Hello [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello

chopin-geek
12-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Hello All,

I have a set of Advent Laureate speakers which I need an amp/receiver and turntable for. I listen to a lot of classical (piano, voice, organ, orchestral, kind of the whole gamut), and also dance music with heavy bass, world music, some rock. I guess since the speakers are already determined, I want to get an amp that will work well with them, and have some squiggle room if I decide to upgrade to different/better speakers later. It has been a while since I had anything decent to listen on, so any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!:smile5:

Mr Peabody
12-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Welcome to AR.

Fairly ambiguous order you have, have you set a budget or wanting new/used?

For your music taste I'd go with something with low distortion and some current. New NAD has quite a line up of integrated amps from a few hundred on up. Most major turntable brands have nice entry tables with cart for $400.00 or so, Rega, Pro-Ject etc.

chopin-geek
12-10-2014, 05:44 AM
Mr Peabody, thanks for the info. I am going to buy used if I can. It has been over 15 years since I shopped for a system, so I don't really know what's out there or what the prices are like, but I imagine I will be sticking to the moderately priced stuff. I am not as concerned about the turntable, because the records I have are not great quality, but I do want the amp to be a good one. I was hoping for an integrated amp with a receiver, because we don't have very much space. Also, I have a good ear (I'm a classical pianist), but I am not very knowledgeable about the technical stuff, so I'm pretty much a neophyte here. Thanks again!

Mr Peabody
12-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Used can be tricky, "vintage" receivers (one box unit with radio & amp), are in vogue and costing more than they should used in my opinion. The more popular vintage Pioneer, Sansui & marantz are not cheap. A used stereo Harman Kardon or Luxman would be a nice find and good sounding receiver. You might also find Adcom separates in your budget.