Finally, my Stereo dream is complete [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Finally, my Stereo dream is complete

Gimes
04-01-2015, 05:40 PM
982198209822I'm finally all settled here in South Carolina after almost a year of living in a hotel, and the best part is that I was able to set up my (partially) new stereo/HT. The Mac gear is new, along with the furniture. I had the entertainment center custom made to fit the ventilation requirements of the preamp. I'm still considering upgrading the speakers, but I already have some Klipsch Heresy IIIs that I can insert now and again, so we're on hold there.

Stereo:
McIntosh MC275 Power Amp
McIntosh C2500 Pre
Music Hall MMF 2.1 Turntable

Home Theater:
Marantz NR1501 Receiver
Oppo BDP-105
Panasonic VT60 55" Plasma

Klipsch RF-5s
SVS 25-31PC Plus Sub

Feanor
04-02-2015, 04:15 AM
Congratulations: it's a system that ought to sound great and give you much pleasure. Your Mac MC275 would be a great match with the Klipsch speakers, I'd guess.

Thanks for posting and including the great photos.

TheHills44060
04-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Loving the McIntosh gear Gimes. I bet it sounds even sweeter after being holed up in a hotel room for so long. If I were you though I'd swap the RF's for the Heresy's pronto ;-)

Mr Peabody
04-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Looking good. The Mac gear is nice. If you don't mind me saying so I'd upgrade the speakers and your source. I'm sure the 2.1 is a capable table but not on the same level as your Mac, in order to get your money's worth from it. If I'm not mistaken Clearaudio either helped design or does build the Mac table. You can get a Clearaudio Concept with cart for around $1500.00. The table is very well reviewed. Or, if you like the Music Hall really well I believe a 7.1 is same money.

blackraven
04-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Beautiful gear, enjoy!

Gimes
04-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Yeah, Mr. P, I know what you're saying about the speakers and source. I'm still taking a look. For right now, the MH will do, but that will be the next thing I upgrade.

I already swap out the RFs for the Heresy quite a bit. Trying to decide which ones to keep in the system. To be honest, I like em both. I'm still considering several different upgrade choices, so we'll see what happens. The system sounds great as is, though.

Gimes
04-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Here's the system with the Heresy IIIs.

Feanor
04-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Ah! Those magical McIntosh blue meters: gotta love 'em.

Gimes
04-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Clearaudio, Mr. P. I was already looking to upgrade the MMF 2.1, so we'll see how this goes.

Mr Peabody
04-05-2015, 07:38 PM
No problem. Does this mean you are ordering one or just looking into it? If you are getting one the package with moving coil cart is worth the money, or, at least discuss upgrading the MM cart that comes with it maybe to a Virtuoso.

frenchmon
04-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Very nice system! I really love that audio cabinet!

Gimes
04-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Mr. P, I went ahead and scooped up the Clearaudio. I knew the turntable was the next step, and your recommendation came at the right time. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Thanks!

Mr Peabody
04-09-2015, 04:39 AM
That's great, I think you'll really enjoy it. What cart did you get with it? When you hear it give your ears some time to adjust, the table is super quiet, pay attention to the detail you are hearing. This will make more sense when you hear for the first time, the quiet background is nearly digital like yet the sound is analog. Let me know how you like it.

Jack in Wilmington
04-09-2015, 06:17 AM
That's great, I think you'll really enjoy it. What cart did you get with it? When you hear it give your ears some time to adjust, the table is super quiet, pay attention to the detail you are hearing. This will make more sense when you hear for the first time, the quiet background is nearly digital like yet the sound is analog. Let me know how you like it.

It's nice to see he took your recommendation to heart and moved on it quickly. I had a 2.1 previously and the Clearaudio is a nice step up the analog ladder. He should be quite impressed.

harley .guy07
04-09-2015, 08:10 PM
I have never heard the Classic Klipsch with the opportunity to hear the newer series stuff with the same system in place. What is the difference that you hear between them, I would guess the heresy's give you more of the old school live klipsch sound and the newer stuff would be more refined but that is a guess.

Gimes
04-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Good question. I've never been good at putting into words what I hear from the gear. The Heresy's are definitely different from the RFs. They have a more open sound to them, but as I adjust the bass on the preamp you can tell that they pick up the low end very well. So far, I'm astonished at the Heresy's and the detail they provide both from the analog side and from the digital HT stuff. I used to switch back and forth to the RFs but I haven't for several days now. At this point, i'm really just trying to decide what to do with the RFs. I've had them for a long time and don't want to get rid of them, so I think I'll put them away and use them again when I have the need.

Mr. P, the Clearaudio came today, I got the MM cart. To say that I'm impressed is an understatement!! So much detail! I recently bought a new Dire Straits LP and when the beginning of So Far Away hit, my jaw dropped. The difference between the MMF 2.1 and the Concept wasn't even close. I even used the Clearaudio accessories to level the MMF and correct its stylus, and it still didn't matter. I'm certainly not surprised given the difference between the two, but I didn't realize it would be so discernible! Thank you again for the recommendation. I want to play every album I have right away.

harley .guy07
04-10-2015, 06:45 PM
It does amaze me that some people will buy the Klipsch Heritage series and never seem to have the want or need to upgrade from them. I have heard plenty of Klipsch over the years and some I have loved and others not so much but there are plenty of satisfied owners out there.

frenchmon
04-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Congrats on the new table. I've heard the Concept and its a fine table.