Pass vs Parasound [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pass vs Parasound

blackraven
01-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Well, I finally got around to putting my Parasound A21 in my main system with my BAT Vk-51se preamp to compare it to my Pass X250 amp. I previously has the A21 with a Van Alstine Ultra Plus preamp.

There is no contest, the Pass amp is a much better sounding amp in most area's. The A21 did some things better such as treble which was a little more forward and the attack on guitar and piano was crisper. The A21 sounded faster as well. The Pass on the other hand has a much blacker background, is more dynamic, has a better midrange, is grain free and seems like it delivers a river of current when needed. It also has a smoother, more liquid, warmer sound with more depth. The A21 never runs out of steam as well, has great bass, tight, deep and fast but the Pass's is more explosive, more musical, while the A21's seems more dry if you will.

The A21 is a good amp but it is clearly out classed by the Pass.

Feanor
01-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Thanks, Blackraven. That clears up any doubt I might have had as to which of these two would be better -- and I didn't have much. We may consider of course that the X250 was several time the price of the A21, given list prices.

Mr Peabody
02-01-2015, 02:33 PM
I think you described the Pass well. It does great crescendos but when comparing to something like Krell it doesn't quite hit as hard but the trade is a beautifully musical amp. I can definitely give up a bit of "wow" factor for the better overall performance of the Pass. Pass is still dynamic enough I can listen to any Rock and be satisfied by the Pass rendition.

Feanor
02-02-2015, 05:35 AM
I think you described the Pass well. It does great crescendos but when comparing to something like Krell it doesn't quite hit as hard but the trade is a beautifully musical amp. I can definitely give up a bit of "wow" factor for the better overall performance of the Pass. Pass is still dynamic enough I can listen to any Rock and be satisfied by the Pass rendition.

I agree that Pass are plenty dynamic, significantly more so than my recent Class D Audio, and Monarchy Audio amps. My X150.5 also delivered was a truer sense of orchestra "weight" (in case of classical music) that I hadn't experience from any previous amp. Furthermore the Pass' ability to create amazingly real, 3D, haut-relief images is ultimately what I like best about the my Pass.

harley .guy07
02-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Yeah the Parasound A21 was on my list of amps when I was looking with Odyssey and a few others but I have always been a Pass fan and his designs always seem to bring the true music out of systems more so than others but I had written Pass off as more than I could afford until I discovered a X150.5 on sale used for around the same price as the Odyssey and Parasound amps and I jumped on it. I am so glad I did and even though my speakers aren't priced up there to match the Pass amp I think the amp is bringing more out of the audience 60s than most people would probably think was capable of them especially with the sun I added a while back. The simple change of amplifier to the X150.5 was the one thing that took my system to the next level more so than any other change.

blackraven
02-02-2015, 11:55 AM
The Pass amp changed my system for the better and the BAT preamp took it even further.

The A21 is still a very good amp but I am surprised that Parasound has not upgraded it. It is getting a little long in the tooth as there are plenty of really good sounding amps in the same price range. All the amp needs is a little less grain, a little more warmth and a blacker background to take it to the next level.

Hwfa
02-17-2015, 02:53 AM
As much as I enjoy my Krell S-300i I am wondering about Dan's new Momentum integrated amp for only $45,000. I think it might be a nice step-up in performance. I am sure the Focal's would love it. Of course the number one question is where the hell do I get the money?

blackraven
02-17-2015, 10:18 AM
I would love to have one of those D'Agostino amps. I would love to compare one to a Pass XA200.8. Of course the heat from the Pass would be an issue as it can go over 400 peak watts in class A (not continuous).