About 'Cable Dressing' [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : About 'Cable Dressing'

tony340
02-19-2015, 05:21 PM
Hello everyone
my main system is placed in such a way where the amp and player are next to the tv and all the wires at the back are in a bit of a scramble! I've tried to keep all the hifi related ones away from the tv cable and power cord however there's still a bit of clutter with the wires. Should I shield the non-hifi related cable with aluminum foil or something? I've heard that came dressing is important but don't know much. Also the amp and CD player powe codds, speaker Cables and interconnects, should they be placed in such a way where they don't touch each other? I've always had the best advice from the guys here at AR, and trust the same this time. Cheers

Mr Peabody
02-19-2015, 07:34 PM
I try to use twist ties and bind excess cable into a loop or bundle to keep things more orderly and separated. I've heard it's good to keep cables apart, especially power and those carrying the music signal. However, I've found that more difficult than practical. I have really good cables that are already shielded and haven't noticed any issues. There are products to keep your cables off the floor and other tweaks but I personally haven't tried any. I wouldn't wrap foil or anything else around the cable in fear of causing an issue.

tony340
02-20-2015, 01:49 AM
Thanks Mr. P appreciate it as always. Yeah ur correct, very hard to keep them off the floor and also the separation. Will try something. I've got kimber kable for the music and wireworld for the power.

Mr Peabody
02-20-2015, 04:09 AM
You have good cables so I'd think you shouldn't have a problem. If you experiment and find anything that makes a difference let us know.

TheHills44060
02-20-2015, 08:49 AM
I agree with Pea. I've tried to keep analog, digital & power cables separated but it often times is impractical and frankly a pain in the a$$. Unless I notice any grain, interference or buzzing I generally don't get too overly concerned.

tony340
02-21-2015, 02:55 AM
I sure will Mr. P thanks. Yeah Hills, it indeed is a pain in the .... but, however I'm just trying to keep things as best possible for the sound, which I doubt I'll hear a difference in Which case is doing all this really worthwhile? I'm guessing there's no harm in it. Will keep u guys posted on any changes. Cheers guys