Subwoofer Crossover [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Crossover

Wolfdog0
11-23-2014, 11:37 AM
What I wanted to know is where do I set the crossover point on my subwoofer to match the best sound to my JBL HLS610 speakers. The sub has knob that controls the frequency from 50hz to 200hz. The speakers are from 55hz to 20kHz +/- 3db. My receiver is a Onkyo TX-8050 2 channel receiver. My receiver doesn't have a sub control so I have to adjust the crossover on my sub. I assumed to set it around 60hz on my sub but I don't know what is the best frequency for the sub.

harley .guy07
11-23-2014, 12:49 PM
I would say no higher than 80hz since that is where sound starts to localize to where you can tell where it comes from. I would just let your ears be the judge. Just set the crossover and level to where the sub does not show itself and blends perfectly with the speakers. that exactly what I did when I added a sub to my system.

Wolfdog0
11-23-2014, 03:25 PM
So basically for any speakers I should never set it higher than 80hz on the sub even for small speakers that are from 90hz to 20kHz? I have another set of speakers that are small with a sub and for those I set it around 100hz but was I suppose to set it to 80hz? I didn't know that higher than 80hz you will notice where the sub is. But if that's the case why does the sub can go up to 200hz? Does that mean they setting it at 100hz for a 90hz speakers is too high? Or should I set it to exactly 90hz? I guess for the JBL I have to see what sounds the best since it seems like there is no rule to set it to for them.

JoeE SP9
11-24-2014, 06:51 AM
IMO/E, ideally the best setting for a sub woofer crossover is at the-3dB point of the main speakers.

Feanor
11-24-2014, 07:33 AM
IMO/E, ideally the best setting for a sub woofer crossover is at the-3dB point of the main speakers.

I thinks so too. That is, the sub should take over only where the mains leave off.

Or at least that's a good general rule. There could be circumstances where the mains just don't have the power handling desired near the bottom of their range; in that case the sub may take over higher up, (say 80Hz or 100Hz), but preferably only if there is a complementary high-pass that keeps the bass out of the mains. Good example of this for me were that Magneplanar MMG's whose -3dB was 50-55Hz but couldn't produce satisfying power or bass dynamics unless replaced by a sub up to 80Hz.

But my current Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's -3dB is about 45Hz and they CAN deliver the power and dynamics to the point. I run them full range and set my PSB Subsonic 10 sub's low-pass to 50Hz, (its lowest setting). This works well.

services620
12-24-2014, 03:39 AM
I am enjoyed. I wanted to know more Subwoofer Crossover. Thanks!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
12-24-2014, 03:46 PM
I am going to offer a different perspective on crossover points. As folks have said here, 80hz is the go to crossover point in most setups. However, if you position your subwoofer between your mains(and they have a 90hz and above power response in room), then you can use a higher crossover point than 90hz(up to 120hz) without the sub being localized. Since the sub essentially "mono-izes the signal below the crossover point, then the imaging would be centrally right in between the main L/R speakers. Locate the sub there, and you lose nothing. Locate the subs in a corner, and you will feel the pressure wave from that direction(you may not hear it though).

The position of the sub, and the frequency capabilities of the main speakers should determine the crossover point.