Sound bar primer, please .... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sound bar primer, please ....

hidesert47
01-21-2015, 04:31 PM
If you can direct me to a resource that already covers this, please do.

I have a dumb TV, namely LG 5900. No Bluetooth. Optical audio output. I need more speakerage. I'd like a soundbar and wireless sub of moderate price. But I don't understand this part ....

Does the sound bar have the Bluetooth transmitter for the sub, or must the Bluetooth signal come from the TV? Am I making sense? Can I have a Bluetooth sub if I have a dumb TV? Will the sound bar provide the bass signal to the sub?

Thanks for any help!

Hyfi
01-21-2015, 06:35 PM
Soundbar with it's own sub work off of the one input wireless.

Also look at Sound Base units like ZVox. Mine has a 5" woofer with a sub-out which I use with it.

hidesert47
01-22-2015, 06:15 AM
Sorry for my ignorance ....

So you're saying, yes, a soundbar will talk to its own sub, even if the TV has no WiFi?

Mr Peabody
01-22-2015, 06:31 AM
That is correct. If in your budget and not too big check out the Atlatic Technology soundbar, it needs no sub.

Sorry for my ignorance ....

So you're saying, yes, a soundbar will talk to its own sub, even if the TV has no WiFi?

TheHills44060
01-22-2015, 05:48 PM
Yep you should be able to connect the optical out on the TV to the input on the soundbar. Then soundbar will wirelessly via bluetooth send the bass signals to the subwoofer. TV does not need to be smart and you need no wireless (wifi) network for that communication to occur.

Mr Peabody
02-17-2015, 03:47 AM
No, your TV does not have to be Bluetooth to use a soundbar. You will hook the TV to the soundbar using your optical output then the soundbar does he rest.