Recommendations on a specific multi-zone setup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a specific multi-zone setup

tking00
03-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi everyone-

I'm new here, but have learned a lot from reading these forums. I really appreciate the sharing of knowledge in these threads, and I am hoping that someone can give me some more direction.

During a renovation of my house, I decided to integrate 4 ceiling speakers in one area (8" recessed Polk RC-80i) and two outdoor speakers (Klipsch KHO-7). These are Zones 2 and 3, respectively. I may want to add two more speakers to Zone 3.

I have a 9.2 receiver that has the capability of 3 zones (Yamaha RX-A2040). This receiver, to my knowledge, can only supply 2 powered channels to each zone.

I would like to do a 7.1 Dolby Atmos setup for the movie room, but I think with my other zones, I am limited to a 5.1 setup.

QUESTIONS:

1. What is the best way to wire the 4 ceiling speakers in Zone 2 to 2 channel outputs, while keeping volume for this zone controlled by the receiver? These speakers are 8 ohm speakers, and the receiver is an 8 ohm receiver. I understand from reading these forums that wiring in series distorts, and understand that my receiver alone isn't strong enough for wiring them in parallel.

2. (A) What 5.1 speakers would you recommend for music and for television that is a solid build, good value and under $1000? (B) If I were to forego buying a cheap setup on speakers, and instead buy two floorstanding speakers, which ones should I consider?

tking00
03-02-2015, 11:51 AM
ABT has informed me that I should use this product to get more speakers on one channel... Sonance Speaker Switch Selector Distribution Box - 91368 (http://www.abt.com/product/4099/Sonance-91368.html)

I don't understand how this can lower resistance if my amp is only capable of handling 8 ohms.... Am I under a false understanding of what my amp can handle?

blackraven
03-02-2015, 09:52 PM
I would consider doing a 3.1 set up and add the rear channels later when you have the cash instead of going with cheaper 5.1 speakers. You will get more bang for the buck with bookshelf speakers over floor standers.

NHT makes the Classic 2 and Classic 3 speakers.

B&W 685's

Paradigm Mini Monitors or Studio 20's

Consider some Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's and it's center channel and maybe a pair of the 10.1's for the rear or a nice sub.

You would need a fairly robust AVR for the Wharfedales though.

http://www.musicdirect.com/c-608-speakers.aspx?sortfield=Popularity&sortdirection=DESC&perpage=24&BrandFilterID=485&

vania
03-12-2015, 04:18 AM
ABT has informed me that I should use this product to get more speakers on one channel... Sonance Speaker Switch Selector Distribution Box - 91368 (http://www.abt.com/product/4099/Sonance-91368.html)

I don't understand how this can lower resistance if my amp is only capable of handling 8 ohms.... Am I under a false understanding of what my amp can handle?
good choice with Sonance Speaker Switch Selector Distribution Box - 91368