APPLE TV and FLAC streaming [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : APPLE TV and FLAC streaming

pajr2179
03-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Hello All,

I hope someone can clarify something for me. I have Apple TV. I downloaded AirFoil because I read that you can stream FLAC files using this software to Apple TV. I have my Apple TV connected to my Denon AVR4802R using an optical digital cable. I can access my complete Itunes Library through Apple TV and play through my home theater. I want to download Led Zeppelin IV FLAC album at 96KHZ/24 Bit (The receiver supports this). Will it playback at the quality? I am interested to test the sound difference between the original cd and the higher reolution FLAC file. I do not want to waste $40 on the album download and be dissapointed if it does not work right. Thanks for your help!

-Pete

Feanor
03-06-2015, 08:55 AM
Hello All,

I hope someone can clarify something for me. I have Apple TV. I downloaded AirFoil because I read that you can stream FLAC files using this software to Apple TV. I have my Apple TV connected to my Denon AVR4802R using an optical digital cable. I can access my complete Itunes Library through Apple TV and play through my home theater. I want to download Led Zeppelin IV FLAC album at 96KHZ/24 Bit (The receiver supports this). Will it playback at the quality? I am interested to test the sound difference between the original cd and the higher resolution FLAC file. I do not want to waste $40 on the album download and be dissapointed if it does not work right. Thanks for your help!

-Pete

Hi, Pete,

Possibly there are iTunes plugins that will play FLAC files, perhaps in conjunction with AirFoil.

But if you are concerned to added your new FLAC file acquisitions to you iTunes library, you call use one a number for audio format conversion files to convert FLAC to ALAC (Apple Lossless), including 24bit/96kHz. For example, I have used dBpoweramp, (see HERE (https://www.dbpoweramp.com/)), to convert both directions between FLAC and ALAC -- conversion is very fast and there is NO loss of quality.

I'm not entirely sure about 25/96 ALAC going to Apple TV but here's a discussion on the subject ... 24/96 Apple Lossless + AirPlay | Steve Hoffman Music Forums (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/24-96-apple-lossless-airplay.362155/)

Inherently 24/96 ought to sound better than standard CD 16/44.1 but whether you actually hear a difference depends on a lot of factors, including the mastering of the recording and your ears.

Mr Peabody
03-06-2015, 08:45 PM
I can't help you with your question but I was wondering if you were going to compare the new 2014 re-mastered CD to the 24/96 same mix? That should be an interesting comparison. However, if you are like me and already have LZ discs and were going to use them for comparison it would not be a good test for just comparing the difference in resolution. I bought one of the new 2014 CD's of LZ2 to compare to my old CD, the re-master is much better in my opinion CD to CD. The new 2014 version has more detail, space between the players, better bass and overall sound. I plan to actually replace a couple more of my LZ catalog. So if you were going to compare 24/96 the difference would even be more noticeable where if you were comparing 2014 cd to 2014 download it would be more of a pure test of formats and difference in resolution.