RIP John Grado [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP John Grado

Mr Peabody
02-07-2015, 04:12 PM
I don't have details but saw a Stereophile update saying he had passed. Family owned and ran, Grado Labs. There were 3 generations of Grado family in the business, if I'm not mistaken John was 2nd gen.

Jack in Wilmington
02-08-2015, 06:00 AM
Certainly a pioneer that left a great legacy. It would be hard to find someone in the audiophile community that hasn't owned or at least heard one of his products.

JohnMichael
02-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Sadly it was Joe Grado who passed 2/06/15.

Joe Grado (1925–2015) | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/joe-grado-1925%C2%961915)

His nephew John Grado will continue to run the company.

Mr Peabody
02-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks JM for the correction. You've been laying low I was about to ask if anyone had heard from you.

I have been reading a lot of reviews lately trying to decide on a cart, I noticed a reviewer, I think with Home Theater Review uses a s300i, if memory serves he runs the newer Revel F206 with his.

JohnMichael
02-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks JM for the correction. You've been laying low I was about to ask if anyone had heard from you.

I have been reading a lot of reviews lately trying to decide on a cart, I noticed a reviewer, I think with Home Theater Review uses a s300i, if memory serves he runs the newer Revel F206 with his.

I have been working a strange job which is a combination of both second and third shifts. I found it difficult after 25 years in healthcare to get hired for a non healthcare job. So I am 9 months into a position that is giving me new work experiences and is more business based.

Have not bought anything new in the way of audio. I did pull out the Monitor Audio RS6's to try in a different configuration. I read another rave review on the brand in Stereophile and keep thinking I am missing something. Now I have them closer together with no toe-in but I am working with the feet to tilt them so the tweeters are projecting to my ear height. They have the best dynamics and bass of all my speakers so I guess I hope I can enjoy them long term this way.

JohnMichael
02-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Oh and as far as the S-300i goes it continues to please. I owned a Cambridge Audio 640A that I never thought sounded very good. Too much electronic artifacts. Then tried the Onkyo A-9555 which was better but still no long term enjoyment. I am glad to have the S-300i, Sony XA5400ES and Rega ttable as long term enjoyable components as I wait for a long term speaker.