georgio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : georgio

georgio
03-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Hello everyone, my first post. I have three questions. 1st, I have a denon poa 2400a amp. during a thunder storm, something happened and it never worked again. I checked fuses they were ok. Is it worth repairing ? 2nd I have klipsch classic II speakers, and I think I need new diaphrams in tweeter and maybe midrange horns. do I have to go to klipsch or can I find them cheaper some where else? 3rd Is it better for me to use a BBE sonic maximizer or a soundcraftsman equizer

JoeE SP9
03-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Hello everyone, my first post. I have three questions. 1st, I have a denon poa 2400a amp. during a thunder storm, something happened and it never worked again. I checked fuses they were ok. Is it worth repairing ? 2nd I have klipsch classic II speakers, and I think I need new diaphrams in tweeter and maybe midrange horns. do I have to go to klipsch or can I find them cheaper some where else? 3rd Is it better for me to use a BBE sonic maximizer or a soundcraftsman equizer

1. I've heard that the output transistors on this amp are failing. figure on >$150 to get it repaired. Only you can determine if it's worth it.

2 The model number you've provided is not specific enough. Klipsch R-2502-W II Architectural - speaker - 60 Watt are the only returns on a search for Klipsch Classic II. They are in wall speakers and do not have horns or midranges.

3. IMO, BBE's screw up the sound. Equalizers make it easy to screw up the sound unless used and adjusted using a calibrated microphone and test tones.

Mr Peabody
03-07-2015, 09:10 PM
An amp hit by lightning, I'd personally move on, it seems anything hit by lightning Is never quite the same after, even with repair.

I'm not familiar with your Klipsch model either. If they are worth fixing though check out Bob Crites who is well known amongst the Klipsch community for selling replacement parts for Klipsch speakers that are better than the original part. Many owners will replace the stock drivers with nothing wrong with them to upgrade to Crites replacements.

I'm a snob as well, forget equalizers, they'll typically introduce more noise and distortion into the signal. If your heart is just set on an EQ I'd suggest looking at Audio Control which do analyzing and Eq, then you get the light show. Seriously, though their stuff is pretty good. I can't remember the brand but there is a component on the market that goes between an amp and preamp that can equalize your system to the room much like home theater receivers do. It has the microphone and whole bit.

You might want to get yourself a nice little tube amp to drive your Klipsch.

georgio
03-08-2015, 04:59 AM
I am sorry, the klipsch speakers are chorus II

JoeE SP9
03-08-2015, 05:09 AM
For automatic system equalization the DSpeaker Anti-Mode comes in several models. The DEQX line also has several models. The DBX Driverack is popular with some.

You can do it manually with a DSP or a digital parametric equalizer. For that I recommend the Parts Express EMM-6 (calibrated microphone) and a free copy of REW (Room Acoustic Wizard).

They stopped making the Chorus II in 1996. The best place for advice concerning them is audio karma.

BTW: I use a Behringer DSP1124P an EMM-6 and REW to equalize the feed only to my subs from 85Hz down.

Mr Peabody
03-08-2015, 10:53 AM
The Chorus II are worth fixing IMO, if you are a Klipsch fan. Bob Crites is the best place to get replacement parts. Chorus II is still one of the sought after vintage models. Also, Klipsch is so efficient the woofers barely move so typically last for years with no abuse, decades.