Look at me now Ma! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Look at me now Ma!

thekid
04-04-2015, 05:25 AM
For anyone here who still remembers me......

Feanor
04-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Good to here from you, Kid.

blackraven
04-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Welcome back! What gear are you running now?

thekid
04-05-2015, 04:53 AM
Welcome back! What gear are you running now?

I am not sure if any of the gear shown I didn't post about when I was last here but it has been awhile and on the off chance there are any newbies who may read this post......

The photo with the tall cabinet;
Adcom 545II amp
Adcom 555 pre-amp
Adcom 555 tuner
Adcom GCD 575 CD player
Adcom GFS 3 speaker selector
Technics SL-1300 turntable W/Pickering XV-15 cartridge
Theta Pro Generation II DAC
B&W DM 220 speakers
Optimus Pro LX 5 speakers

Photo of Shorter rack
Denon POA 2400 amp
Denon PRA 1200 pre-amp
Denon 2910 CD/SACD
Denon DMD Minidisc player
Denon DRM 740 Cassette player
Denon DP-F7 turntable W/Signet Model 101 cartridge
Denon 2845ci CD/SACD
Sherbourn LDS 2-75 amp
Von Schweikert VR-2 speakers
Rogers BBC Monitor speakers

The Adcom/B&W system is kinda of my everyday system as I listen to the local classical radio station on it when getting ready for work. The Denon/Von Schweikert system is my Rock N Roll system but can play anything if I need it to.

The Sherbourn has a line level feature that lets me me connect it directly to the Denon 2845. I have the Rogers hooked up to it. The Rogers are pretty rare speakers from England and these are an early version of what are essentially LS3/6 speakers. Variations which were later produced by Rogers and Spendor if anyone here is familiar with those British speaker makers. That system primarily is used for Acoustic and Jazz.

The silver face receiver is a Sansui 7000 receiver which was paired with NHT Super Zeroes but right now is just providing "vintage ambience" to the room.

All of the gear was acquired via local Thrift stores or Craigslist with the exception of the Denon 2910 which was bought from a fellow Audio enthusiast over on Audio Karma and the VR 2's which I traded for with a couple of pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers that I got off of Craigslist.

This room came together when I decided to downsize to just a couple of systems. I then moved everything upstairs and positioned everything as best I could. It's a small room but the main seating area is positioned right in the "sweet spot" for the Rogers and VR2's. I have plenty of storage for my vinyl/CD collections and the photos and drawings on the walls were done by my very talented daughter. The room gets sunlight all day long and that along with the furniture and furnishings make it a great place to relax and enjoy Music any time of day or night.

I do have a small NAD/EPI 100 system in a vintage console for the living room system. If anyone wants to see that I can post some pics.

I still am thankful for the many members who were here on AR when I started up with this hobby so many years ago. I thought if some of you were still around here you might appreciate the update.

blackraven
04-05-2015, 04:31 PM
That is a nice list of gear you have. Mine has gone through some changes over the last year with the addition of my Pass X250 amp and BAT Vk-51se preamp as well as a TT. I am contemplating buying a Marantz NA-11s1 Network player/DAC. After hearing how good DSD and hi-rez music can sound I have the upgrade bug.

thekid
04-05-2015, 04:56 PM
That is a nice list of gear you have. Mine has gone through some changes over the last year with the addition of my Pass X250 amp and BAT Vk-51se preamp as well as a TT. I am contemplating buying a Marantz NA-11s1 Network player/DAC. After hearing how good DSD and hi-rez music can sound I have the upgrade bug.

Its not as nice as your gear but given how it was put together it would be hard to do better though that does not keep me from still looking. That Marantz would make a great upgrade. IMO Hi-Rez of a good recording can be pretty good on the right gear. A bad recording sounds bad no matter the format or the gear. The downside to upgrading is that better gear can be more revealing and highlight some recording flaws which leads to upgrading your music as well :D

Mr Peabody
04-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Hey Kid! good to see you. As much stuff as you get your hands on around there I'd never move :)

I remember you getting those Heresys, I had some of the H3's around that time.

I wish I could see your Denon 2910, I think I had one of those, the model sounds familiar. Is it a heavy unit more like 4 inches tall?

topspeed
04-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Hey, Kid, good to see an old face around here. I love the vintage '80's vibe you've got going with the Adcom/Theta/B&W system. Reminds me of the stuff that was hot when I was I was growing up and new to the hobby. I've always been a Denon proponent (even though the only pieces I have left are a 2910 and AVR3803) and have always found the house sound to be on the warmer, ballsier side of neutral. I would think that would work well adding some body to the Roger's as well as making the VR2's simply rock the house. Very nice rigs!

Mr Peabody
04-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Hey, it's almost like alumni in here :)

thekid
04-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the responses Mr. P and Topspeed. Nice to see some familiar faces here. I am fond of the Denon and Adcom though I know there are better brands out there. It is a journey and I appreciate the help and encouragement I received here over the years.

TheHills44060
04-07-2015, 05:03 AM
Hi kid! Glad to see your Optimus Pro LX 5 speakers. My dad recently just had all 4 of his woofer surrounds go bad. Was the oddest thing, i noticed one sounded strange and saw the foam surround was going bad so i swapped it out with another. 5 minutes later the same thing so I swapped that one with another and so on until he was out of LX5's haha. I ended up running home and grabbing some old Infinities for him.

thekid
04-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Hi kid! Glad to see your Optimus Pro LX 5 speakers. My dad recently just had all 4 of his woofer surrounds go bad. Was the oddest thing, i noticed one sounded strange and saw the foam surround was going bad so i swapped it out with another. 5 minutes later the same thing so I swapped that one with another and so on until he was out of LX5's haha. I ended up running home and grabbing some old Infinities for him.

Nice to hear from you!
The LX5's don't get much airplay but they are not a bad sounding bookshelf speaker. Probably the only Radio Shack speaker reviewed by Stereophile magazine.

thekid
02-14-2016, 05:29 PM
Well its been almost a year which is a lifetime the way I switch gear around so I thought I'd share some pics of the current set-up.

I have sold off a lot of the gear shown in the earlier pics and have simplified things a bit. Gone are all the separates and the VR2's now do duty in the bedroom leaving only the Hafler's and Rogers' speakers for listening.

The new additions are a Yamaha S2700 for SACD playback a Technics SL-1700 turntable and the new NAD 3020 Hybrid Amplifier. Pretty basic set-up that covers most formats including minidisc. :smile5: