Worst looking system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Worst looking system

newbsterv2
04-26-2004, 08:40 PM
My system has to be the worst looking system out there. I thought you guys/gals ought to have a good laugh :)

Arch
04-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Care to tell us what gears are shown in your picture?

vivisimonvi
04-27-2004, 01:32 AM
I'd probably be banned from this board for showing a pic of my system... Ever have speakers bigger than your actual TV set and calling it a "home theater" system (not just flat as I can see from yours)? Btw, I keep an amplifier and receiver stacked on each main speaker... My center channel is the same width as the TV itself, same as yours. My subwoofer is entirely a different story. Too much sound to match a 24' set people tell me... but I can always cut off the lights and pretend they're never there.

Worf101
04-27-2004, 05:52 AM
My system has to be the worst looking system out there. I thought you guys/gals ought to have a good laugh :)

By any stretch of the imagination. No cinder blocks, no cheapo JVC speakers, no DAK audio components lying around. Hell remember "it's better to SOUND GOOD, than to LOOK GOOD!!!!!!"

Da Worfster :D

Jim85IROC
04-27-2004, 10:10 AM
what's wrong with DAK? I liked my EQ when it worked. :D

Worf101
04-27-2004, 10:47 AM
what's wrong with DAK? I liked my EQ when it worked. :D

if you could call them that. It was a Fisher system, long after the venerable American brand name had been sold god knows where. It was an alright system. I bought it from them with a set of then exotic Monster Speaker cables... sigh. Those were the days.

Da Wistful Worfster

newbsterv2
04-27-2004, 05:47 PM
OK Arch this is what I have

mains - magnepan MMG's w/tweaked stands
center - paradigm cc-370(damn good center for vocals)
surr - paradigm adp-70's (dipoles not shown but excellent)
sub - paradigm ps1000(it's funny. my main goal for my system was for MUSIC wouldnt ya know?? i got the SUB and the MAINS(paradigm monitor 7's) totally wrong. they SUCK for music hence the maggies.)
receiver - integra dtr 5.2(i love this receiver plenty of power and well designed/built)
dvd - pioneer dvc-503(love this thing too it's a rock with great picture AND sound)
tv - sony vega 27"
stand - best buy special :)

cd's too many too list. the first little square cd case is ALL classical and the rotary tower behind it is rock and jazz. i also have a bunch of classical box sets in the entertainment center to the right :)

Care to tell us what gears are shown in your picture?

Arch
04-27-2004, 06:49 PM
whoa.... the Paradigm cc-370 is the same width as your 27" Sony TV? I have the same TV and I am actually thinking of getting the paradigm cc-270 for my center.... as far as I know the cc-270 isn't that much smaller than the cc-370... so eventually my system is gonna look just like yours...

newbsterv2
04-27-2004, 07:12 PM
a pic of the cc-370.......

whoa.... the Paradigm cc-370 is the same width as your 27" Sony TV? I have the same TV and I am actually thinking of getting the paradigm cc-270 for my center.... as far as I know the cc-270 isn't that much smaller than the cc-370... so eventually my system is gonna look just like yours...

Soundbro
04-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Ah Maggies........wonderful sound and double as a changing screen.

E-Stat
04-28-2004, 05:04 AM
No system using Maggies can be that bad ! :)

rw

pelly3s
04-28-2004, 05:18 AM
it doesn't look bad. mine would be one of the worst. right now i have Radio Shack Pro LX-10s while I wait for my JBL 4430's to be repaired, and the rest is a mess lol.

Sondek
04-28-2004, 06:23 AM
I have not seen anything ugly in this thread yet.

I saw a system consisting of some rusty altec VOTT speakers with home made roughshod cabinets, and wood stereo rack. This looked completely horrible. I'll have to take a picture of it some time.

Arch
04-28-2004, 11:53 AM
You know, the only thing that might've made you think you system is "ugly" is the dinky wooden TV stand where you park all your components. Really, I think your component list is more than decent.

The most expensive component I currently own is a Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player.... enough said.

If you really care about having a good looking system, just go to Ikea and pick up one of the more handsome TV stands... the ones that comes in light maple colour and sits on wheel... that's what I have and my cheapie setup looks good on it...

newbsterv2
04-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Yeah I know that stand stinks. What I plan on doing is selling off the TV and stand and getting a 36" Flat TV with a stand just big enough to support the TV and hold the receiver and dvd changer. I'll put the DVD's and CD's in a seperate storage cabinet. THEN I'm going to try and unload the Maggies so I can buy some black MG12's. This way everything will match and instead of watching a "monitor" like one of my smart assed friends likes to comment on I'll have cinema like quality! Well not exactly but close ;) Anyways I'm really surprised how positive everyone was about my system! I really thought it was BAD by definition but after hearing some stories about cinder blocks and rusty machinery I guess I'm not so bad after all!!! Thanks everybody!!

You know, the only thing that might've made you think you system is "ugly" is the dinky wooden TV stand where you park all your components. Really, I think your component list is more than decent.

The most expensive component I currently own is a Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player.... enough said.

If you really care about having a good looking system, just go to Ikea and pick up one of the more handsome TV stands... the ones that comes in light maple colour and sits on wheel... that's what I have and my cheapie setup looks good on it...

RGA
04-28-2004, 06:49 PM
At least the maggies match your carpeting AND your TV stand. The center channel throws the looks out a bit but no the worst I've seen.

newbsterv2
04-28-2004, 06:58 PM
Don't forget about the sub too! That's black as well! If I just would've bought the black maggies with the oak trim I would've been all good. Know why I didn't? Because I thought the black would show the dust easier. :D

At least the maggies match your carpeting AND your TV stand. The center channel throws the looks out a bit but no the worst I've seen.