"It Follows" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "It Follows"

Worf101
04-04-2015, 07:32 PM
"It Follows" - A solid B-minus a well made scary movie. It's well filmed and the young unknown actors do a very creditable job. The basic premise is that a phantom (I don't know what else to call it) is passed along to you if you have sex with someone it's tracking. If it touches you, you're dead, in a pretty gruesome manner. About midway through it dawned on me that the tale is a somewhat thinly veiled analogy of the AIDS epidemic. Death transmitted through sexual contact that takes its slow sweet time killing you. The film is full of older cars, televisions, appliances and alike from the early 80's, you never see a laptop or cell phone except in the opening sequence. So you're never sure of the time frame but everything points to the early 80's when the AIDS pandemic was just cranking up. Also, the film is shot in bombed out ruins of Detroit which in itself reeks of death and despair. I had plenty of goosebumps and screamed out loud a couple of times. It's a decent film but nowhere near the mind numbing terror of "The Ring".

Worf

dean_martin
04-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Thanks, Worf! Glad to see you're still around. I read a positive, though not "glowing", review of this one which piqued my interest. The review praised it for being scary, but one of the "problems" I inferred from the review is that the viewer is not given much, if any, "origin" info about "it" which made me think that I would just be frustrated watching it without being able to figure out the "why". I see you deduced some symbolism. That's cool. I wonder if younger folks, usually the target audience for this type of film, would make the same connection? (BTW, no age-based insult intended. I'm well past that target audience age.)