P lease read! Mods, please sticky. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : P lease read! Mods, please sticky.

Finch Platte
09-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Most of us realize now that this site is f'ed up to the point where it's very difficult and unpleasant to use.

Saddest part may be that when you post something, you might not realize that someone has answered it, due to the fact that your post may not show any views! Case in point: Mike, a returning member, starts a thread. If he starts that thread, then comes back to the site, at a quick glance, he may think no one has responded. AU CONTRAIRE! Mike, if you'll check that thread, you'll notice several of us have responded. Same with the Swish thread, I responded, but he may never notice, because it still shows no views.

Please check your threads!

I'd like to make this a 'problems with Rave Recordings thread' so when we alert a higher-up to the problems with the site, we can show them this thread.

It took me about 20 minutes to post this :angry grrrr goddam it:

fp

ForeverAutumn
09-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Against my better judgement to do anything that involved Finch and Sticky, I did try to stick the thread, but the Sticky won't stick. :(

This site sucks giant hippo balls.

JohnMichael
09-25-2014, 09:12 PM
Sadly it is not anything the mods can fix. I think the site has been hacked and all the suspended spammers keep coming back. My computer shuts itself down with warnings of danger, danger Will Robinson.

noddin0ff
09-26-2014, 05:49 AM
This is sad. I haven't posted much but I still check in most days. Now I don't even do that 'cause the site is a mess.

I've been tuned into so much great music thanks to you all, I hate to see it die this way. If there's a site to migrate too, keep me posted.

cheers,
n0

ForeverAutumn
09-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Progressive Ears is my new Audio Review. It reminds me of how things used to be around here. Great discussions on all sorts of topics from music (both prog and non-prog) to hockey, and even TV shows and books.

It's what this site used to be, without the music sharing (at least not publicly). The music topics are a little different being mostly about progressive rock, but there is some discussion about non-prog bands too (although not as much as here). If you like that type of music, you should check it out.

It's a privately run site, funded voluntarily by the members so there are no ads. Ad the mods are very strict. Trolls, and topics that get out of control, are dealt with swiftly.

blackraven
09-26-2014, 07:09 AM
Audioshark is another good forum. It is very civilized and they have zero tolerance. There are a few AR members on Audioshark. Audio Circles is another good forum with at least 50 posts per day.

I too am sad about the demise of this site as I learned quite a bit from a lot of people.
Many thanks to every one.

JohnMichael
09-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Oh I can still sticky! I had not tried since FA could not but it is now sticky.

Hyfi
09-26-2014, 09:32 AM
I thought nobody replied, Finch.

Anyway, it has been a long fun ride since somewhere around 1992 for me. Lots of great people have come, gone, stayed, and come back from time to time, but it will never be what it was.

Thanks to the mods of today and yesterday for the dedication and time they gave for the rest of us.

I also appreciate all of the music I would have never known about if it wasnt for the days of trading comps or the fabulous surprise packages I still find in my mail from time to time.

As I join new sites that I have not been a member of for the last 20 years, you will find me as Shadowfax.

RIP AR

ForeverAutumn
09-26-2014, 12:04 PM
So I now see this at the top of my page,

Hello ForeverAutumn,
It appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

LOL! This site is SO ****ed!

Finch Platte
09-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Oh I can still sticky! I had not tried since FA could not but it is now sticky.

Thanks, John. All my keyboard buttons are now tacky, like most of my posts. :)

Mr Peabody
09-26-2014, 04:06 PM
AR is the first audio site I ran across back in the day so I always tried to stick with it. I also enjoy trying to help others and talking the hobby. As I posted on another thread I too was turned onto a lot of new to me bands and music via Rave Recordings. Not to mention members I've been able to meet. If AR doesn't make it I'll miss you guys. You'll recognize me, I always use Mr Peabody just for that reason.

I sort of feel betrayed by AR as I can understand maybe some reason the site can't be fixed for a period of time but we have received no response from AR, it's like no one runs it any more. Where's Geoffcin? I actually see his name and Atom's at the bottom of pages occasionally. How do the Mods become Mods, isn't there any one to contact? Some one could chime in and say what's goin on and ask members to hang on. I guess if no one else cares, why should we.

Audio Circle is difficult to find the forums, especially just audio. Audio Shark blew up from it's start but for some reason I only get 10 posts a page and many of the threads are long. I know that sounds petty but it's surprising the things you find bug you. I don't mind diving into a long thread sometimes but I just hate having to changes pages so much. I post at AA but things get slow there too and their music page sucks, no one wants to discuss anything they just want to post music files to listen to. I posted about the new Opeth there and some one made a comment because I didn't leave a link. I suppose I'll live even if I have to get forced out of my comfort zone, LOL

3LB
09-27-2014, 02:55 PM
The demise of this site has been years in coming. Its been dying since around '08 or so. Rave Recs pretty much became a daily blog for a few members and though a many others lurked, they never posted and those that did wanted to talk about formats or their searches for obscure pressings of classic rock albums on vinyl or agonizing over the inferiority of digital... the same thing that brought once vibrant music discussion boards like Audio Asylum and Audio Karma to a crawl. At PE, discussions are still predominantly music related and there is a sense of community. But, as FA stated, its a niche driven site. There are discussions about other genres, non-prog artists, off topic silliness (but fun silliness as long as its witty) and the occasional agonizing over digital-vs-analog formats, but the overriding sentiment is a love of music regardless of format or hipster cred.

ForeverAutumn
09-27-2014, 07:07 PM
the overriding sentiment is a love of music regardless of format or hipster cred.
PE is about as far from hipster cred as it gets! :)