Yamaha rx-v3900 right side sound only on certain inputs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha rx-v3900 right side sound only on certain inputs

mssurrey
09-17-2014, 09:15 PM
I've had a Yamaha rx-v3900 for the past 5 years now and all of a sudden it's developed a problem.

The issue:
I'm only getting sound from one (right-side) speaker at the front. At first I thought it might be the speaker and so I tried different inputs (CD, BD, cable box, phono) and found that on some inputs such as BD and cable (audio and video) I'm getting sound from all speakers, but when I change to other inputs like Phono and CD, I only get sound from the right side speaker(s).

I also tested different audio settings such as 7 channel and Yamaha DSPs, and the same issue arose. For example if a CD plays using 7 channel enhanced, there's no sound out of the entire left speakers (front, Surround, rear surround) - only out of the corresponding right side. On pure direct the same problem arises - the problem all depends on the input source.

We had a power outage recently - although the unit is plugged into an APC power conditioner and I have a whole house surge protector. Nothing else was damaged (eg computers, Tv etc) so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the issue.
Also, the receiver is in an open rack with plenty of air circulation so again I don't think this is an issue.

This is the second Yamaha receiver I've had and it really surprises me that it has an issue like this?

Has anyone come across this before?
I assume this means something has blown inside?
Does anyone have a solution (other than buying a new receiver)?

bfalls
09-18-2014, 04:22 AM
It sounds like an issue with the two-channel analog inputs to the preamp. Do you have a BD player connected using only the digital input (coax, HDMI). What happens when you play a cd in stereo? It's strange you get only one side in the 7-channel (I assume stereo) format since all channels would be derived from the two stereo channels. It seems even if only one channel would be available, if the right channels could be derived, the left channels would also. I think you will be looking for a new receiver.

mssurrey
09-19-2014, 10:29 AM
It sounds like an issue with the two-channel analog inputs to the preamp. Do you have a BD player connected using only the digital input (coax, HDMI). What happens when you play a cd in stereo? It's strange you get only one side in the 7-channel (I assume stereo) format since all channels would be derived from the two stereo channels. It seems even if only one channel would be available, if the right channels could be derived, the left channels would also. I think you will be looking for a new receiver.

BD is connected via HDMI. Triod again today and the same issue. Every digital input works (cable box, BD all connected via HDMI). Only issue is with analog inputs (Cd is connected with RCA cables) - no sound from left channel. I also tried every input using pure direct(received bypass) and the same issue. ???