Hi from England [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hi from England

ackers159
11-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Hello everyone,

Just signed up, found the site via google looking for cartridge advice. I've only recently been able to afford the audio set up i've been craving since i was a teenager, (a long time ago!). Big into vinyl and valves and learning constantly about it, hence the reason for joining this forum.
Looking forward to learning more tips and tricks.

Cheers

Phil

JohnMichael
11-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Hello everyone,

Just signed up, found the site via google looking for cartridge advice. I've only recently been able to afford the audio set up i've been craving since i was a teenager, (a long time ago!). Big into vinyl and valves and learning constantly about it, hence the reason for joining this forum.
Looking forward to learning more tips and tricks.

Cheers

Phil

Welcome to AR! I am a big vinyl fan and love tweaking my turntable. Looking forward to your posts regarding vinyl, tables and cartridges.

blackraven
11-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Welcome to AR mate!

Tell us about your gear.

LARRY

ackers159
11-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the replies lads, good to hear from you. JohnMichael, i don't have a lot of knowledge yet, only been getting my kit together since February, still early days. Wish i had started earlier though and I'm kicking myself i didn't buy more vinyl in the 90's, the price over here for things like Oasis, Pearl jam etc, normally start around £50.
Larry Your list is impressive, I'm starting out with just a headphone set up at the moment, then when I've got the money (after I've bought the wife a new kitchen!) I'm getting the amp and speaker set up. Currently i have;
Roksan Radius 5.2 acrylic with Nima tone arm using a Ortofon 2m blue.
Icon audio PS1 mk II phono pre amp, just set up for MC at the moment, but again in the future I'm looking at getting this upgraded to MM coupled with MM cartridge.
Icon audio HP9 mk II Headphone amp
AKG K550 Headphones
At the moment it goes through a sony av amp and KEF 1505 5.1

Mr Peabody
11-28-2014, 08:30 AM
Welcome to AR. For just getting started looks like you are on a good path. Did you mix up MC & MM? I thought the 2m was MM. Either way Ortofon is a nice cart. There seems to be a much wider variety of brands of headphones now than in the past but when seeing prices I have to wonder if popularity has driven prices up, or if the newer headphones are just better. I tend to lean to the former. I don't use them a lot but glad I bought some Sennheiser HD600's before prices began to trend higher.

ackers159
11-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Your right Mr Peabody, got MM & MC the wrong way round! I'm only on MM at the moment and as I'm only listening to vinyl most of the time through headphones, i can't justify going to MC yet. I am clueless about headphones, i even bought a pair of Beats 2 years ago, complete waste of money, my daughter has them now, apparently they're cool? I agree with you about popularity, it's just been announced over here that vinyl sales have hit a new high, first time since 1996, which no doubt means everything will now go up in price.

blackraven
11-29-2014, 08:14 AM
That's a great set up you have there. I have a friend who started out with top notch headphone gear and now he has a stellar 2ch audio system.

Here in the U.S., vinyl is out selling CD's. All the music stores here in St. Paul-Minneapolis are selling vinyl with a couple of stores specializing in Vinyl. I just set up a TT system in the last few months after going without since 1992. Mine is a nice budget vintage system that sounds great.