Need Interconnects for whole HT System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Interconnects for whole HT System

fountboy
04-26-2004, 04:39 PM
I am putting together a whole HT system consisting of the following. I need suggestions on what interconnects for audio and video to use. I have a budget of $500 total for all cables and i dont really wanna use the overpriced Monster stuff. Thanks.

Denon AVR3805
Denon DVD2900
BenQ 8700 Front Projector (25 ft from equipment rack)
Digital Cable box
CD Player
SVS PB2-ISD Subwoofer

Thanks for any input and help.

bturk667
04-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Try Acoustic Research (AR), they make some very good interconnects and speaker cables that are very reasonably priced. I owned one of their interconnects as a stop gap until I bought the interconnects that I use. It was about $20 for a 1 meter lenght. Sounded very nice.

Radio Shack is also an option worth looking into.

fountboy
04-26-2004, 06:39 PM
I was looking at bluejeancables.com too. I saw them mentioned a bunch on this forum. They sell cables from belden, who I have heard of with high quality RCA and BNC connectors. Im just not sure how their quality is compared to others. I have also used AVCables.com for custom length cables on other systems. They use broadcast quality cable. I just dont know how these company's cables compare in quality or sound compared with prepackaged stuff.

Thanks for your reply, Ill check out your suggestions.

mtrycraft
04-26-2004, 08:34 PM
I just dont know how these company's cables compare in quality or sound compared with prepackaged stuff.

You may also want to try partsexpress.com. There is no evidence for cable sonics so no need to worry about that aspect.

maxg
04-27-2004, 03:07 AM
I am putting together a whole HT system consisting of the following. I need suggestions on what interconnects for audio and video to use. I have a budget of $500 total for all cables and i dont really wanna use the overpriced Monster stuff. Thanks.

Denon AVR3805
Denon DVD2900
BenQ 8700 Front Projector (25 ft from equipment rack)
Digital Cable box
CD Player
SVS PB2-ISD Subwoofer

Thanks for any input and help.

Video:

From what I can see online your best bet for connections is to use RGB via RCA cables between the DVD player, the receiver and the projector. Your projector actually supports DVI but as your other components do not I dont see how you can go this route.

I dont know what video output options your cable box has, but from what I can glean from the net your Receiver will be able to convert either composite or svideo into component so that shouldnt be a problem either.

Audio:

I cant tell if your DVD/SACD player supports the new Denon link connection. If it does - use it - it will save a lot of spagetti!! If not, and if you intend to use SACD in multi-channel guise then you will be stuck with 6 RCA's to connect the DVD player to the receiver to get full surround sound SACD at the best possible quality.

I would suggest you connect your CD player either optically or via coax to both reduce the number of cables and to make use of the built in decoder on the receiver which looks to be a good one.

Similar for the cable box - subject to its being able to support either optical or coax.

In summary wherever possible use digital interconnects to reduce the tangle - which make you go for is entirely upto you but if you are going to get various qualities get the best quality you can for the longest run to the projector and the lower quality ones save for the shorter runs.

IMHO - YMMV and all that jazz....

Tony_Montana
04-27-2004, 01:46 PM
I have also used AVCables.com for custom length cables on other systems. They use broadcast quality cable.

Sorry, but there is no such a thing as "broadcast quality" cables. Quality is quality no matter if it comes pre packaged or sold thru a vender. AR, RS (Fusion or Gold Series) or Bluejeancables are all quality cables.

Bluejeanscables tend to have cables that are superiour on longer runs (over 6'). But if IC is going to be shorter, AR or RS cables will do fine :)