Majority of Americans are single [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Majority of Americans are single

Smokey
09-24-2014, 12:14 PM
This is an interesting statics. Single Americans make up more than half of the adult population for the first time since the government began compiling such statistics in 1976.

Some 124.6 million Americans were single in August, 50.2 percent of those who were 16 years or older, according to data used by the Bureau of Labor Statistic. In 1976, it was 37.4 percent and has been trending upward since.

The percentage of adult Americans who have never married has risen to 30.4 percent from 22.1 percent in 1976, while the proportion that are divorced, separated or widowed increased to 19.8 percent from 15.3 percent, according to the economist.

http://www.bloomberg.com/image/i5kUtaPYUPf8.jpg

Is Everybody Single? More Than Half the U.S. Now, Up From 37% in '76 - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-09/single-americans-now-comprise-more-than-half-the-u-s-population.html)

Feanor
09-24-2014, 02:54 PM
I'd guess this trend is happening in most developed countries. It implies lower birth rates. Our home-grown populations will be out-breed by nations and by immigrant groups who don't yet have the developed-nation social perspective -- oh well. However eventually, most sociologists agree, standards of living rise, most nations will witness declining birthrates: a good thing given the squeeze on world land & resources.

I note that Yardeni argues that some many singles distort inequality statistics. That would be "family income" figures, obviously because a single-person family will tend to have a lower "family" income that a couple who, today, are most likely to both work.

Smokey
09-25-2014, 07:25 PM
I note that Yardeni argues that some many singles distort inequality statistics. That would be "family income" figures, obviously because a single-person family will tend to have a lower "family" income that a couple who, today, are most likely to both work.Urban legend has it that single poeple's expenses are less than couples since no children and less household expenses. But that is not true. Couples have two paychecks and more monetary safety net than singles. That is why couples can afford to buy house, but it be harder for single poeple :)

Feanor
10-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Urban legend has it that single poeple's expenses are less than couples since no children and less household expenses. But that is not true. Couples have two paychecks and more monetary safety net than singles. That is why couples can afford to buy house, but it be harder for single poeple :)

Yes, true, Smokey. But the bottom line is still that household incomes are lower for single vs. multi-income households. Yardeni was talking about incomes, not expenses.