Terry Callier [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Terry Callier

Mr Peabody
01-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Frenchmon turned me onto this guy. I really like his music a lot, so far I have What Color Is Love from 1972 and Timepeace from 1998. His music is hard to put into a category as he mixes R&B, Folk & Jazz into his own thing. I find WCIL to have more of that early 70's R&B feel yet the first track is something more unique, one of his that defies a category. Another nice thing about the albums the songs vary so the entire album is a nice listen. Terry started recording in the 60's and after getting custody of his daughter went to school for computer programming, I believe in 91. However, a DJ or somebody in England discovered his music and began to play it again, so he began to do gigs in the UK and eventually, and fortunately, began to record again. Timepeace is from that 2nd phase, a very good album with more unique tracks, possibly more folk. My stand out tracks from Timepeace are Lazarus Man, Trader To Your Race and New York Guy.

There's tracks on YouTube, give this guy a listen. Terry lost his life to cancer in 2012 at age 67.

Finch Platte
01-11-2015, 05:12 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ozaLAy0XKeY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This song is kind of syrupy, with strings. I like his voice, though, I'll check out more stuff. Thanks.

Mr Peabody
01-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Yeah, his music is more on the chill side. Check out Lazarus Man. Trader To Your Race is more up tempo, I like it pretty well. I like those songs that have sort of a mystical feel to t hem

Mr Peabody
01-11-2015, 08:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzzEFSc28OY this is one I like. The link looks odd hope it works