Clean Power [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Clean Power

recoveryone
10-21-2014, 10:33 AM
I know this topic has proberly been disccused in one way or another, but I have to admit I was not a fan/believer until I witness the results for myself. When I put together my 2ch setup in the living room a few years ago I didn't think about the possible circuit issues I would have. I mean my house was built in 1993, and it never cross my mind that even a newer built home would have dirty electricty. The wall outlet that I used to power the system is on the same circuit as the kitchen, so when the ice maker or microwave kicks on I would get a pop sound. Now I only was looking to rid myself of the this potential speaker killer as I use a power strip to protect the components.

I picked up a used Panamax 500 DBS power conditioner off ebay to replaced the power strip. To my surprise not only was the popping sound gone, but the overal sound of my system was better. Being pleased with the results with my 2ch setup I picked up another unit, Panamax M4300-EX, to use with the HT system. Now I was only looking at improving the sound but what happen next was a AH HA moment. My 55" was showing signs of dying pixels in the form of graying area on the panel. After connecting the power conditioner, within the next month that graying area has gone away completly.

So I have to say that I am a BIG believer in power conditioners providing that much needed clean power to your system. We are always talking about the little things that can effect our systems and just like me I am sure there are others that may feel that the wall outlet or even a Wal Mart power strip is enough to protect your system, think again!

Anyone else have a similar experience?

frenchmon
10-21-2014, 02:33 PM
About 7 years ago I purchased a Belken PF30 and used it with my Rotel 2 Channel system. I went back and forth with it and without in the system. It was clear by a mile...with it the system was a much better performer. So I was sold. So about 3 months ago I decided to buy the Furman ELITE-15 PF i LINEAR FILTERING AC POWER SOURCE
Man am I glad I did! This thing is miles ahead of the Belkin. So I decided to put the Belkin in my home theater and I noticed the picture is much better. So yeah, I'm a believer. Also...Furman owns Panamax......same company.

Glen B
10-21-2014, 07:02 PM
After trying a variety of power line conditioners, which I ended up modifying in some way, I went with DIY balanced AC power for my main system, and have not looked back since. I use a Belkin PF-60 with my HT system.

http://forums.audioreview.com/audio-lab-tweaks-mods-diy/diy-balanced-ac-power-conditioner-5473.html

recoveryone
10-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Picked up another power conditioner today, Panamax 5100, installed it in the master bedroom as it was the next best setup in the house. Once it was all plugged up the power came on and the results were immediate, the sound quality was fuller and the display on the SB3 cleaned up a bit (screen was showing signs of fading).

Feanor
10-25-2014, 04:58 AM
After trying a variety of power line conditioners, which I ended up modifying in some way, I went with DIY balanced AC power for my main system, and have not looked back since. I use a Belkin PF-60 with my HT system.

http://forums.audioreview.com/audio-lab-tweaks-mods-diy/diy-balanced-ac-power-conditioner-5473.html

Your balance power project was most impressive.

I use a Belkin PF-60 on my mains system. The feature I most like is are the banks of outputs that are RFI/EMI isolated from each other. I as system with various digital components, perhaps including a class D amp, I think this feature is essential. Presently only my Pass Labs amp isn't powered from the Belkin; Pass Labs says it is fair insensitive to RFI/EMI and is not a source; however I always powered my Class D Audio SDS-258 from the Belkin.

Glen B
10-25-2014, 09:45 PM
I too like the Belkin PF-60's isolated outlet banks and triggered turn-on/turn-off with programmable delays. I have found the triggered outlets especially useful with amps like the SAE2300 and Phase Linear 400-II that have no power switch. Everything in my HT rack here, as well as two powered subs, are plugged into the PF-60.

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/mr_classe/Systems/IMG_0230_zps9609f301.jpg~original