Bass Shakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bass Shakers

JeffKnob
04-26-2004, 10:20 AM
I recently purchased 4 Aura Bass Shakers for my couch and love seat. I have a AudioSource 5.2 amp powering them with a 4ohm load. The signal is coming from a Yamaha RX-V1400. I have not been able to get much movement from these shakers or at least as much as I thought. According to the specs of the amp each shaker should be getting about 37.5 watts which is in the power range. I have the sub-out on my amp is split to go to a power amp for my DIY subwoofers and to my amp for the bass shakers. I originally thought the signal was week because of all the splitting but when I just connected the bass shakers it didn't improve any. The subwoofer level on the receiver is already set to +4 to blend the bass with the other speakers.

Does anybody know if there is some sort of trick to these bass shakers? Is there a possibility that I blew the bass shakers? Can that even happen? I am not sure how similar these are to speakers. Am I expecting too much? I have thought about purchasing a couple of the bass shaker pro's for the main couch but I really don't want to have to spend any more money on this.

mtrycraft
04-26-2004, 03:23 PM
I recently purchased 4 Aura Bass Shakers for my couch and love seat. I have a AudioSource 5.2 amp powering them with a 4ohm load. The signal is coming from a Yamaha RX-V1400. I have not been able to get much movement from these shakers or at least as much as I thought. According to the specs of the amp each shaker should be getting about 37.5 watts which is in the power range. I have the sub-out on my amp is split to go to a power amp for my DIY subwoofers and to my amp for the bass shakers. I originally thought the signal was week because of all the splitting but when I just connected the bass shakers it didn't improve any. The subwoofer level on the receiver is already set to +4 to blend the bass with the other speakers.

Does anybody know if there is some sort of trick to these bass shakers? Is there a possibility that I blew the bass shakers? Can that even happen? I am not sure how similar these are to speakers. Am I expecting too much? I have thought about purchasing a couple of the bass shaker pro's for the main couch but I really don't want to have to spend any more money on this.

I think they need to be physically attached to the sofa frame itself. Did you do this?

JeffKnob
04-26-2004, 03:50 PM
I think they need to be physically attached to the sofa frame itself. Did you do this?

Yes, I have them mounted to the wood part of the couch. They are mounted verically and facing opposite directions. Could their movements be canceling each other out?

mtrycraft
04-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Yes, I have them mounted to the wood part of the couch. They are mounted verically and facing opposite directions. Could their movements be canceling each other out?

Not sure but could be. Try it in the same direction. What does the direction has to say?

JeffKnob
04-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Not sure but could be. Try it in the same direction. What does the direction has to say?

The directions say very little. It says how much power they can handle and to mount them to a solid surface.

N. Abstentia
04-26-2004, 05:06 PM
I would think facing them towards each other would not be a good thing. Also make sure you don't have them wired out of phase with each other. I would definitely face them all the same way though.

JeffKnob
04-26-2004, 07:43 PM
I am going to try two things. First I am going to move the bass shakers so they are firing the same direction as to rule out the idea of them canceling out each other. Second, I read on the website of one of the bass shakers competitors that the amp they include with their unit needs a strong signal from the reciever. They offered a solution with a RCA amplifier from radioshack. If these don't work I will just buy more bass shakers.

Rock789
12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
howdy,
I see this is a couple years old, but what happened, did you ever get the bass shakers working right?
are you happy with the results?

N. Abstentia
12-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Yeah I was scrolling down through there and saw a post from ME...hey I didn't post that! Oh yeah I did...over two years ago :)

JeffKnob
12-05-2006, 02:28 PM
howdy,
I see this is a couple years old, but what happened, did you ever get the bass shakers working right?
are you happy with the results?

Yeah... They are working great. I have a sectional (3 parts) and a chair now so there is only one regular bass shaker attached to each part. Some would say that this isn't enough but I have been quite pleased. They do give the illusion of more bass without upsetting the neighbors.

Rock789
12-05-2006, 07:39 PM
sweet,
what are you using to power them?
I have an old pioneer prologic receiver I was thinking of using for something like this...
not sure thats enough power though?

JeffKnob
12-07-2006, 05:50 AM
I have an AudioSource amp 5.2 which splits 150 watts between 4 of them. That is plenty of power. They don't need as much power as I am giving them. A lot of people just use an old receiver to power them.

hifitommy
12-10-2006, 02:05 PM
and buy a good subwoofer.