Ultra HD Blu-ray Specification [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ultra HD Blu-ray Specification

Smokey
03-04-2015, 07:09 PM
The specs for Ultra HD Blu-ray have been revealed; here's what to expect from the next generation of optical discs and players.

First, the official name of the new disc format is Ultra HD Blu-ray and licensing is expected to begin mid-year, which means the spec will be completely finalized by then.

Ultra HD Blu-ray will offer data transfer speeds of up to 108mbps for 66GB dual-layer discs, up to 128mbps for 100GB triple-layer discs. The discs will also be capable of playing 4K (3840 x 2160) video at 60 frames per second.

Ultra HD Blu-ray players must be able to read both of the new formats as well as HD Blu-ray discs. DVD support is still not known as official specifications for Ultra HD Blu-ray are expected to be formerly announced in mid-2015.

Ultra HD Blu-ray not due to hit the market until the end of 2015.

Feanor
03-05-2015, 05:25 AM
I guess this is of interest to some. Personally I have fewer than 10 Blu-ray discs.

Smokey
03-05-2015, 09:51 PM
I guess this is of interest to some. Personally I have fewer than 10 Blu-ray discs. As with Bluray, most studio will not put in enough money and time to remaster their films/shows to bluray potential. And I am guessing the same think can be said with new UHD blurays :)

bfalls
03-07-2015, 05:25 AM
Given the option I prefer to buy a Blu-ray over DVD. The video is usually much better and it provides the option of higher resolution sound formats. At one time studios were offering DVD to Blu-Ray upgrades for $5/ disc. I took advantage of some I felt benefited from the format. Not sure about UHD. I doubt I would take the plunge until after the new HDMI and HDCP protocols are fully implemented to take advantage of the full color space.

Smokey
03-09-2015, 07:04 PM
I doubt I would take the plunge until after the new HDMI and HDCP protocols are fully implemented to take advantage of the full color space. Which also mean you have to buy a new TV :)