need a 'thin client' for living room... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : need a 'thin client' for living room...

jsunandmax
03-05-2015, 02:35 AM
Hello gang, I just picked up a Synology NAS for streaming audio around the home.

Now it's time to replace my ancient Slimbox in the living room with something else. Here are my requirements:

- all flac
- no need for DAC, since i'll use optical out to the Sunfire Amp
- quality/solid build
- (nice to have) visual for album cover. This is not critial since i'll be using DS Audio on tablet for most music browsing/selection.
- internet radio

My question for the group is:

1) what hardware do you recommend? I'm looking at the Pioneer N-50, or the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic V2,
but these seem overkill w/ their fancy DACs.

2) has anyone setup something besides a HTPC to stream TIDAL, (the uncompressed Spotify)?

Everything i'm finding in the 'network player' category includes a DAC, and most include amplifier! I dont want either of these things (and dont want to pay for them). Any help appreciated thanks in advance!

best,
jsunandamx

Hyfi
03-05-2015, 04:54 AM
Sorry I can't suggest anything, but why are you so against a DAC?
Also, what is the rest of your gear besides an amp?

I stream most things thru my OPPO players with Samsung AllShare but also play FLAC files from Laptop thru a USB DAC and into my Pre Amp

Feanor
03-05-2015, 05:41 AM
A couple of devices that caught my attention lately are Windows-based media servers from PiPo and Asus -- although they don't seem to fill you very specific requirements.

The PiPo X7 is remarkably cheap, (under US$120), and small yet runs Windows 8.1 ... PIPO X7 Windows 8.1 Smart Mini PC TV Box Media Player 2G RAM 32G ROM (http://www.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO-X7-Windows-8-1-Smart-Mini-PC-TV-Box-Media-Player-2G-RAM-32G-ROM-Intel-3736F-1-8GHz-Quad-Core---Silver-339668.html)

Still small but more powerful are the Asus Eee Box PCs that come as low as about US$250 ... https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Commercial_Desktops/EB1036/