Quick! This may be your last chance for a comp before the Internet is attacked! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quick! This may be your last chance for a comp before the Internet is attacked!

Finch Platte
04-26-2004, 03:43 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/04/21/BUGHT686KU1.DTL

So, what would you do if you couldn't get music online? That's what I thought. It wouldn't bug me too much, either. But, you wouldn't pass up a chance to hear free music, either, wouldja?

In case you hadn't noticed, I enjoy making comps, almost as much as I enjoy sending them out to folks who may enjoy a song or two from them. So, don't be shy- even if I just sent you something. This one is a little less raucous (re: boisterous and disorderly) than most of my previous offerings, except maybe the Josh Todd (he of Buck Cherry fame) track, Shine. And maybe the Marathon track. And one of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs tracks may get you jumping a bit. But I surround those tracks with soothing, MOR-like tracks (if you know me, you'll know that's sarcasm).

Without further adoodoo:

Song/Band

In A Room- Dodgy
Trainwreck 2- Houston
Poison Tester- Against Tomorrow's Sky
The Sticks Are Woven In The Spokes- Twothirtyeight
Ice Machine- The Stella Link
Bi-Polar Opposites- A Trunk Full Of Dead Bodies
Moment- Zoloft The Rock And Roll Destroyer
Our Dictator Can Beat Up Your Dictator- Marathon
Maps/Miles Away- Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Meeting Of The Waters- Widespread Panic
Kissing In Secret- Riddle Of Steel
More's The Pity- Treble Charger
James- Blue October
My Private Nation- Train (live)
Deep- Binocular
London/Misfit- Elefant
Jimmy- Wonderland
Shine- Josh Todd

Actual order may vary. Take a chance! Hurry, before the Internet disappears! This is free music, folks!

fp

P.S. Here's a couple band descriptions for added incentive.

Dodgy never was taken seriously. Then again, they never wanted to be taken seriously. As the clowns of Brit-pop, Dodgy carved out a niche with their infectious, goofy punk-pop that alternately sounded like the early Who and the Stone Roses. While they had a number of hit singles in the UK, highlighted by "Staying Out for the Summer," their quirky British humor prevented them from landing an American record deal for several years. Nevertheless, Dodgy was able to maintain a devoted cult following into the late '90s, as they kept turning out catchy, silly power-pop tunes.

An early version of Dodgy formed in the late '80s, when Nigel Clarke (vocals, bass) and Mathew Priest (drums) moved from their native Birmingham to London. As they began working odd jobs, they placed an advertisement for a guitarist, eventually recruiting Andy Miller. Over the next few years, Dodgy played frequently, including regular stints at the Dodgy Club, where they made their live debut. In 1991, they formed their own Bostin record label to release their own singles, including "Summer Fayre" and "Easy Way.". By the end of 1992, Dodgy had earned a sizable following, attracting the attention of major labels. They signed a contract with A&M later that year, releasing their debut, The Dodgy Album, in May 1993. The record was praised by the British music press, and Dodgy soon became regulars at the emerging Camden pop scene, which was headed by Blur.

Dodgy returned during the fall of 1994 with the single "Staying Out for the Summer," which became their first Top 40 hit. It set the stage for their breakthrough album, Homegrown, which was greeted with positive reviews upon its October release. Following a year of touring in 1995, the band returned in the summer of 1996 with Free Peace Sweet, which was their biggest hit to date, spawning the hits "In A Room," "Good Enough" and "If You're Thinking of Me," which peaked at number 11.

Elefant: Born in Detroit to Argentianian parents in the late '70s, Diego Garcia immersed himself in the sounds of Iggy Pop and MC5 at an early age. Music carried him throughout his tenure in Argentina until his cardiologist father moved the family back to Tampa, FL, when Garcia was a young teenager, and by age 14 he got himself an acoustic guitar and started writing songs. As Garcia approached college life at Brown University in 1996, music was still calling him despite his course load in economics. During his junior year, Garcia realized he wanted a career in music, not in numbers. He left for New York City upon his 2000 graduation and began a mad hunt for the city's finest musicians, eventually hooking up with Circus for a brief time. A year later, Garcia gathered bassist Jeff Berrall, guitarist Mod, and drummer Kevin McAdams for the eclectic dream pop group they named Elefant. The indie imprint Kemado signed Elefant after hearing their four-song demo. The Gallery Girl EP appeared in February 2003 and the atmospheric, lush debut full-length Sunlight Makes Me Paranoid was released two months later.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Discovered in the wake of the Strokes' popularity and the subsequent garage rock revival, New York's art punk trio the Yeah Yeah Yeahs comprises singer Karen O, guitarist Nicolas Zinner, and drummer Brian Chase. O met Chase at Ohio's Oberlin College and met Zinner through friends after she transferred to N.Y.U. Zinner and O formed the band in 2000 and recruited Chase when their original drummer bowed out. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs wrote a slew of songs at their first rehearsal and soon wound up supporting the Strokes and the White Stripes, earning a significant buzz for their arty-yet-sexy take on garage punk. In late 2001, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs released their self-titled debut EP, which they recorded with Boss Hog's Jerry Teel, on their own Shifty label. Early the next year the band stepped into the international spotlight, appearing at South By Southwest, touring the U.S. with Girls Against Boys, Europe with Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, and headlining their own U.K. tour. Wichita Recordings distributed the group's EP in the U.K. and Touch and Go reissued it in the States. In between tours, the group put the finishing touches on their full-length debut, which was expected to have a fall 2002 release. American dates with Sleater-Kinney, The Liars and The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion followed throughout the rest of the year, with the Machine EP tiding over fans before their first full length.

-Jar-
04-26-2004, 04:06 PM
you'd better hit me pal.

I'll send you one of my new ones.. sure to rip your head off and hand it to you on a bloody platter..

I think you have my address dood.

-jar

ForeverAutumn
04-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Slip one in with your mystery disk if you haven't already. If only because I feel the need to know what a bands called A Trunk Full Of Dead Bodies and Zoloft The Rock And Roll Destroyer sound like. :confused:

DarrenH
04-27-2004, 05:09 AM
I'll give it a listen Finch.

I don't have any recent comps to trade.

I'll come up with something.

Thanks,

Darren

newtrix1
04-27-2004, 07:42 AM
I guess it'd be appropriate to request your comp. Maybe I'll put them both on simultaneously and enjoy double the fun.

Sorry about procrastinating on the DVD, but this weekend I had 2 things to watch, I rented Kill Bill (I know I'm probably in the minority here, but boy did that suck!). I also found the VHS Nirvana In Concert, Sold Out at the library (this made up for Kill Bill!).

thanks mon! I owe ya.

MindGoneHaywire
04-27-2004, 09:24 AM
I don't know about the minority, but I thought Kill Bill was pretty dang good. I'm not into gratuitous violence, and I'm not a devotee of Kung-Fu, John Woo, or anime, but this stylish mishmosh I thought was pretty darned entertaining. Overly ultraviolent, sure, but I remember seeing a movie called Natural Born Killers that a lot of people thought was great that I thought was a complete piece of garbage. Tarantino brings a music-lover's perspective to his films that he combines with a camp sensibility here that I think works a lot better than, say, Reservoir Dogs. Hell, I think it might've been better than Pulp Fiction, too.