newbie question about dual monoblock vs bridged 4 channel [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : newbie question about dual monoblock vs bridged 4 channel

LPgeek
02-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Those two are not the same, correct? Is there much of an advantage of bridged 4 channel bi-wired vs regular 2 channel bi-wired?

I have an Aragon 8002 dual monoblock bi-wired and noticed a huge improvement in the sound over my old acurus 2 channel. Much clearer and cleaner. I'm aware some of it is simply upgrade in quality, but my understanding is the dual monoblocks are a large reason the sound became so clean.

I convinced my wife to put a stereo in the living room (!!!) and am trying to decide what to do amplifier-wise. I always buy used and 2ch options are greater/cheaper, but I'm wondering if it's worth holding out for 4ch. And, if so, monoblock vs bridged 4ch.

Sorry if this has been previously discussed. I couldn't find anything about it in a search.

Thanks for your help.

Mr Peabody
02-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Dual/Mono is supposed the be like two separate amps in one chasis. I'm not that familiar with bridged 4-channel, I'm assuming there are still only connections for one set of speakers. I'm not sure why anyone would need four connections unless biamping or some type of HT. I wouldn't get hung up on the design and pay more attention to what the amp can actually do, you'll find good and bad in any design.

harley .guy07
02-12-2015, 04:50 PM
I think a big part of the sound difference is that Acurus is made by the same people as Aragon and they market Acurus as a more affordable option than the Aragon amps. I have heard both as I almost picked up both brands when I worked in high end in the 90's and they are quite far a part as far as sound quality goes. The designs that they sell today are basically improved versions of the same I heard in the 90's if I remember correctly so that would be more of the factor than whether its a monoblock or duel mono in one case or a 4 channel. I look more at the performance of the amp than the type of amp. I have heard stereo amps I love and monoblocks I didn't. Me and Mr. Peabody both agree on this point.

LPgeek
02-13-2015, 06:15 AM
....with bridged 4-channel, I'm assuming there are still only connections for one set of speakers. I'm not sure why anyone would need four connections unless biamping or some type of HT....

I understand yall's point that its more the performance of the amp than the type, but all other things being equal (4ch and 2ch versions of the same amp, ex bryston 4b and 8b), wouldn't biamped sound better?

Mr Peabody
02-13-2015, 12:33 PM
It would depend on why and how you are biamping but my guess is any difference would be slight. I also suspect a 2-channel amp for 2-channel use would be more stable into speakers that may swing to a lower impedance than average.

Feanor
02-13-2015, 01:30 PM
I understand yall's point that its more the performance of the amp than the type, but all other things being equal (4ch and 2ch versions of the same amp, ex bryston 4b and 8b), wouldn't biamped sound better?

Regarding bi-amping, the "all other things being equal" is the practical issue. If you had a four channel amp that was -- in effect -- two, 2 channel amps, it might very well sound better; it would certainly double the power available. But if you're talking about a 4 ch. amp whose combined output was the same as a 2 ch. amp it would not necessarily sound better.

But note that the above pertains to passive bi-amping, i.e. two amps, two speaker cables, but each feeding respectively the speaker's internal, passive high- and low-pass crossovers. An option much more likely to produce superior results is an active crossover ahead of the two separate amps that then feed the speaker drivers directly, bypassing the speaker's passive crossovers.

zunixaani
03-01-2015, 09:29 PM
The Pass amp changed my system for the better and the BAT preamp took it even further.

The A21 is still a very good amp but I am surprised that Parasound has not upgraded it. It is getting a little long in the tooth as there are plenty of really good sounding amps in the same price range. All the amp needs is a little less grain, a little more warmth and a blacker background to take it to the next level.

blackraven
03-02-2015, 09:53 PM
The Pass amp changed my system for the better and the BAT preamp took it even further.

The A21 is still a very good amp but I am surprised that Parasound has not upgraded it. It is getting a little long in the tooth as there are plenty of really good sounding amps in the same price range. All the amp needs is a little less grain, a little more warmth and a blacker background to take it to the next level.

Troll!