gone Maestro [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : gone Maestro

Mr Peabody
04-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I finally replaced the 10x5 and went with the Maestro. As a side note the 10x5 has taken a significant price increase. I'll skip all that finally led me to deciding on the Maestro and say so far I think it ended up well. I shouldn't say much as I may have all of 4 hours on it so far but.... In my opinion the Maestro is not colored but tonally textured with natural timbre. Just what I was looking for. The Maestro provides plenty of detail, I'm hearing things on Lp's I haven't noticed before, as I should, this is the best cart I've owned so far. It's able to sort out complex music like Billy Cobham's, Power Play LP. The Maestro is quick but in more of an agile way, more like a boxer opposed to a fighter. The Maestro is impressively dynamic. And I really enjoy how tuneful it is, all the instruments have great rhythm. I get good depth and width of soundstage, if I had to criticize, at this point the sound seems a bit dry but if that never changes I would still be happy with the Maestro.

Jack in Wilmington
04-13-2015, 04:30 AM
Yeah, I finally replaced the 10x5 and went with the Maestro. As a side note the 10x5 has taken a significant price increase. I'll skip all that finally led me to deciding on the Maestro and say so far I think it ended up well. I shouldn't say much as I may have all of 4 hours on it so far but.... In my opinion the Maestro is not colored but tonally textured with natural timbre. Just what I was looking for. The Maestro provides plenty of detail, I'm hearing things on Lp's I haven't noticed before, as I should, this is the best cart I've owned so far. It's able to sort out complex music like Billy Cobham's, Power Play LP. The Maestro is quick but in more of an agile way, more like a boxer opposed to a fighter. The Maestro is impressively dynamic. And I really enjoy how tuneful it is, all the instruments have great rhythm. I get good depth and width of soundstage, if I had to criticize, at this point the sound seems a bit dry but if that never changes I would still be happy with the Maestro.

Congrats on the new cartridge. Is this a MM cart and did you need to make adjustments to the phono preamp?

blackraven
04-13-2015, 08:07 AM
Congrats on the cartridge. Give it about 30 hours of break in to sound its best.

frenchmon
04-13-2015, 10:29 AM
I was at Peabodys house Saturday night and had a great listen as well. Nice cart! But Peabody aint heard it at its best yet! Wait till it opens up! Will be a great addition!

hifitommy
01-04-2016, 07:33 AM
i believe the maestro is MM and have heard reports that it rivals MCs. i would love to hear one in a familiar system. i just returned to my FR1mk3 mc cart after a long stint with my grace f9e and atML150. it's good to be back to mc land.

Mr Peabody
01-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Correct, the Maestro is the top of the MM line for Clearaudio. It is quick and sounds good. I feel it has just enough shading to provide a natural sound.

sjtm
01-10-2016, 01:28 PM
I googled a review of this and saw the body is made of either ebony or satine. Do you know what the differences are between these two woods. BTW why is wood a preferred material for many high end cartridges?

hifitommy
01-10-2016, 02:13 PM
i am not sure what satine is but wood is used for cartridges because of its excellent characteristic of damping. at micro dimensions found in LP grooves, vibration reduction is key.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sattine+wood&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=satine+wood+pics

sjtm
01-24-2016, 01:14 PM

Do you have any opiniond on how the 10x5 would compare to my current cart - Grado Prestige Gold?

Mr Peabody
01-24-2016, 01:27 PM
I think the 10x5 would be quicker with a more neutral sound compared to the Grado, more definition.

JohnMichael
01-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Congrats on the new cartridge. I would like to hear the Maestro. I have read great things about that cartridge, Enjoy!

JohnMichael
01-27-2016, 02:55 PM
I had not checked the price on a Dynavector 10x5 but at NeedleDoctor $640. The Audio Technica ATf7 is $379 and $249 at LP Gear. I think I will stay with the AT F7 for now.

Mr Peabody
01-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Wow, the 10x5 has really increased in price. The Dynavectors were having a problem keeping up with demand on certain models I wonder if that's part of it.

JohnMichael
01-29-2016, 03:50 PM
I remember my Dynavector 10x2 sold for a little over $100 way back when.

sjtm
01-30-2016, 06:09 PM
I remember my Dynavector 10x2 sold for a little over $100 way back when.

Well the price is $650 now. However, I found one gently used from a reputable person on Audiogon for $300, so I decided to give one a try. Lookng forward to comparing to my current cart, a Grado Prestige Gold.

Mr Peabody
01-30-2016, 06:53 PM
Don't forget to come back and let us know your impressions of the 10x5.