Cerwin Vega D-9 speakers ohms?- Correct ohm settings on my Pioneer spec 2 amp 4 or 8? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cerwin Vega D-9 speakers ohms?- Correct ohm settings on my Pioneer spec 2 amp 4 or 8?

Sherwin
03-03-2015, 08:53 AM
I have a set of Cerwin Vega D9 speakers (1990) that I want to hook up to my Pioneer spec system, Spec2 Amp. The amp has settings for either 4ohm or 8ohm on rear of amp. I have done research on the PC and see a-lot of forums state they are powered by 4ohms but other CV charts show them as 8ohm speakers? I am a tad confused and do not want to harm the speakers or my amp by doing any false trial and errors. Anyone have any more knowledge on this please?:confused5:

Hyfi
03-03-2015, 09:37 AM
MODEL D-9

DESCRIPTION: 15” 3-WAY LOUDSPEAKER

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 29 Hz –20 kHz
POWER HANDLING: 5/350 Watts RMS Min/Max
SENSITIVITY: 101 dB (1 Watt @ 1 Meter)
IMPEDANCE: 4 Ohms
LF DRIVER: 15” Die-cast Frame / 2” Voice-Coil (152WR)
MF DRIVER (upper): 6” Cone (M-6 or CM-6)
MF DRIVER (lower): 6” Cone (M6-H or CMR-H)
HF DRIVER: 1” Voice-Coil Horn Tweeter (CS-5)
PROTECTION: Circuit Breaker (Tweeter)/Fuse (Overall)
LEVEL CONTROLS: Tweeter & Midrange
CROSSOVER POINTS: 500/3500 Hz.
DIMENSIONS: 35” X 18” X 17.75” ( H X W X D )

Question #2: My receiver is 8 ohms but your speakers are rated at 4 ohms. Is there a problem?
Answer: The 4-ohm impedance rating on some of our speakers refers to nominal impedance meaning literally “in name only”. Since a speaker’s actual AC impedance varies depending on the frequency of the input signal, its nominal impedance refers to the impedance or resistance at only one point along the frequency curve. Cerwin-Vega’s nominal impedance rating refers only to the lowest point of the impedance curve which immediately follows its resonant peak. In order to establish this rating, Cerwin-Vega does a sine wave sweep encompassing the entire frequency band and rates the impedance as described above.

When tested, an amplifier is usually driven with a 1 kHz sine wave into an 8-ohm load for 6 to 8 hours without overheating or exceeding its rated distortion levels. This is a very strenuous test and in the real world of normal listening, is the equivalent to playing music at full volume for 6 to 8 hours.

A recent magazine article stated, “. . . if your receiver handled 8 ohms during the UL test, it should handle lower impedance loads under less strenuous conditions at home.” The article went on to say, “. . . a name brand, component grade [stereo amplifier/receiver] will comfortably handle a pair of 4 ohm speakers.”

Sherwin
03-03-2015, 10:05 AM
I seen this thread also but attached is a sheet that says its an 8 ohm speaker but others state it is a 4ohm (see attached). i need to know from someone that truly knows so that i do not do any damage based from magazine articles and hypothetical analysis. I prefer to run on 4ohms if i can...

Hyfi
03-03-2015, 10:08 AM
I would suggest you ask over at AudioKarma site, where the members are Vintage nuts for the most part.

Sherwin
03-03-2015, 10:11 AM
I will try that also. Thank you so very much for all replies :-)

Hyfi
03-03-2015, 10:13 AM
There is actually a current thread over there about a CL pair up for sale for $50

Cerwin Vega D9 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=644888)

Sherwin
03-03-2015, 10:28 AM
yes, i seen. it still does not answer my main concern. I will keep searching. again, thank you so very much for all the replies :-)

Hyfi
03-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Join and ask there if not already a member, those guys know their old gear like nowhere else.

Mr Peabody
03-03-2015, 06:00 PM
If your amp is set to 4 ohms it will be fine, even if the CV's are 8 ohms. 4 ohms means the amp will produce a bit more current which I'd prefer anyway. This would be safer than setting the amp to 8 ohms and finding the speakers are 4 ohms. A lower impedance than the amp can handle is not good, hopefully the amp has protection and n foul, but driving a higher impedance speaker is no issue.

Feanor
03-04-2015, 04:56 AM
If your amp is set to 4 ohms it will be fine, even if the CV's are 8 ohms. 4 ohms means the amp will produce a bit more current which I'd prefer anyway. This would be safer than setting the amp to 8 ohms and finding the speakers are 4 ohms. A lower impedance than the amp can handle is not good, hopefully the amp has protection and n foul, but driving a higher impedance speaker is no issue.

This is the best advice if the impedance ratung is unclear. I agree that attaching to the 4 ohm taps is safer; it might trade a bit of power output in favor of current capacity but that won't be a problem with Cerwin speakers.

Sherwin
03-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Thank you so very much everyone, this does help.

Ejacks68
03-20-2021, 11:19 AM
I would say myself that the 4 ohm switch setting will the correct setting for your receiver if it gets hot turn it off,a good practice would be to keep a muffin fan on it.