Ya know what pisses me off? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ya know what pisses me off?

Finch Platte
01-11-2015, 05:03 PM
You buy a CD, and the little hard plastic teeth that hold the disc in its case start breaking off. If you're not careful, one or two might stay in the case, and when you put the CD back in, you're grinding the playing surface into this sharp little nugget, effing up yer disc. This just happened with a brand-spanking-new disc I just bought. Cheese & rice, got all muddy. :mad: And don't get me started on the weak plastic hinge tabs that attach the front to the back. Grrrrrr :prrr:

Whoever invented the CD case, and whichever committee pushed it through to make it a worldwide standard needs to have shards of glass shoved under their fingernails.

ForeverAutumn
01-11-2015, 05:35 PM
I hear ya! It's even more maddening when it's a digipak, so you can't even switch out the case.

Oh that reminds me! Going to look for Max Webster CDs RIGHT NOW! :eek:

ForeverAutumn
01-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Okay, sorry dude, no Max Webster on CD. But I have a some Kim Mitchell solo disks if you want those. I have a best of, and Aural Fixations. PM with your addy if'n you're interested.

Mr Peabody
01-11-2015, 08:36 PM
If you believe everything you read, you and I may be the only people still buying physical discs.

Finch Platte
01-12-2015, 05:09 AM
Okay, sorry dude, no Max Webster on CD. But I have a some Kim Mitchell solo disks if you want those. I have a best of, and Aural Fixations. PM with your addy if'n you're interested.

I've already got a couple of his best-of, plus that 'new' live one I just got. But thanks anyhoo.

I heard something the other day that I thought you'd really like, but now I can't think of what it was. Hmph. Spoon, maybe? :p

Oh yeah! It's a disc with James LaBrie called Mullmuzzler (Keep It To Yourself), released in 1999. Seeings how you adore Mr. LaCheese, you MUST already have this one, right? It has Mike Mangina on drums with Mike Keneally playing guitar. Heard it?

Ahh, here we go: <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-HAzfz_E-pI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finch Platte
01-12-2015, 05:14 AM
If you believe everything you read, you and I may be the only people still buying physical discs.

Every time I go into our local CD shoppe, there are plenty of people browsing the aisles, buying CDs, so it's not just you and me, believe me.

Don't believe everything you read!

Believe it!

Believe!

Be!

!

Feanor
01-12-2015, 05:33 AM
The standard CD "jewel case" was poorly designed from the get-go. The jewel case is highly vulnerable to damage, to more so when so many are shipped from online sellers as is the case today though it wasn't when CDs were invented.

I suspect that back then a high priority was to display artwork which called for a clear plastic which was, unfortunately, necessitated a brittle plastic. Today I think non-brittle alternatives are more available and ought to be used.

As mainly a classical music listener I still usually want the physical CD though hi-rez downloads are becoming more available. With a physical CD you have another back up of the music you've paid for.

bfalls
01-12-2015, 06:32 AM
I left Sony last March. At the time we had just implemented two additional CD lines we received from the closed Pitman plant. We were running CDs at a capacity of 750,000/day. CDs are still alive, but the writing is on the wall. It won't be long where all music and video will be bought and sold and only available on your "cloud" account. The upside is quality and availability on all your devices from one location.

Feanor
01-12-2015, 08:12 AM
I left Sony last March. At the time we had just implemented two additional CD lines we received from the closed Pitman plant. We were running CDs at a capacity of 750,000/day. CDs are still alive, but the writing is on the wall. It won't be long where all music and video will be bought and sold and only available on your "cloud" account. The upside is quality and availability on all your devices from one location.

Humm ... well I'm absolutely NOT interested in streaming music from The Cloud. Call me old-fashioned but I want my files on my own drives.

Hyfi
01-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Humm ... well I'm absolutely NOT interested in streaming music from The Cloud. Call me old-fashioned but I want my files on my own drives.

Im old fashioned also and like physical disks. Although I have a ton of music someone else ripped to MP3, they are not up to snuff. I have a handful of FLAC that sounds decent thru my Fubar USB DAC but I have no real interest in ripping every physical disc I have to a drive for streaming.

As per the jewel cases, there are good quality cases and crappy quality. I just bought my wife the latest remastered copy of Jesus Christ Superstar and the case is like old times as well as the disk fitting so tightly that you need to hold the center down and very lightly rotate the disk to let go so you don't snap the disk in half. I also buy them at 250 per case and in most cases, they are thin cheap crap.

ForeverAutumn
01-12-2015, 05:49 PM
I heard something the other day that I thought you'd really like, but now I can't think of what it was. Hmph. Spoon, maybe? :p

Oh yeah! It's a disc with James LaBrie called Mullmuzzler (Keep It To Yourself), released in 1999. Seeings how you adore Mr. LaCheese, you MUST already have this one, right? It has Mike Mangina on drums with Mike Keneally playing guitar. Heard it?

I would have believed Spoon too since I'm digging the new disk so far. I've hear that Mullmuzzler. I don't think I own it...I think BarryL lent me his copy. Although I might own it. It's so hard to keep track of what I do and don't own. And I'm out of shelf space so I've got stacks of stuff all over the place which makes it really hard to find stuff. I need to put up some more shelves one of these days.

Just some mundane thoughts from my life for you to mull over.

Feanor
01-13-2015, 04:51 AM
Im old fashioned also and like physical disks. Although I have a ton of music someone else ripped to MP3, they are not up to snuff. I have a handful of FLAC that sounds decent thru my Fubar USB DAC but I have no real interest in ripping every physical disc I have to a drive for streaming.

So, though I like the physical discs, I do always rip them. I rip to FLAC consistently nowadays, though I have a good many ripped to ALAC (Apple Lossless); I don't hear an quality difference between the two. Both sound at least as good as CDs played from my Sony player, both played thru my Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC -- which is to say they sound great.

The convenience of playing from computer files beats wrangling disc. BTW, the hassle of handling LPs was one of the many reasons that I abandoned vinyl more than 15 years ago; that plus the fact that there isn't much classical music on LP any more.

Finch Platte
01-13-2015, 04:01 PM
I would have believed Spoon too since I'm digging the new disk so far. I've hear that Mullmuzzler. I don't think I own it...I think BarryL lent me his copy. Although I might own it. It's so hard to keep track of what I do and don't own. And I'm out of shelf space so I've got stacks of stuff all over the place which makes it really hard to find stuff. I need to put up some more shelves one of these days.

Just some mundane thoughts from my life for you to mull over.

The MullMuzzler sounds pretty poopy, sonically. Plus, it's got this guy singing who sounds bad enough he might sing for Dream Theater or something. Don't look for it in your clutter, it's not worth the search.

Nice to hear about your messy house, though. :)

JoeE SP9
01-14-2015, 12:46 PM

I make at least one more.

Finch Platte
01-14-2015, 02:49 PM
I make at least one more.

Dang, Joe, nice of you to post your 2,600th post here. Where do you usually post to get that kind of number?