why am i getting continuous humming or buzzing in speakers w/ stereo-PC connections [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : why am i getting continuous humming or buzzing in speakers w/ stereo-PC connections

Mach1 GTX
11-17-2014, 05:18 PM
I have a new Sony amplifier/receiver (model STR-DH130) connected to my PC (Dell). Everything is properly connected. However, when both the amplifier and PC are operating, to get Internet audio on the home audio system. I get a continuous humming to buzzing sound. There are no settings that I can find to adjust to get of the noise. Even the Sony manual says this kind of noise is possible when connecting auxillary equipment (PC) to the Portable jack and that this kind of noise is Normal. What is going on?

Feanor
11-18-2014, 05:26 AM
I have a new Sony amplifier/receiver (model STR-DH130) connected to my PC (Dell). Everything is properly connected. However, when both the amplifier and PC are operating, to get Internet audio on the home audio system. I get a continuous humming to buzzing sound. There are no settings that I can find to adjust to get of the noise. Even the Sony manual says this kind of noise is possible when connecting auxillary equipment (PC) to the Portable jack and that this kind of noise is Normal. What is going on?

It's not normal, on the other hand it's not uncommon. By the sound of it, you are experiencing what is called a "ground loop" which is most often experienced when components, e.g. your receiver and your PC are connected to the same electrical ground. This isn't always easy to get rid of. However try plugging the receiver and PC into different electrical outlets, preferably widely separated from each other. Another approach is called "lifting the ground", i.e. removing the third, ground plug from your AC plug -- but this can be dangerous: most equipment today is designed to be grounding and "lifting the ground" can potentially lead to damage to the equipment.

harley .guy07
11-18-2014, 07:53 AM
I also have a Dell pc as a media server on my system and it also hummed at first and the problem was a ground loop. I would try using a cheater plug that converts the 3 prong plug into a 2 prong without the ground lug on it so that you will not do any permanent damage to any plug so that you can see if the problem is the ground loop. If this works and you are not satisfied with the ground being lifted on the computer then there are ground loop isolator devices available that will keep the computer grounded while eliminating the ground loop problem.

JohnMichael
11-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Are you listening to Glenn Gould?

Feanor
11-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Are you listening to Glenn Gould?

Heehee! Kind of classical aficionado joke though: above the heads of most folk.

JohnMichael
11-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Heehee! Kind of classical aficionado joke though: above the heads of most folk.

Glad you enjoyed it.