Soundsmith Great Work, Great Service [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Soundsmith Great Work, Great Service

Byron4
11-20-2014, 07:20 AM
I haven't had the time to post in a while due to my workload, however I just received my retipped phono cartridge and had to give props to Soundsmith and Peter Ledermann. Over 30 years ago I had a Talisman S low output moving coil (lomc) phono cartridge. I used it regularly for nine years and when it wore out I wanted to trade it in on a new one. Unfortunately Sumiko discontinued the line. I was able to find a Talisman A lomc which was almost as good so I traded it in and used that cartridge until I accidently bent the cantilever. This cartridge sat in a drawer for almost 20 years. I had encountered a company called Soundsmith and decided to take a chance. They have three levels of retipping so I went with the cheapest which was $150 plus shipping for an aluminum cantilever. I just received the cartridge back yesterday. Since this is a lomc I had to dig up a preamp with a step up so it took a while to step up. It was worth it. As I listen it seems to have the same qualities as the original. I completely agree with all the rave about both Soundsmith the company and the owner Peter Ledermann who personally rebuilds the cartridges. I called a couple of times and he answered the telephone personally to assist me. They have three levels of retipping at $150, $250, $350. I understand the other two levels are significantly better. Now my only dilemma is which cartridge to use either my Grado Platinum or my new Talisman.

02audionoob
11-22-2014, 10:33 AM
I had a Dynavector 10x4 done at SoundSmith. It was the $150 level, which I saw as being the right stylus for the cartridge. I then had a Benz LO 0.04 done with the $250 and it's my main cartridge. I really enjoy the detail I get from it. The 10x4 went to my wife's system. I've also had a DV-20XH done with the $250 level this past summer but have yet to install it.

fairyanna
12-19-2014, 08:21 PM
I had a Dynavector 10x4 done at SoundSmith. It was the $150 level, which I saw as being the right stylus for the cartridge. I then had a Benz LO 0.04 done with the $250 and it's my main cartridge. I really enjoy the detail I get from it. The 10x4 went to my wife's system. I've also had a DV-20XH done with the $250 level this past summer but have yet to install it.

Byron4
01-16-2015, 12:39 PM
I have purchased more Grado cartridges than any other company in the past 16 years. I have bought two Platinum, two Silver, several Green, and a number of Black cartridges. When two of the Black cartridges stopped working due to misuse Grado had me send the cartridges back to them and they just replaced them. Wow two great phono cartridge companies. Its no wonder they have been around for a long time.