New Pioneer TT vs SL1200MK2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Pioneer TT vs SL1200MK2

JoeE SP9
02-17-2015, 05:28 AM
Anyone who has an interest in a Technics SL1200 Series TT but can't find one in decent condition for reasonable money should take a look at Stereophile's March issue. Herb Reichart reviews the Pioneer PLX1000 TT ($699). He compares it directly to a "like-new" SL1200MK2 and a couple of others. To say it's a rave review is an understatement.

faarigia
02-18-2015, 08:52 PM
I was reading the write up on Music Direct and it's funny how they mention the carbon tone arm and attached to it is "a true high end" cartridge. How can they equate a $100 cartridge and high end in the same sentence. Be truthful and call it a nice "entry level" cartridge.

miekal33
03-05-2015, 04:48 AM
in decent condition for reasonable money should take a look at Stereophile's March issue. Herb Reichart reviews the Pioneer PLX1000 TT ($699). He compares it directly to a "like-new" SL1200MK2 and a couple of others. To

Jack in Wilmington
03-05-2015, 06:05 AM
I was reading the write up on Music Direct and it's funny how they mention the carbon tone arm and attached to it is "a true high end" cartridge. How can they equate a $100 cartridge and high end in the same sentence. Be truthful and call it a nice "entry level" cartridge.

You're right. They throw around that "high end" label too easily these days. Call it what it is, "Entry Level". Pretty soon we'll be saying "Home Depot" and High End in the same breath.

Feanor
03-05-2015, 10:03 AM
If some distant relative died and lift me his/her 5000 LP collection, I look seriously at the Pioneer PLX1000. Right now my old, lower-end Technics resides in the basement gathering dust. I have only 200 LP collection left over from the day: oldly it is still displayed around my stereo equipment, but I haven't played any of it in 4-5 years.

Buying LPs isn't moot in my case because I listen to classical music almost exclusively, and classical music is almost exclusively available only on silver disc. Beyond that, in my system digital sources sound better than vinyl ever did, even back in the day I had a half-decent phono setup.