Needs advice on cartridge for denon turntable dp-45f [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Needs advice on cartridge for denon turntable dp-45f

Rahul Anand
01-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Hello. I have a denon turntable, dp-45F and it has a grado MF1 (grado silver series). . I need a new cartridge and was wondering which one to get. If possible, I'd like to spend < $150 with the aim of getting broad frequency reponse, clear vocals, and oversell balanced sound from my LPs. A few questions to consider:

1. I hear a loud humm if I crank up my receiver volume too high. Would a moving coil or moving magnet cartridge help solve this?
2. I need a new headshell for my deni. Turntable. Where can I get one that fits?

Mr Peabody
01-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Hello. I have a denon turntable, dp-45F and it has a grado MF1 (grado silver series). . I need a new cartridge and was wondering which one to get. If possible, I'd like to spend < $150 with the aim of getting broad frequency reponse, clear vocals, and oversell balanced sound from my LPs. A few questions to consider:

Grado typically has a reputation of being a bit colored, did you like the Grado? I ask because you may want to stick with Grado or similar if you like the sound. I find Ortofon to be a good value and neutral, not being colored, warm, or the other direction juiced up highs or thin sounding. Ortofon would give you what you describe but what you describe typically is not Grado. Some like Audio Teknika carts in your budget range as well. Me personally I like the Ortofon better.

1. I hear a loud humm if I crank up my receiver volume too high. Would a moving coil or moving magnet cartridge help solve this?

This could be something with the headshell since you say you need a new one. Typically hum is due to something not being grounded well. Do you have the ground wire connected to the back of your receiver from your Denon, there should be a thumb screw next to the phono input. If you are using a phono input make sure the phono preamp is built in to your amp.

2. I need a new headshell for my deni. Turntable. Where can I get one that fits?

I would contact Denon directly or possibly some place online like Needledoctor.

Welcome to AR

blackraven
01-13-2015, 09:17 AM
I agree with Mr. P. Contact the needle Doctor. As far as the hum is concerned, do you have the ground from the TT connected? Also, some Grado's are prone to a hum from what I have read.

A nice cartridge is the Nagaoka MP-110. It is forgiving of record noise like hiss and pops. It leans on the slightly warmer side of neutral which is a good thing with inexpensive TT's and cartridges. Otherwise consider an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge.

Nagaoka MP-110 phono cartridge,Nagaoka MP 110 phono cartridge,Nagaoka MP110 phono cartridge,Nagaoka MP-110 phonograph cartridge,Nagaoka MP 110 phonograph cartridge,Nagaoka MP110 phonograph cartridge,Nagaoka MP-110 phonograph cartridge,Nagaoka MP 110 (http://www.lpgear.com/product/NAGAOKAMP110.html)