So they preach room treatments [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So they preach room treatments

Mr Peabody
01-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Let me tell you it's true. I really knew that, I was impressed some years back at the improvement when I placed a tapestry on my wall to damp reflections. However, having both HT and stereo in same room brings on compromises. I have my 62" TV center of my speakers, back some but still not a good thing. My Dyn's I fired forward so this may not have been such big deal. My F52's fire toward the sitting position due to the wave guides on the tweeters, this is recommended. I was sitting and listening, it just came to me, I began thinking of how the reflections of the inside radiation would be reflecting right off that TV screen. There happened to be a quilted throw on the sofa my wife or girls use when we watch movies, I grabbed it and threw it over the screen, sat back down and, holy cow, what a difference. It was a large improvement, background was quieter, more detail, highs cleaned up, I was just amazed. I am just kicking myself as to why it took me so long to realize I should try something there. Any way I wanted to share the experience, the improvement was huge.

bfalls
01-07-2015, 05:42 AM
Do you also treat the back wall for slap echo? I have bookcases with books and media. Some say to pull every other book out a little to help trap reflections. I tried it but didn't hear a lot of difference. Does moving your speakers more into the room help diminish the reflections from the TV.

harley .guy07
01-07-2015, 02:10 PM
I have played with theses types of things over the years with good results. While My wife and I just bought a house a couple years ago and it is a sizable room I also have to incorporate my 2 channel and multichannel rig into one room as it makes sense as my 3d spare bedroom is rather small and has other things like guitar and bass amps and musical instruments in there. The idea is viable that it would dampen the screen on the tv and block the bad reflections off of it. It is something I might try in my room some time just to see if it works for me but it might be that your Revels being positioned the way they do with the waveguides benefit more from this sort of treatment but yet I prefer my Dynaudios positioned a little towed in (maybe 20-25 degrees or so) they seem to like that placement in my room.

Mr Peabody
01-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Do you also treat the back wall for slap echo? I have bookcases with books and media. Some say to pull every other book out a little to help trap reflections. I tried it but didn't hear a lot of difference. Does moving your speakers more into the room help diminish the reflections from the TV.

I think the bookshelf in itself would be fine to damp reflections. My back wall has an open doorway with the wall having a fairly large bookshelf with 3 rows of LP's. It's my personal taste but I don't like the room overly dampened, I like the 50/50 approach where if the back wall is treated then the wall behind the speakers should be alright. The first reflections from your speakers appears to be very important though to stop them.