The Office (the TV show) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Office (the TV show)

Stone
04-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Has anyone seen this?

It's a British sit-com about a particular department in a paper company. It kind of plays like a reality show (i.e., there's some narration and the main character talks directly into the camera at times like he's being interviewed).

I bought the DVD of the first season, after reading rave reviews about it, and watched the first two episodes. So far, it hasn't struck me as all that funny. I even turned the subtitles on at one point to make sure I was getting all of the dialogue. What am I missing?

Stone

Mike
04-27-2004, 06:41 AM
I’m an office fan but to be honest I’m surprised at the extent of its global popularity. I mean when they picked up the two Golden Globes by all accounts most people in the US had never even heard of the programme let alone seen it. IMO it’s good, but not that good and rapidly becoming a victim of its own hype.

If you don’t get it don’t worry I know lots of people who don’t understand what all the fuss is about. It’s satire which we are continually told Americans don’t do satire, which in my opinion is complete bull you do satire as good as anybody. The appeal for me is in two parts firstly it’s original, very well written with good characters and secondly the ‘mocumentary’ format of filming, in fact when I first saw it I thought it was a documentary. The way Brent just sort of glances sideways at the camera now and then just kills me.

The character of David Brent is excruciatingly painful to watch and listen to. He’s bigoted, clumsy, racist, inept and totally oblivious to all his failings. To anybody who has worked in an office (and I don’t believe it’s something peculiar to the UK which may explain it’s worldwide appeal) he typifies the crass middle management clap trap we all have to suffer, it’s all about surviving in today’s middle management office mediocrity. We went to see him live a week or two ago and his live show is basically an extension of David Brent’s philosophies, very funny.

In a recent survey of teenagers in the UK more of them recognised Brent’s classic office quotes than some by our great bard Shakespeare. Says it all really.

1. Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
2. Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
3. There may be no 'I' in team, but there's a 'ME' if you look hard enough.
4. Remember that age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.
5. Never do today that which will become someone else’s responsibility tomorrow.
7. Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.
8. Show me a good loser and I'll show you a LOSER!
9. Put the key of despair into the lock of apathy. Turn the knob of mediocrity slowly and open the gates of despondency - welcome to a day in the average office.
10. it’s the team that matters. Where would The Beatles be without Ringo? If John got Yoko to play drums the history of music would be completely different.

Cheers
Mike