short list, if I ever decided to replace my Bryston. I was a little confused when you said you were returning the Marantz to Music Direct and it would cost $130. Is that shipping and handling?

blackraven
05-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Jack, the return shipping with insurance was $89. I will also have to reimburse Music Direct for the free shipping to me.

Mr.P, what DSD DAC are you talking about?

Jack in Wilmington
05-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Jack, the return shipping with insurance was $89. I will also have to reimburse Music Direct for the free shipping to me.

Mr.P, what DSD DAC are you talking about?

Is that the way other online companies work that have 30 day in home trials?

Mr Peabody
05-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Sorry, PS Audio Direct Stream. I'm used to calling it the DSD (Direct Stream DAC) but DSD has a more broad meaning now, I need to keep that in mind, LOL

frenchmon
05-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Sorry the Marantz didnt work out for you. The Cary DAC sounded better with the SS option rather than the Tube option.

Peabody.....I thought the DSD DAC was rather nice! It wasn't as aggressive as the Lampizator...its a tad laid back. It might be a great DAC if Raven wants all his music to do DSD as it doesnt do PCM.

And how has DSD become to mean something else other than Direct Stream Digital?

frenchmon
05-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Raven...this may be of use to you if you're wondering about a few DAC's.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfV UE#gid=0

Jack in Wilmington
05-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Raven...this may be of use to you if you're wondering about a few DAC's.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfV UE#gid=0

Nice spreadsheet Frenchmon. I have to print it out and make sure I take it with me when I go DAC auditioning.

Mr Peabody
05-07-2015, 06:52 PM
I get a feel for what people like, just as on that day I predicted you'd like the Lampizator better and Dave would prefer the PS Audio, and, it worked out that way.

The Direct Stream wasn't "laid back", it was very quick and dynamic, it just wasn't as forward or large of a sound stage as the Lampi. I liked the PS Audio as well, I think if Blackraven didn't like the 11s, the PS Audio is moving in the wrong direction to where he wants to be.

With all that, I have yet to see any one not like the Bricasti which is one of the quickest, hardest hitting DAC's I've heard, it just happens to do it with a tremendous pace and timing, musicality..

Jack in Wilmington
05-08-2015, 05:23 AM
I get a feel for what people like, just as on that day I predicted you'd like the Lampizator better and Dave would prefer the PS Audio, and, it worked out that way.

The Direct Stream wasn't "laid back", it was very quick and dynamic, it just wasn't as forward or large of a sound stage as the Lampi. I liked the PS Audio as well, I think if Blackraven didn't like the 11s, the PS Audio is moving in the wrong direction to where he wants to be.

With all that, I have yet to see any one not like the Bricasti which is one of the quickest, hardest hitting DAC's I've heard, it just happens to do it with a tremendous pace and timing, musicality..

And price tag.

blackraven
05-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Mr. P, I found that the Marantz was too fast. I like a little slower pace. My BAT preamp and Pass amp are fast and hit hard. In fact, since I recapped the BAT the music is much more dynamic and detailed. It sounds like a different preamp. Bass is deeper and faster ( I had to turn down the sub a bit). The music is fuller with much more body and texture. Low level listening is better. Treble is more detailed with a bit more air. The preamp is more musical. I would say the before the recap that I was getting about 85% of the sound that I am getting now.

My point of all this is that the Marantz was too dynamic and the sound was very uneven, so I want a DAC that is musical and detailed with some warmth to the sound. I want a huge sound stage and a midrange that has both transparency and depth like the Bricasti. Speed is not an issue with my system, especially with my Magnepans.

Mr Peabody
05-08-2015, 11:52 AM
That's great the caps made that much improvement for the BAT.

Come on jack, if you are going to play, you have to pay, LOL

Jack in Wilmington
05-08-2015, 01:38 PM
That's great the caps made that much improvement for the BAT.

Come on jack, if you are going to play, you have to pay, LOL

There's pay and there is PAY. I'm on Social Security so it takes a little longer to pay to play.

blackraven
05-08-2015, 03:30 PM
The Bricasti cost's $9,000 which is a little much considering it weighs only 9 pounds. The Marantz weighed in at about 25lbs and the Cary that I am looking at weighs 28lbs. Maybe less is more but not when it comes to the cost of parts and labor. But the Bricasti sounds awesome and magical. The Bricasti room at Axpona used $30K Tidal speakers. It was the best sounding system that I have ever heard, even better than the $130K Wilson Audio and Ayre system that I heard last year. Some systems can do things better than the Bricasti-Tidal room but the overall sound and listen-ability was captivating. I don't know of any one that did not love that room.

Mr. P, the new caps in the BAT takes the premamp to another level. I bet that it sounds like it was supposed to when it was brand new and was considered one of the worlds best preamps by Stereophile back in 2003-2004. I truly cannot believe the sound I was missing. Even my son is amazed and can't stop listening to it. And what is amazing is that the caps are not fully broken in yet. I only have about 30 or so hours on them and it takes about 100hrs to reach their full potential.

frenchmon
05-08-2015, 05:14 PM

Peabody thats what I said. It was laid back....in comparison to the Lampizator I might add. Both DAC's where dynamic...and I like them both, lampi more.

I dont know about the PS Audio not being a match.....you never know most times how a component will work out until you put it in....but we do have our hunches.

Bricasti is nice....but for $9k it better be. the Lampizator Level 7 and PSU is also dynamic and hard hitting, so was the PS DSD....I thought it hit just as hard and was just as dynamic give or take a few....but then again....I didn't have as long a listening session as you.

frenchmon
05-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Mr. P, I found that the Marantz was too fast. I like a little slower pace. My BAT preamp and Pass amp are fast and hit hard. In fact, since I recapped the BAT the music is much more dynamic and detailed. It sounds like a different preamp. Bass is deeper and faster ( I had to turn down the sub a bit). The music is fuller with much more body and texture. Low level listening is better. Treble is more detailed with a bit more air. The preamp is more musical. I would say the before the recap that I was getting about 85% of the sound that I am getting now.

My point of all this is that the Marantz was too dynamic and the sound was very uneven, so I want a DAC that is musical and detailed with some warmth to the sound. I want a huge sound stage and a midrange that has both transparency and depth like the Bricasti. Speed is not an issue with my system, especially with my Magnepans.

Raven....you ever thought about the Resonesse Labs Invicta or Mirus? I hear they are great! Also the AMR DP 777 SE is suppose to be in the class of the Lampi Big 7 . I hear they are one of the best out. Abbingdon Music Research - Products - Digital Processor-777 (http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_individual.html)

frenchmon
05-09-2015, 12:58 AM

Ravin....did you go with a different brand of caps than the originals? I assume you did? What did you have before and what did you change too? I've noticed some time when one goes away from the same named brand caps, the specific sound signature of the manufacturer goes away as well...is this not the case with your BAT?

frenchmon
05-09-2015, 01:10 AM
Jack....thanks for the compliment on the DAC list.

The Lampizator Level 7 is $10k

The Bricasti is $9k

The Cary 600SE DAC is $8k

All "to rich for my blood". (Patrica Barber on the "Cafe Blue" album)

blackraven
05-09-2015, 04:06 AM
Frenchmon, I used the newer version ( they have a lower failure rate than the older caps) of the Jensen Paper-Oil-Aluminum caps that were made specifically for the BAT. These caps were used in the 6 Packs (2 six packs per channel for a total of 12 caps) that made their preamps an SE version that accounts for the great dynamics and bass. BAT sells them for $75 per cap. I bought them direct from Jensen in Denmark for $20 per cap. I new they were going bad because when I changed inputs or turned off the BAT, I would get a loud electronic pop through the speakers. I spoke with Victor Khomenko the designer of the BAT VK preamps and he stated all 12 of the out put caps needed to be changed. He was right.

The difference in sound is due to the fact that the old caps were not discharging well. So now I am getting their full voltage which is 1 Farad and 400V per cap.

Here is a picture of the inside of the BAT. You can see the yellow-orange six packs at the rear of the unit on each side. The front has 4 separate caps of the same values which I am going to replace.

Balanced Audio Technology VK-51SE line preamplifier | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/1103bat/index.html)

Jack in Wilmington
05-09-2015, 04:54 AM
Jack....thanks for the compliment on the DAC list.

The Lampizator Level 7 is $10k

The Bricasti is $9k

The Cary 600SE DAC is $8k

All "to rich for my blood". (Patrica Barber on the "Cafe Blue" album)

That's a great tool to have when you're looking for a new DAC. If you're looking for a particular feature like DSD64, you need to look no further than that list. I wish they made them for other gear.

frenchmon
05-09-2015, 05:23 AM
Frenchmon, I used the newer version ( they have a lower failure rate than the older caps) of the Jensen Paper-Oil-Aluminum caps that were made specifically for the BAT. These caps were used in the 6 Packs (2 six packs per channel for a total of 12 caps) that made their preamps an SE version that accounts for the great dynamics and bass. BAT sells them for $75 per cap. I bought them direct from Jensen in Denmark for $20 per cap. I new they were going bad because when I changed inputs or turned off the BAT, I would get a loud electronic pop through the speakers. I spoke with Victor Khomenko the designer of the BAT VK preamps and he stated all 12 of the out put caps needed to be changed. He was right.

The difference in sound is due to the fact that the old caps were not discharging well. So now I am getting their full voltage which is 1 Farad and 400V per cap.

Here is a picture of the inside of the BAT. You can see the yellow-orange six packs at the rear of the unit on each side. The front has 4 separate caps of the same values which I am going to replace.

Balanced Audio Technology VK-51SE line preamplifier | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/1103bat/index.html)

Nice.....BAT has a hell of a mark up!

frenchmon
05-09-2015, 05:24 AM
That's a great tool to have when you're looking for a new DAC. If you're looking for a particular feature like DSD64, you need to look no further than that list. I wish they made them for other gear.

Yeah its a nice list. Some guy over at computer audiophile put that together.

blackraven
05-14-2015, 05:54 PM
Well I just pulled the trigger on the Cary Audio 200ts DAC. I will post a review next weekend after it arrives.

Mr Peabody
05-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Nice, I'll be waiting for your report.

Jack in Wilmington
05-15-2015, 04:52 AM
Well I just pulled the trigger on the Cary Audio 200ts DAC. I will post a review next weekend after it arrives.

Excellent, I'll be waiting for a report in due time.

frenchmon
05-18-2015, 09:36 AM
Congrats! Just might be what you need seeing you thought the Marantz was to fast. And Raven...to be honest....after I heard the Marantz again in a shootout with the Bracasti as well as the Cary DAC...it was really out classed. In comparison it seemed to be a bit bass heavy, and bright. The Bricasti in my opinion really showed the Marantz was out classed, but hey, I know on some products the performance really out shines the price paid, but not the Marantz....it has never been a brand to give more than its worth, so to that point, the $3500 Marantz just couldn't hang with the Bricasti in that system. Most of us there thought the Cary was much better in SS mode rather then tube mode...but if the BAT/Pass gear is aggressive, then your Cary tube DAC may be just right....you may have found the right synergy that's needed for a system to click! I look forward to your review!

blackraven
05-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Congrats! Just might be what you need seeing you thought the Marantz was to fast. And Raven...to be honest....after I heard the Marantz again in a shootout with the Bracasti as well as the Cary DAC...it was really out classed. In comparison it seemed to be a bit bass heavy, and bright. The Bricasti in my opinion really showed the Marantz was out classed, but hey, I know on some products the performance really out shines the price paid, but not the Marantz....it has never been a brand to give more than its worth, so to that point, the $3500 Marantz just couldn't hang with the Bricasti in that system. Most of us there thought the Cary was much better in SS mode rather then tube mode...but if the BAT/Pass gear is aggressive, then your Cary tube DAC may be just right....you may have found the right synergy that's needed for a system to click! I look forward to your review!

Thanks Frenchmon. You are spot on with the Marantz. I pick up the Cary on Wed. I probably won't get to play with it until Thursday as I am working an afternoon-evening shift in the clinic.