The most popular forum (Rave Recordings) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The most popular forum (Rave Recordings)

Jack in Wilmington
12-22-2014, 05:09 AM
The Rave Recordings forum has been the one with the most posts for years and I look and there have been no posts in 10 days. C'mon

I just got Mendelssohn's Piano Trios No. 1 and No. 2 and it's excellent. This has Yo Yo Ma on cello, Emanuel Ax on piano and Itzhak Perlman on violin. This is a must have for any classical music fan.

Hyfi
12-22-2014, 06:32 AM
I have been listening to some really old Gong lately. Allen Holdsworth on Geetar

Mr Peabody
12-22-2014, 06:32 AM
What label is that on, I'd like to get it, great talented musicians. Did you get CD or vinyl?

Recently, I picked up Nancy Wilson with Cannonball Adderly on CD. Can't believe I just recently discovered Nancy Wilson. I got Heart, The Road Home which is some cool acoustic versions and reworking of their classic songs, a couple of the Zeppelin remasters (2014) which are really good, nice improvement over the original or any prior versions.

Jack in Wilmington
12-22-2014, 07:34 AM
What label is that on, I'd like to get it, great talented musicians. Did you get CD or vinyl?

Recently, I picked up Nancy Wilson with Cannonball Adderly on CD. Can't believe I just recently discovered Nancy Wilson. I got Heart, The Road Home which is some cool acoustic versions and reworking of their classic songs, a couple of the Zeppelin remasters (2014) which are really good, nice improvement over the original or any prior versions.

It's on the Sony label. Picked it up on Amazon. I also picked up Opeth's Heritage after being blown away by Pale Communion. It's not PC but it's not like their earlier death metal offerings either.

blackraven
12-22-2014, 09:01 AM
I recently picked up Johnny Hartman with John Coltrane on LP and CD

Amazon.com: John Coltrane And Johnny Hartman: John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman: Music (http://www.amazon.com/John-Coltrane-Johnny-Hartman/dp/B000W1MEFG/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1419266955&sr=1-1&keywords=johnny+hartman+and+john+coltrane)

And a few Julie London LP's-

Amazon.com: julie london: CDs & Vinyl (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=julie%20london&sprefix=julie+%2Cpopular%2C170)

Also on LP-

Sarah Mclachlan- Shine On

Original Master Recording Steve Miller Band- Fly Like an Eagle

CCR- Chronical

Gov't Mule- Shout

On CD-

Sound Tracks to Walter Mitty and Up in the Air

I also picked up a few used Telarc Classical CD's at my local store for about $3 each. All great recordings as most of Telarc is.

JohnMichael
12-22-2014, 09:32 AM

I have always liked Nancy Wilson the jazz singer better than the Nancy Wilson of Heart.

Mr Peabody
12-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Jack, I can't remember if I posted this or just thought hard about it, not long ago I played one of my Opeth and it was like a rediscovery. I haven't played any since I got the #512 and upgraded cables. I ended up playing all I had over the course of the next couple of days.

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Telarc. I'd also like to get my hands on more Sheffield Labs but people probably don't let go of those. I like a bit of the Govt. Mule as well.

Yeah, JM, Nancy Wilson and the Wilson sisters are two different flavors. Although I believe it's Ann who is the primary vocalist. She had an interesting solo album out a few years back with a great cover rework of Zeppelin's Immigrant Song. Actually, the entire album was covers, a duet with Elton John on Blue Canoe. The way she performed the songs in her own way made them interesting. Back to Nancy, the Jazz singer, I think next I will get her anthology but any suggestions would be appreciated. I like the earlier Jazz & Blues stuff a bit better myself.

Swish
12-23-2014, 03:26 AM
The Rave Recordings forum has been the one with the most posts for years and I look and there have been no posts in 10 days. C'mon

I just got Mendelssohn's Piano Trios No. 1 and No. 2 and it's excellent. This has Yo Yo Ma on cello, Emanuel Ax on piano and Itzhak Perlman on violin. This is a must have for any classical music fan.

What's the point in posting when so few, if anyone, replies? It's like talking to a wall.

Jack in Wilmington
12-23-2014, 04:32 AM
What's the point in posting when so few, if anyone, replies? It's like talking to a wall.

I think it's just a matter of finding the right subject to talk about. The bands that you're into are not what you would call mainstream, and consequently you get little or no response. I do get much more traffic over at Progressive Ears, but I still like to post here also. You just have to know your audience.

ForeverAutumn
12-23-2014, 07:41 AM
I think it's just a matter of finding the right subject to talk about. The bands that you're into are not what you would call mainstream, and consequently you get little or no response. I do get much more traffic over at Progressive Ears, but I still like to post here also. You just have to know your audience.

Not being mainstream used to be the beauty of this place. This is where we came to talk about music that wasn't mainstream; that never got commercial radio play; that few, if any, of our friends had ever heard of. That was the audience.

What name do you post under at PE?

Jack in Wilmington
12-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Not being mainstream used to be the beauty of this place. This is where we came to talk about music that wasn't mainstream; that never got commercial radio play; that few, if any, of our friends had ever heard of. That was the audience.

What name do you post under at PE?

Same as on AR. I see you on there FA. I've been spending time on the different Opeth posts that are on there as I try to expand my catalog of their music. Usually if there is a post on one of the prog bands that I'm into, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

ForeverAutumn
12-23-2014, 11:34 AM
So you're not going to tell me what moniker you post under then?

I don't post much there, but I lurk a lot. If I do post it's usually on something OT. For the most part, once a thread reaches a page I'm done with it. I mean, do you really need 10 pages on the new Steve Wilson album that hasn't even been released yet? :D

Jack in Wilmington
12-23-2014, 11:46 AM
So you're not going to tell me what moniker you post under then?

I don't post much there, but I lurk a lot. If I do post it's usually on something OT. For the most part, once a thread reaches a page I'm done with it. I mean, do you really need 10 pages on the new Steve Wilson album that hasn't even been released yet? :D

I'm sorry FA. "Jack in Wilmington" is what I post under. I like what Steve Wilson has done in remixing some of my favorite groups into a 5.1 format. I'm listen to Opeth's Heritage in DTS 5.1 now and it sounds very good, but you're right I too lose interest on some posts if they get long winded.

ForeverAutumn
12-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Sorry. I've not noticed you there so I just assumed that you were posting under a different name. :blush2:

Jack in Wilmington
12-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Sorry. I've not noticed you there so I just assumed that you were posting under a different name. :blush2:

There is a lot of chatter over there and it's easy to miss posts.

Finch Platte
12-24-2014, 04:24 PM
My dog has fleas.

Swish
12-25-2014, 04:56 PM

The bands that I like aren't mainstream, but that was never the point of this site. In fact, the opposite of mainstream would be closer to it.

Davey, Slosh, Rae, Snowbunny, J, Nobody, and countless others appreciate the music that I do, and we've had many lengthy threads in the past. Most of them rarely, if ever, stop by these days.

Jack in Wilmington
12-25-2014, 07:30 PM
The bands that I like aren't mainstream, but that was never the point of this site. In fact, the opposite of mainstream would be closer to it.

Davey, Slosh, Rae, Snowbunny, J, Nobody, and countless others appreciate the music that I do, and we've had many lengthy threads in the past. Most of them rarely, if ever, stop by these days.

That's sort of what I'm saying. The people that appreciate your music don't hang here anymore and hence a lot of your posts go unanswered. Forever Autumn, Mr Peabody, myself and others have found Progressive Ears as a great place to talk about progressive rock and many other subjects. There may not be the quantity here but I still feel we have some quality in knowledgeable people if you know your audience and ask the right questions.

Swish, Right now on Progressive Ears there is a post entitled "The Decemberists... The Hazards of Love. The post has 35 replies. Not that I'm trying to send you over there, but if you go there, mention AR and maybe some of them will gravitate here.

Hyfi
12-26-2014, 05:36 AM
My dog has fleas.

Most likely, you do too

unleasHell
12-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Cue up: GHOST TOWN by The Specials...

ForeverAutumn
12-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Swish, Right now on Progressive Ears there is a post entitled "The Decemberists... The Hazards of Love. The post has 35 replies. Not that I'm trying to send you over there, but if you go there, mention AR and maybe some of them will gravitate here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OMG! The last thing that Swishy wants is more proggers here. That's, like, his worst nightmare!

LMFAO!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack in Wilmington
12-27-2014, 02:34 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OMG! The last thing that Swishy wants is more proggers here. That's, like, his worst nightmare!

LMFAO!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's always complaining about the lack of chatter here, so I figured he needed to go out and do some recruiting. If these were people that were into the Decemberists, they might be from his home planet.

Hyfi
12-27-2014, 03:24 PM
He's always complaining about the lack of chatter here, so I figured he needed to go out and do some recruiting. If these were people that were into the Decemberists, they might be from his home planet.

I think he has been Spoon fed for too long

blackraven
12-29-2014, 01:55 PM
I just downloaded and burned this Blue Coast Album-

Seminole Star
Quiles & Cloud

Seminole Star | Quiles & Cloud (http://quilesandcloud.downloadsnow.net/)

Give it a listen. It is an acoustic album and an excellent recording as all of Blue Cost are.

3LB
01-06-2015, 04:34 PM
I think I posted about the new Spoon album here a few weeks ago, but I rarely check back more than once or twice, assuming no response. In fact, I think the site was rather f'd up from what I remember - when something smacks of as much effort as this site has been in recent years, its gonna lose posters.

3LB
01-06-2015, 04:48 PM
The Rave Recordings forum has been the one with the most posts for years and I look and there have been no posts in 10 days. C'mon Just now noticing this? Its been that way for 3-4 years now.

I just got Mendelssohn's Piano Trios No. 1 and No. 2 and it's excellent. This has Yo Yo Ma on cello, Emanuel Ax on piano and Itzhak Perlman on violin. This is a must have for any classical music fan. I'll look into it. I do like smaller ensemble pieces when it comes to classical or jazz - did you see the classical thread over at PE?

3LB
01-06-2015, 05:07 PM
I also picked up Opeth's Heritage after being blown away by Pale Communion. It's not PC but it's not like their earlier death metal offerings either.
I actually jumped off the Opeth wagon after Heritage. No, I'm not a fan of CMVs either, but I was hoping for something along the lines of Damnation. I haven't picked up Pale Communion. Heritage for me was kinda blah, short on rock, just sorta languid textural stuff ala Steve Wilson solo. In fact, the much awaited collaboration Wilson and Akerfeld was just more of the same slow, 70s stoner style rock - lots of anti-climactic textural components that wanted to build tension but then would just sorta wind down with not much of a payoff. Needless to say I've been kinda underwhelmed by Steve Wilson's last few solo efforts as well. Not saying that they don't have a few pieces that don't hold my attention but I've found lately that I want to be wowed and maybe my expectations are too lofty. I find that I wind up asking myself, "if this wasn't Opeth or Steve Wilson, would I even give the stuff this much of an effort?" I don't want to be a completest. Some music I like today is stuff I gave more than one chance but a lot of my favorites, songs or albums, I've liked right away (unfortunately, that isn't happening a lot lately). I must be getting old.

Jack in Wilmington
01-06-2015, 05:47 PM
I actually jumped off the Opeth wagon after Heritage. No, I'm not a fan of CMVs either, but I was hoping for something along the lines of Damnation. I haven't picked up Pale Communion. Heritage for me was kinda blah, short on rock, just sorta languid textural stuff ala Steve Wilson solo. In fact, the much awaited collaboration Wilson and Akerfeld was just more of the same slow, 70s stoner style rock - lots of anti-climactic textural components that wanted to build tension but then would just sorta wind down with not much of a payoff. Needless to say I've been kinda underwhelmed by Steve Wilson's last few solo efforts as well. Not saying that they don't have a few pieces that don't hold my attention but I've found lately that I want to be wowed and maybe my expectations are too lofty. I find that I wind up asking myself, "if this wasn't Opeth or Steve Wilson, would I even give the stuff this much of an effort?" I don't want to be a completest. Some music I like today is stuff I gave more than one chance but a lot of my favorites, songs or albums, I've liked right away (unfortunately, that isn't happening a lot lately. I must be getting old.

I was that way when I first listened to Marillion's Misplaced Childhood. It didn't do anything for me and I put it in the CD cabinet and forgot it. Thanks to some conversation over at PE, I pulled it back out and now I'm loving it. I'm really into Pale Communion. I play it almost every day. Played it today on the plane ride to Ft. Lauderdale and the guy sitting next to me was a college student from Lafayette University. He saw the album cover on my laptop screen and wanted to know what they sounded like as he had heard of them. I let him plug his headphones into the second jack and started from the beginning. He really got into it.

bfalls
01-07-2015, 05:55 AM
My dog has fleas.

I understood the reference. It's all about the music.

blackraven
01-07-2015, 10:18 AM
I recently picked up this XRCD and LP

Ernie Watts | Classic Moods | CD Baby Music Store (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/erniewatts4)

and

Amazon.com: The Byrds: The Byrds Greatest Hits (180 Gram Audiophile Vinyl/Limited Edition/Gatefold Cover): Music (http://www.amazon.com/Byrds-Greatest-Audiophile-Limited-Gatefold/dp/B007T8HCMA/ref=tmm_vnl_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1420654643)

Hyfi
01-07-2015, 10:24 AM
I got another nice package of music from Finchy like old times :)

Roine Stolt - Wall Street Voodoo is awesome!